» CLF Sponsors
Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports

Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   Perch Fishing (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Why Perch fishing is closed in July (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62196)

Ken S 07-05-2009 10:34 PM

Why Perch fishing is closed in July

Closing July for Perch in Illinois has VERY little effect on the fishery. The only reason July is closed, is that the Lake Michigan Perch Fishermen DO NOT know how to WRITE A LETTER. The end. (live with the closure you all choose to have and shut up)

Ken S

big saw 07-06-2009 12:02 AM

Dear D N R . Please open July for perch fishing. Answer NO ! O K next letter ? :o Do you think people have not tried to write letters? They do no good.

fishnmagician 07-06-2009 05:50 AM

Dear ??? ??????

Wait a minute ...... who's the Director now?

After Gransburg was fired by Quinn was a new director named and confirmed?

Dear Ken, who do you write to?

Raptor 07-06-2009 05:54 AM

Marc Miller.

As I understand it, "we" voted for the July closure some years back at a Great Lakes symposium or sumpin' like that.

fishnmagician 07-06-2009 06:38 AM

Thanks Paul, I see now that he was confirmed by the Senate in late May.

The Little King 07-06-2009 07:18 AM

I can't remember all the details but at one of the lake michigan spring meetings The DNR biologist said they need to cut back the number of perch that were beening taken out of the lake. July had the highest number of people fishing and bagging perch so they closed it in July.

If closing the season in July will keep the perch population going them I am all for it. Its rally nice to have a perch fishery like this right in our own backyard.

FISH TRACKER 07-06-2009 07:58 AM

[quote="The Little King"]I can't remember all the details but at one of the lake michigan spring meetings The DNR biologist said they need to cut back the number of perch that were beening taken out of the lake. July had the highest number of people fishing and bagging perch so they closed it in July.

If closing the season in July will keep the perch population going them I am all for it. Its rally nice to have a perch fishery like this right in our own backyard.[/quot

I agree it has been many years since we have seen the size perch in the #'s being caught today. In boats and for the shore fisherman. The perch are one of the last indiginous fish left in the Lake Michigan Illinois waters. Salmon stocked,Lake Trout decimated,Round Gobie invader, Zebra Mussle invader, numerous plant species invader.
I don't know how old you are but there was a time that my son will not be able to enjoy with me as I did my father SMELT FISHING GONE! I can remember in the early sixties going to Navey Pier and seeing fisherman pulling hearing out one after another GONE! Alewive population GONE! and with it the salmon and Trout population is dwindling. The Salmon were introduced to decrease the # of alewive and they did along with the smelt. I may catch flack for this but you sound more like a POLITICIAN than a fisherman. So do everyone a favor and do what most politicians should do. Take your own advice and
:)2 SHUT UP!!!

RonG 07-06-2009 09:04 AM

The lowly perch aren't even being caught or fished for and they are still causing controversy this month.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ressions-1.gif

-----------------------------------
RoundGobie

FishinMatt 07-06-2009 09:11 AM

:o

fishnmagician 07-06-2009 10:08 AM

Wow ..... two "shut ups" in one thread. :o

big saw 07-06-2009 11:34 AM

SHUT UP :)6 three

RonG 07-06-2009 11:34 AM

Maybe a July closure isn't so bad. Over the weekend there were 60+ stabbing and shooting incidents, 10 dead, over 30 wounded. Wacky city!

Westwind 07-06-2009 12:29 PM

Maybe all those perch guys had to find something else to do.

wfoster3513 07-06-2009 02:11 PM

LOL I am going a little crazy myself but I have not mugged or killed anybody yet. Looking for a fix for a month or so till the perch season is open or the shore salmon season starts but everything else is so far away.

ja-knee-sea 07-06-2009 03:50 PM

Possible Solutions..........
1. Open July fishing, but "No Fishing between midnight and 9am"...

2. "No Weekend Fishing from Shore at any time"... The Lakefront is for the use of the sunbathers, joggers and soccer players on the weekends......
So basically if your cell phone is on free minutes, you can't fish....

3. Shut Up

Raptor 07-06-2009 07:53 PM

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!

YOU SHUT UP!

mplant1 07-06-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISH TRACKER
I agree it has been many years since we have seen the size perch in the #'s being caught today. In boats and for the shore fisherman. The perch are one of the last indiginous fish left in the Lake Michigan Illinois waters. Salmon stocked,Lake Trout decimated,Round Gobie invader, Zebra Mussle invader, numerous plant species invader.
I don't know how old you are but there was a time that my son will not be able to enjoy with me as I did my father SMELT FISHING GONE! I can remember in the early sixties going to Navey Pier and seeing fisherman pulling hearing out one after another GONE!

Very fine point.

If any period should be closed, it should be April and May.

The spawning perch plucking armada is growing and growing every year. You would be amazed at how many boats are hovering 60 feet over the perch spawning grounds plucking off jumbos loaded with spawn. For what, a couple of fillets?

I hope I'm not ruffling anyone's feathers, but I see far less damage to a population of perch from shore anglers plucking some post spawn fish vs the boaters completely wailing on them while they are pre spawn and spawning in the perch prime spawning grounds

wALLDADY 07-07-2009 07:52 AM

Rumor has it that King Richard is gonna put parking meaters all around the front of the lake , that is free now . That should slow down the crowds a little . Maybe , write him a letter and he will get just Chicago open , for July perchin ?

