6/15 Courtney goes better than eleven for eleven. - Page 2 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big saw
Oh ok. I guess some city worker with a hand held Zebco fish therm knows more than the National guard, National weather service, and a variety of weather beacons and satelites. LOL.
All you have to do is FEEL the water, and you can tell it is NOWHERE NEAR 70 degrees. It is still very, very cold for this time of year.

Even looking at the link you posted, I see a ton of 63-66 degrees water. Do you really think that those spots on the map, that far offshore, are 75 degrees already, like the map states? With 63 degrees water right next to it? I find that extremely hard to believe. Maybe that is the surface temps and not the water temp at the bottom? The water at the bottom is what affects the crawfish molting. With the N/NE winds we've had all of June, and the cool temps, there is NO WAY the water is 69 degrees along the lakeshore right now. ****, the average AIR temperature hasn't even been that high.

http://weblogs.wgntv.com/chicago-weathe ... for-2.html

As of June 12th, the average temp at O'Hare, was 59.5 degrees.... How in the **** would the water have warmed to 69 degrees already?
Ed1979 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 11:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Perch , just like any predator eat what is easiest to obtain. It is easier to capture and eat a molting crayfish because they are lethargic when they molt and remain so for 24 to 48 hours until the new shell hardens. they will molt 1-6 times per year. The youngest crayfish molting the most frequently simply because they grow the most.The fish I have been cleaning have alewives, gobys, emerald shinners, chubs and crayfish up to 5 inches long. If you feel the water is such that it merits using minnows or minnow type baits use them. And as you said older fish retain the ability to remember what softshells smell like and pursue them if they are presented to them. Older fish equates to Larger fish which is what I have been catching. All I know is that softshells have been clobbering them for over a week, the water temp is 66-69, and I had perch for lunch and dinner today. Good luck fishing.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big saw
Perch , just like any predator eat what is easiest to obtain. It is easier to capture and eat a molting crayfish because they are lethargic when they molt and remain so for 24 to 48 hours until the new shell hardens. they will molt 1-6 times per year. The youngest crayfish molting the most frequently simply because they grow the most.The fish I have been cleaning have alewives, gobys, emerald shinners, chubs and crayfish up to 5 inches long. If you feel the water is such that it merits using minnows or minnow type baits use them. And as you said older fish retain the ability to remember what softshells smell like and pursue them if they are presented to them. Older fish equates to Larger fish which is what I have been catching. All I know is that softshells have been clobbering them for over a week, the water temp is 66-69, and I had perch for lunch and dinner today. Good luck fishing.
I'm not saying that softshells don't work. Far from it. For the price, they BETTER catch perch. I'm just saying that I don't think the water temps are high enough for the perch to be feeding almost entirely on softshells. Which, typically, is when fishing with anything but that, is extremely slow and difficult. They are way too expensive to use unless absolutely necessary, and as most people will attest, good perch can still be caught on minnows/imitators.
Ed1979 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 11:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

I guess I have to help everyone. Northeast winds in eary summer which is what it is now push surface water towards us. Those surface temps rise quickly when the sun beats on them all day. The water temp can and does rise to above the ambient temperature. The 1st 6" of water in ANY body of water retain the most heat. Those NE winds that crash into our shore are slammed downward thus creating warmer water for the whole lake front. Certainly the entire water column is not 66-69 degrees. Just the surface temp is that temperature. But the rest of the water is above 60 degrees which, combined with longer sunlight periods, triggers the 1st molt of the year. When the wind shifts to the west and southwest the process is reversed. Lastly, just because the avg temp has been 59 degrees does not mean that water can be substantially warmer. Basic physics dictates that liquids retain heat for much greater periods of time than do gases, ie air. I don't know how much clearer I can make it.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:49 AM   #15 (permalink)

Bsaw, I can't make heads or tails out of your temperature map. The last time I saw colorful giant pixels like that on a screen, the year was 1982. I was kicking all my friend's butts on Atari Tank Combat. Man, that was fun!

Here's a more sensible map.

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/glc ... pe=N&hr=09

Surface temps are closer to 60. There's no way the warmer 6" of surface water is quickly warming all that volume of water under it. Heck the sun's not shining half the time during the day and traditionally not much at night anymore. Air temps here have been cold with the global cooling crisis and locally, the coldest June in Chicago history.

I'm not going to argue what perch are can be caught on. I've seen guys use softshells and catch winter perch at Navy Pier. That doesn't match any molting hatch. One January day, the guy catching the biggest perch was using nightcrawlers. On the same day, I caught a double - two perch simultaneously mouth-hooked on the same unbaited gold hook.

As Ed said, the big molt that drives the perch softshell-bonkers hasn't happened yet. It's tough to get them to hit anything else at that time. From all the reports I've read, the gobies have been more interested in the softshells thus far than the perch.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:57 AM   #16 (permalink)

Interesting map. It verifies just exactly what I said earlier. Water temps are at 66+- a degree. Look at the map you provided. And if there has not been a crayfish molt yet where did all the baitshops get the softshells from? Strange huh ? I guess I'm the only one who understands how winds affect Lake Mich. It's really not that important that you grasp what I'm trying to provide. But if you did you really would catch a lot more perch and they would be quality fish. Possibly you should have stuck with the Atari. It would seem that some will never have an understanding of how wind, sun, rains, etc. affect water. Physics do not lie.

