Hyde Park - Perch - Reports - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hyde Park - Perch - Reports

First and foremost, a thank you to RonG for sharing his lures of choice for using artificials for perch, and a hearty thank you to mplant1 for sharing his rig of choice for said artificials.

Fished 63rd St Pier from 12:00-5:00 and it was tough going. Morning crew picked up a few, but the afternoon was tough fishing on everybody - didn't see a single perch caught... except for the 2 jumbos I landed using jigs and artificials.

First time ever catching fish off 63rd, and first time ever catching jumbos. It was pretty satisfying given my last disappointing venture out to 63rd (involving a bucket of dead minnows and tons of snagged gear). Only lost 1 jig and fluke today.

Saw a ton of baitfish along the pier, but nothing big (aside from carp) following 'em.

Hope to make it out tomorrow for the morning bite. I've tied a few more jig rigs in anticipation. I'm not certain I even know what I'm supposed to be doing when "jigging." I'm just using a simple lift, reel, settle to floor, repeat - I guess not the most effective means of jigging.
Jay K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nice fish!

Thanks for the honorable mention. What kind of plastics were you using on your jigs?

Soon when the perch are in thicker you can get a better feel of what presentation best triggers strikes that day. With a little more catching, you get more confidence. Arriving with confidence with any type of fishing produces more fish landed.

I used to show up with minnows as a backup, then weened myself of that. Then I kept an empty minnow pail in the car, just in case I wanted to run off of the bait store, then weened myself of that. I kept building confidence, now I only show up with artificials this time of year. It also gives you determination to keep pushing your skills and knowledge each and every day to be successful when you have no live bait to fall back on.

Last year it seemed like there was some curiosity on the artificials for perch thing. And some boneheads that just wanted to argue against it. Still a bit of stubbornness this year too. Not sure why... Jealousy? Laziness to get fat butts of of buckets and captain's chairs and do some moving around and casting? Probably will never know for sure. But, this year many are jumping in and many are surprising themselves with instant success. I pay keen attention to what's going on with the anglers around me and for 3 seasons now, I've observed who clearly is landing more fish.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

**** dude. those are some jumbos! i love 63rd too. not too many people out there and the guys are mostly regulars. i have spent some time down there in the fall for kings.

ron is right - once the perch are in thicker, you'll gain more and more confidence not using minnows. i'd suggest gaining confidence in those jigs, then try a shad rap. oh man... now that's fun!

no problem on the tips. ask away and we're happy to help out. that's what fishing websites are for (sometimes fishing websites are good for arguments too...that's always fun)

one suggestion if you are able to - get out there EARLY. best bites are always in the early am hours. it's much tougher in the afternoon
mplant1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2009, 04:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to bigron08

Hey Mplant and Ron can U share the lure and rig with me? I went out yesterday mornig with a little action. I ended up with 4 gobies and 2 nice perch. lol my buddy ended up with 8 nice ones, which he donated to my father in-law charity, to make it a perfect 10. i started out using a berkley power bait (minnow), a few bumbs on it but no takers. used a mimic minnow with no hits. switched to 2 small jigs, which the gobies loved, even broke out my kast master with only a few bumbs. then i broke down and went 2 henry's and got minnows and thats how i got my 2. i would of prefered not 2 but i was with future daddy in-law and my fiance who were getting fustrated with the no bites, as well as i was getting fustrated in her complaining about the method of jigging. just like a lil kid, pulling the rod away from me when i'm trying to help her out... so i said to myself let me got get them some minnows before i loose my mind out here. they caught some but were all lil guys and throw backs. i thought about heading back to 39th with my buddy but told the family we are going to Kankakee state park this morning to float u guessed it minnows. I will be hitting up the lake during the week, so any info U guys wouldn't mind sharing would be great. That Berkley power bait minnow was good for me last year. It got me a few nice jumbos but produced a lot of nice rock bass on the lake front by the yacht club while perch fishing.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

RonG- Zoom Tiny Flukes in watermelon and some white color - they didn't have the ice that you showed in your pictorial. I thought the watermelon look sorta "goby-ish."

