Line and Rod Choices for Shore Perchin' - Additional Insight - Page 2 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2009, 10:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyLovesPerch
Went fishing this aft/evening with ThePlunc...Moments of solid action then extreme lulls.

Between The Plunc and myself caught a solid limit of 11" plus fish. Plunc split leaving me with the bounty of twelve fish. He had given a few fish to some other fisherdudes as well.

Wasn't feeling inspired to clean so I gave them away to some lucky angler as part of Ms Courtney's Charitable Perch Foundation.

Then immediately tagged three more fish the largest just being over fourteen inches. Back into the front of the Lake michigan they all went.

I only fish with braid. I get some criticism from some of my fishing peeps because I fish for salmon and perch with braid.

My grandfather fished with mono. He's been dead for thirty years.

The strength of braid is a definite bonus...But the beauty lies in it's diameter.

I use 4lb fireline for throwing jigs...Diam less than one lb mono. No stretch you can feel everything...Every "tick" is magnified. No wind and want to toss a 1/16th jig?.....Hard to accomplish with mono.

I have snapped so many fish off on 4lb mono that I had to stop using it. Rocks, zebra mussels and pound plus perch are not a good combo when coupled with 4lb or less mono. one nick and gooooobye perchy.

Fireline rocks my world. 4lb for jigs, 6lb for shad raps...10 lb for salmon.

Use a flouro leader during perch season...No leader for salmon. attach line directly to spoons and cranks.

SupremeFluke...Errr Dennis, nice to see you back out here.

Courtney has left the building.

Peace.

OXOXOXOX,

Courtney
I'm kinda like you as far as my setup, but I just use 10 lb. invisibraid for everything. It is 2 lb. diameter, and casting even 1/16th oz jigs is pretty easy. I also use fluro leaders with my jigs most of the time in clear water. I don't know how anyone could possibly use 2 lb. mono in Lake Michigan for perch... Unless you don't mind breaking off every 4-5 casts because of the zebras. Even my 10 lb FC leader was getting nicked up to the point I had to retie my jigs every 10-20 casts. A little tug on it, and it broke right loose. After using braid for the last 2 years, I have a hard time fishing with mono. The sensitivity just isn't anywhere near as good as braid, especially for jigging for walleye/perch.
Ed1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

All drama aside,

Right now I am almost exclusively fishing a Browning 9 foot light action IM7 coupled to a Shimano Sienna 1000 rear-drag, spooled with 4 lb. mono, and using 4 lb. flouro leaders for my jigs and shad-raps.

I tried Fireline when it first came out many years ago and was not pleased. It seemed to bind on itself more that the "Spectra" based braid I was accustomed to, and it's castability was poor in my opinion.

However! In my years since then, fishing different levels of quality of equipment, I have concluded that I may have been hindered more by my reel and rod choice when I made this premature conclusion.

So, I am now opening my wallet and my mind to find a suitable light spinning outfit to accommodate Fireline in the 2 to 4 lb. class.

Does anyone have any equipment recommendations? Keep in mind that I am looking to stay on a budget as my family is down an entire income with my wife at home with my four year old and newborn.

Thanks for any feedback!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

You might look for a reel that has a large enough spool to release the line easily. That is a help but possibly not mandatory.

Take it that this is going to be your "jig" rod. It gets windy at the front of the lake michigan.

I use a 7ft U.L. avid....If it gets reall windy I am fighting the rod...Used to it, but it is rather a drag. Time for a change.

I would spend top dollar and buy a ul rod I possibly might want to fish with for the rest of my life. If it breaks it is replaced. Stiff enough to utilize in the wind but light enough to detect every "tap."

There ya go.

OOXOXOXOX,

Courtney
CourtneyLovesPerch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 10:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsusmc
Does anyone have any equipment recommendations? Keep in mind that I am looking to stay on a budget as my family is down an entire income with my wife at home with my four year old and newborn.
Not fancy/schmancy and probably not good enough for some around here but I like the Okuma's I have. You can get a nice smooth 10 bearing model with a decent drag for about the price of a 2 bearing Shimano. I beat mine up too much on the rocks, concrete and dropping them in the water from shore, wading or kayak to invest too much. I used to like Abu Garcias in that same price range, but lately the drag is crap, the bail sticks and with one dunk while wading, the gears freeze up.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I use a 3rd line in the same setup... Leadcore
What section of your setup is the lead core and how much of it? I've used lead core as a main line for Strippers on Lake Norfork, but never tried shorter lengths after a 3 way swivel if that's what you mean.
I'm interested in trying a similar setup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in