boating question... - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2009, 11:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default boating question...

never fished for perch on the lake b4 with a boat but was wondering if it matters which way wind direction is while on a boat?? was planning on trying with a boat monday morning b4 it gets too congested with all the summer festivals coming real soon. also does anyone have any info on the launch across from northerly island (i think that's what the place is called).
privateer7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2009, 03:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

1) Any mix of North/East winds usually means rougher waters. Strong north winds means, get the **** off the lake for any small boats.

2) Check NOAA before you go out. Save yourself a wasted trip. I think this is the link you would be looking for, for launching out of Burnham. Pay attention to the wave reports, and keep an eye on incoming weather to stay safe. http://www.crh.noaa.gov/product.php?sit ... suedby=lot

3) Burnham Harbor is what is across from Northerly Island. I believe the cost to launch there is something like $20.
Ed1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2009, 06:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed1979
1)

2) Check NOAA before you go out. Save yourself a wasted trip. I think this is the link you would be looking for, for launching out of Burnham. Pay attention to the wave reports, and keep an eye on incoming weather to stay safe. http://www.crh.noaa.gov/product.php?sit ... suedby=lot .
It can save one a trip, but................. their reports are not 100%.

Unless they are reporting 4+ footers O.K., but there have been times that their reports are a bit mis-leading? I like going down there for a VISUAL with my own eyes & then make the decision. I can't tell you how many trips I did'nt go on because of the reports. Then a day or two later found out that it was'nt as BAD as STATED.

So IMO; I go & make my own decision when I can look at the lake with my own eyes. Don't get me wrong I don't go out & get trashed around in a boat. It's not my idea for a good day fishin'.
I have the time & pick-my days.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Nikster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh, I agree. That's why you need to watch the weather as well. If you've got N/NE winds blowing around the lake at 15-20 mph, then it is pretty safe to assume the lake is going to be rough that day. For someone that hasn't been out on Lake Michigan with his boat before, he'd be better off playing it safe with ANY kind of unfavorable weather reports.
Ed1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanx guys, i will definately check the weather before heading out and will post results.
privateer7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in