Unfortunately, I don't have 1/32 jigs, just bought the 1/16 pack so both are the same, although tied in different lengths a la mplant/WW method.

mplant- The 63rd regulars are indeed a great bunch. I met a few the couple times I've been on the pier and they're just great people to fish around. AND as you mentioned before, Sat night that area is ROCKIN... music, BBQ, dancing...

Well pride goeth before a fall... I thought due to my prideful boasting yesterday, I was destined to eat skunk. Fished 63rd from 9-12 and it was unproductive; Didn't wake up for the 5am run as planned.

Again a TON of baitfish swimming around - HUGE clouds of 'em... crazy.

Saw 2 jumbos taken (1 on a drop shot rig w/ dead minnow & another on a tube tipped w/ live minnow) while I was there in the same size or bigger than those pictured above. Overall slow fishing for everyone. Only 4 fish in the baskets amongst 8 or so people on the pier.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron08
Hey Mplant and Ron can U share the lure and rig with me?
RIG

Generally has a 1/16 oz jig on the longer leader (bottom) and a 1/32 oz on the shorter leader (top). Often I'll use two different minnows on the jigs

ASSORTMENT

I couldn't find my Tiny Flukes for the family photo. I don't care much for the Fluke Jrs. (pictured)

Old 06-01-2009, 07:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Westwind Send a message via MSN to Westwind

Good to see you caught a couple of jumbos. Sure beats hauling minnows around and trying to keep them alive. Welcome to the jigging club! As Mplant mentioned get there EARLY. The best action runs from about an hour before sunrise and about an hour after.
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Found my lost bag. Here's my numero uno artificial, Tiny Flukes.

I like the Zooms. Many of the Berkley's are better suited for Courtney. They have glittery "power scales" that get on your hands and ultimately on your face or wherever else you may scratch yourself. Better suited for women who wish to look pretty (in their opinion), or tacky (in my opinion.)
Old 06-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

The tiny flukes are the only thing that caught these for us on Sunday morning:

1/16th and 1/8th oz. plain roundhead jigs, green albino color fluke.

XPS Static Shad got em Saturday.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default 63rd St Pier - Perch - 6/11/09 & 6/12/09

6-11-09
Thought i might be crazy to go out. Stayed up past 230AM working and missed the 5am roll call at 63rd. Regulars were out already. Windsorparker already had 4 in his basket, but had just lost his deadly Kastmaster. Made it out my usual 6-7AM and took a bath. Glad for it though cause the bite was ON! Left the pier with 4 after losing my tandem jigs after the first 2- retying was a biotch. Eddie showed up and began hammering 'em one after another on a shad rap. The two other anglers quickly followed suit and started killing 'em. Saw 10-15 caught before I left for work. I got my first double jumbo on the tandem jig. THAT was awesome- glad I brought the net.

Wish I coulda stayed, but work was calling and I was drenched (water in my boots). Gotta get some frog togs. I woulda never guessed it, but today was the hottest day perch fishing yet.

6-12-09
Fished 63rd this AM, as has been my usual this week. Hopping mad b/c the gates weren't open at 5AM (got up just to try to make the 5AM bite). Turns out most of the anglers drive around the gates - I wasn't gonna chance a ticket (that would drive up the price of my perch too much).

Perch bite was on 5AM for those fishing minnows on bottom crappie rigs. One gentleman had a basket of 12+ hefty-sized keepers. Others had 4-5. Bite was off by the time I showed up. Caught 1 on tandem jig plastics.

Bite was off for shad rap (which worked wonders yesterday in the storm). Plastics and kastmasters were also out of luck.

Think the bite died w/ the early sunrise this morning - the high and heavy sun probably drove 'em out. They were also lazier this AM. Yesterday in the storm they were hitting 'em hard and fast - hence the luck of the shad rap. This AM they were lazy and wanted minnows on a crappie rig (too bad I don't fish that way).

Will try again tomorrow, but not waste gas circling for 45 minutes until the gates open. Will sleep in and hit the pier at 6AM (despite the bite probably being off by then).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in