Good Luck and Safe Trips .................................... Walldady

PS : Shut Up :-D :-D :-D

The Little King 07-07-2009 08:16 AM

According to the DNR taking of too many spawing perch is not the problem, its getting the fry past the 1 year old stage.

The DNR wanted to cut back the number of perch taken out of the system and July had the most people fishing and keeping perch.

CourtneyLovesPerch 07-07-2009 08:30 AM

Idle hands will do the devils work...I personally sold over fifty bags of heroin this last weekend...I stomp on it pretty good cutting it down to about a 30% potency with ground perch meat.

I killed four people, stabbed eight and shook down a few perchatutes just fo' the **** of it.

I was pleased to see that last weekend the front of lake michigan was still crowded with poachers acquiring the percheeeez wirth nary a child in sight. Took a few pics, pissed some poachers off... might post later.

There is really no need to stop perch fishing....There is no enforcement...A total joke.

I hit the perch for the **** of it, just for the yell I get
Mmm mmm mmm, for the smell of it

Oh, you make me wanna shoop.

Shut up!

OXOXOXOXOX,

Courtney

RiverRat242 07-07-2009 08:42 AM

If taking too many fish is the problem couldn't you just lower the limits?

nodlikescod 07-07-2009 08:49 AM

It really doesn't matter what you do as you can never please anyone. RiverRat, your solution probably makes the most sense as it is the most simple solution to the issue.

RonG 07-07-2009 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CourtneyLovesPerch
Took a few pics, pissed some poachers off... might post later.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who takes pics of random people at the front of the lake.

Here's one from last March. I was doing some kayak perch fishing on the south side. So surprised to see this young man out without a jacket in the winter, I snapped a pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...9/DSCF1371.jpg

No, what really caught my eye, was that his shirt matched the color of my kayak.

8:)

ja-knee-sea 07-07-2009 10:16 AM

Young man???

big saw 07-07-2009 11:53 AM

And I thought I was confused sometimes ! :o

Westwind 07-07-2009 02:24 PM

I like its leg warmers.

ja-knee-sea 07-07-2009 03:19 PM

She's a Maniac, Maniac, on the Flo-oor

RonG 07-07-2009 04:25 PM

Upon, further review, I'm still pretty sure it's a dude.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...9/DSCF1372.jpg

He's got Michael Jackson's haircut, and I'm pretty sure Michael was a guy. We'll know for sure when the autopsy is completed.

CourtneyLovesPerch 07-08-2009 04:24 PM

I bet 20 perch fillets that he/she is smoking Newports.

Lovely leg warmers indeed.

I had a chance to talk with it and it said that it has been utilizing shrimp raps at the lakefront for over 15 years.

Amazing.

I wonder how many paddlebugs you could cram in it's navel? Perhaps a contest is in order?...Ya know, guess how many jelly beans are in the pharmacists jar and the creepy ol' guy just might not diddle you.

Something along those lines.

OXOXOXOXOX,

Courtney

RonG 07-08-2009 05:28 PM

Ridiculously cold July temps in the low sixties and the shore water currently at 63°. We might have a shot at some shore perch come August. If scientists had the ability to accurate calculate future earth temperatures, maybe they should have closed August instead. A coldest June for Chicago in recorded history, a coldest June in NY in over 50 years and snow in North Dakota last week.

Thank God for perch, ability, soft plastics and Global Cooling!

wALLDADY 07-08-2009 07:22 PM

AW JUST SHUT UP

:-D :-D :-D

RonG 07-08-2009 09:11 PM

big saw 07-08-2009 09:25 PM

Yep glad them temps went back down after the two surges into the high 60's and low 70's. Stay on top of it so we can all be informed. Thanks for the great info. Oh and by the way the grand kids are still getting nice fish on shad raps and minnows. Surface temp on 7/7/09 was 65. Knowledge is power.

fishnmagician 07-09-2009 05:40 AM

¿Por qué no te callas?
gracias

wALLDADY 07-09-2009 09:19 AM

RON G , You're killin me

Shut up !!!!

fishnmagician 07-09-2009 09:38 AM

Target fish for July! Big Heads!

https://chicagolandfishing.com/forums...hp?pic_id=7257
Caught 4th of July Columbus Park lagoon.

RonG 07-09-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:

Target fish for July! Big Heads!

Looks like fun. I might have to get some snag hooks or do some C&R spearing 'cause I just can't get that zooplankton to stay on my hook.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...2009/spear.jpg

fishnmagician 07-09-2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

I just can't get that zooplankton to stay on my hook.
Try detritus. That'll work if you like to bait fish. 8:)

RonG 07-09-2009 02:35 PM

The Columbus Park neighborhood could use a little cleaning up, but introducing Bigheads aren't the way to do it.

I'd like to know who the eco-terrorists are that are transplanting fish like this. Happy to see this one removed, but scary to see them popping up in random self-contained waters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishnmagician
Quote:

I just can't get that zooplankton to stay on my hook.
Try detritus. That'll work if you like to bait fish. 8:)

Nah, too smelly. Fresh diporeia paste is more my style. You can spread it on crackers if the fishing is slow.

======================================

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...tuff/barry.jpg

CourtneyLovesPerch 07-09-2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big saw
Yep glad them temps went back down after the two surges into the high 60's and low 70's. Stay on top of it so we can all be informed. Thanks for the great info. Oh and by the way the grand kids are still getting nice fish on shad raps and minnows. Surface temp on 7/7/09 was 65. Knowledge is power.

edited...lol.