Some facts
1)Harbors are 3-5 degrees warmer than outer lake temps. Why? Because they are mud and silt covered and warm faster. Black absorbs light, hence heat.
2)Shoreline temps are 1-2 degrees warmer than outer lake temps. Why? Because the sun and ultraviolet rays permeate the cement and shoreline rock and hold heat for days.
3)Crayfish in Lake michigan begin to molt at 60 degrees. Temperature is not the only factor that contribute to molting. Length of daylight and moon phases also contribute.
4)The top 6"-12" of water in Lake Michigan is responsible for changing the temperature of the shoreline more than any other factor. It is constantly moving towards or away from shore.

Don't know what else I can do to explain it to anyone so at this point I'll just leave it alone and continue to catch fish at Lake mich and the other many many lakes and rivers that I fish, with successful results. Now it's almost 4:00 am so I have to go to the lake and catch another limit. Ill probably be home by 7:00am for perch and eggs. Good luck fishing
Old 06-16-2009, 04:50 AM   #17 (permalink)

Default Re: 6/15 Courtney goes better than eleven for eleven.

????????????
  Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2009, 04:54 AM   #18 (permalink)

Default Re: 6/15 Courtney goes better than eleven for eleven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyLovesPerch
Got out after work. Headed down to the front of the Lake Michigan and arrived around 6:45pm.

Wasn't expecting anything to exciting. The same weather pattern has been hanging around too long and from what I have read it seems that anglers are being forced to spend hundreds of dollars just to catch some perch.

Was wondering where to start out when I thought to myself....W.W.J.R.D? (what would Joel Reiser do?) So I headed to a part of the lakefront that no one else would be fishing, away from the crowd...That my friends is not only how you can catch a twenty pound salmon but a ton of perch as well.

Found my lonely and secluded stretch of shoreline and started tossing a jig, managed to catch a few decent fish rather quickly. Decided to keep the limit at 11 inches or better. Anything less is simply no longer pleasurable.

Caught a pile of rockies and many small perch anywhere from 8 to just under 11 inches.

Birds were diving after softshells or alewives (what is the difference?)so I decided to toss the shad of raps for awhile and managed to pick up a few more keepers. I replaced the plastic tail on my 32nd head jig and tossed out the tandem rig into the lake....On the way down there was a tap, set the hook and the perch put up a good fight, dove down and broke off the 32nd jig on the rocks....Bummer!

The wind had died down so I cut off the remaining leader line and proceeded to fish with only the 1/16th oz jig.

Fishing picked up but darkness was falling and I knew I was running out of time. Fished up until dark. Kept 11 perches at 11 inches or better.

The fish in the lower right is just barely over eleven and the fish at the top middle is well over fourteen.

Lost one jig and two plastics...One was simply so tore up that it could no longer hold the hook and had to be replaced

Caught a pile of perch tonight...Cost maybe $0.50. Hands smelled like glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelreiser
When the **** did this site become storytime? It is amazing how one fills his thread with adjectives and he becomes a "role" model. What a waste to read, especially if its a report.
Charles Barkley and I believe that parents should be role models.

I tried to use less adjectives so that I wouldn't be considered a role model. Adjectives have never gotten me anywhere but in trouble. I hate adjectives. They truly don't define or describe me.

Good fishing. Get them crabs.

OXOXOXOXOX,

Courtney

Just more of the "Look at me" syndrome. Again, no useful informarion, just pure speculation. A couple cheep digs at good standing members. Not one mention of the color jig heshe was using. Just another lame attempt to antagonize folks.

It's called "bragging" Clark, and vey lame. For all we know the pic is an old one or a collection of all fish caught by clark and crew.

You see Clark, I was at Montrose yesterday evening. I walked from the mouth of the harbor to the tip of the question mark and back(between 7 and 8). Saw only ONE, I repeat, ONE fish caught. Therefore, the preceding story is BS and Courtney is FOS. You were not there. You need to get a firm grasp on reality Clarkney, you're loosing it.

HERE COMES THE HISSY FIT
  Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2009, 05:01 AM   #19 (permalink)

I for one, am learning A LOT from this thread... Sort of... OK, not really... I think I'm still stuck going out whenever I can; Fishing whatever I have and hoping I get lucky. Sorta like my dating life back in the day too...

Actually I still don't even quite understand the wind thing- Do west winds mean winds coming from the west blowin towards the east or vice versa? That's kinda what I surmise...
Jay K is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2009, 05:58 AM   #20 (permalink)

I believe you Courtney. I'd be shocked if a fine lady such as yourself told a lie I was walking on North Beach the other day and I think I saw you. 5'8'', 105lbs, jet black hair, D cup, legs that just seem to go on and on and on. It was a thing of beauty
FishinMatt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in