6/15 Courtney goes better than eleven for eleven. - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 6/15 Courtney goes better than eleven for eleven.

Got out after work. Headed down to the front of the Lake Michigan and arrived around 6:45pm.

Wasn't expecting anything to exciting. The same weather pattern has been hanging around too long and from what I have read it seems that anglers are being forced to spend hundreds of dollars just to catch some perch.

Was wondering where to start out when I thought to myself....W.W.J.R.D? (what would Joel Reiser do?) So I headed to a part of the lakefront that no one else would be fishing, away from the crowd...That my friends is not only how you can catch a twenty pound salmon but a ton of perch as well.

Found my lonely and secluded stretch of shoreline and started tossing a jig, managed to catch a few decent fish rather quickly. Decided to keep the limit at 11 inches or better. Anything less is simply no longer pleasurable.

Caught a pile of rockies and many small perch anywhere from 8 to just under 11 inches.

Birds were diving after softshells or alewives (what is the difference?)so I decided to toss the shad of raps for awhile and managed to pick up a few more keepers. I replaced the plastic tail on my 32nd head jig and tossed out the tandem rig into the lake....On the way down there was a tap, set the hook and the perch put up a good fight, dove down and broke off the 32nd jig on the rocks....Bummer!

The wind had died down so I cut off the remaining leader line and proceeded to fish with only the 1/16th oz jig.

Fishing picked up but darkness was falling and I knew I was running out of time. Fished up until dark. Kept 11 perches at 11 inches or better.

The fish in the lower right is just barely over eleven and the fish at the top middle is well over fourteen.

Lost one jig and two plastics...One was simply so tore up that it could no longer hold the hook and had to be replaced

Caught a pile of perch tonight...Cost maybe $0.50. Hands smelled like glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelreiser
When the **** did this site become storytime? It is amazing how one fills his thread with adjectives and he becomes a "role" model. What a waste to read, especially if its a report.
Charles Barkley and I believe that parents should be role models.

I tried to use less adjectives so that I wouldn't be considered a role model. Adjectives have never gotten me anywhere but in trouble. I hate adjectives. They truly don't define or describe me.

Good fishing. Get them crabs.

OXOXOXOXOX,

Courtney
CourtneyLovesPerch is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Great job. It makes sense that the fish are turning back to shad, alewives and shinners. The water temps are currently from 66-69 degrees depending on the area and daily changing currents and wind. With the first crayfish molt of the year being pretty much over the transition back to baitfish should prevail for some time now. I would think that shad raps, and paddle bugs and the like would be producing now as well as minnows again. Now a couple days of west and south west winds which are supposed to be the next couple days should really bring the motherload back closer to shore. Maybe even in the harbors.

P.S. If you run out of crabs pm me I have a lot of them.
P.P.S. I have fished with Joel. If you ever need any tips on trout and salmon fishing he's definitely the guy you need to follow.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

the water temp is not anywhere near 69 or 66 degrees...In the low 60's.

We have not had any extended period warmth to cause a dramatic warm up.

Aside from looking at the buoys...You can always check out water temps below.. Not my first choice, but will suffice for out here.

http://weather.wgntv.com/MAR/LM/741.html

As far as W.W.J.R.D about salmon fishing we will just leave it at that "you" should follow him...For me it would serve no purpose whatsoever.

Hope the site helps in getting accurate water temps.

OXOXOXOXOX,

Courtney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 10:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

He hasn't had a real gig in ten years, so I don't care what Paul Reiser would do, but those are some nice perch!

You fishing the Dachshund dog park or maybe that other place you told me about? I stumbled into a friend I lost contact with 15 years ago and haven't fished the lakefront with him for perch in 23 years. (I wonder how old mplant was then :P ) Anyhow, I might take him to the lake Wednesday night and have to figure the best place to pop some perch.

Tom Skilling just reported the other day, that this is the coldest June in recorded history for Chicago. Can't quite swallow those bath water temps either. Hard to believe the crawfish molt would be over either. Read the other day of a dude that went perching the other day and fed 4 dozen softshells to mainly the gobies.
RonG is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2009, 10:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Gentlemen please you guys should know better on the temps. And courtney I'm ashamed of you. Your looking at a site for INDIANA ! Even you should know NE winds cool Mich City waters. Look at a real site for winds and water temps and water levels. Get the BIG picture. Go to
www.crh.noaa.gov/greatlakes/?c=tmp&l=lm&p=a The site you referred to is only used for Indiana Some of far south shore temps are in the 70's already. Crayfish experience the first molt of the year when temps go above 60. C'mon man/women? I thought you knew all about the lake front?
Old 06-15-2009, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

There's no way the crawdads are even molting yet. The weather and the water temps haven't been warm enough. Soft shell bite already? Every person I've talked to that is cleaning them, is seeing minnows/alewifes. This June sucks.
Ed1979 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Been killin' 'em on softshells for a week and a half. Where you been. lol
Old 06-15-2009, 11:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

A little vague...You need to find a buoy right on the Chicago shoreline...Not sure if there is one. How about this?

http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/inde ... t.home.cfm

6-15-09

Chicago beaches...Water temp 59 degrees.

If you don't believe me...Go swimming.

All I have to do is touch my lure and know that we are nowhere near 69 degrees.

OXOXOXOXOX,

Courtney
Old 06-15-2009, 11:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big saw
Been killin' 'em on softshells for a week and a half. Where you been. lol
That doesn't mean that's what they're naturally feeding on right now. The older fish remember the smell of what they feed on, so if you're throwing softshells out there and they see/smell it, of course they're going to eat them.

Most of what they're feeding on, NATURALLY, at the current time, is alewifes/shad/minnows. Very few crawdads have started to molt. What do those perch you're cleaning have in their belly?
Ed1979 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2009, 11:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Oh ok. I guess some city worker with a hand held Zebco fish therm knows more than the National guard, National weather service, and a variety of weather beacons and satelites. LOL.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in