Still kayaking for Perch...11/14/09 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Still kayaking for Perch...11/14/09

This perch forum needs some current reports, so here's one...

I did a spur of the moment trip late yesterday afternoon. Short on time, not well-planned, gear not ready and disorganized, but I had a blast and caught some big yummy perch.

It's almost 3 months since the Ocean Kayak has voyaged for the open-water perch. The gear was scattered and I didn't have a single rig tied. Threw it all in the van and headed out hoping I didn't forget anything vital. Being without any rigs, I just bought a single crappie rig at Henry's and hastily tied it up and that's all I used. Haven't used one in years and found they are not nearly as clumsy to use as many make them out to be.

Halfway out to the pack of boats @95th, the 3V converter for my GPS crapped out. The internal batteries were also near-dead, so I lost the GPS. I ended up taking the 2 batteries out of my camera and got some "non backlit" use out of the GPS.

I couldn't figure out why it took me so long to paddle out to the happy fishing grounds. I mentally thought it was a mile out to the breakwall area, but Google-earthed it when I got home and saw it's more like 1.75 miles.

Arrived on the fish at 3:30 pm which would only give me an hour to fish before I had to beat it back because of the approaching darkness. Fishing was decent with some sorting. I marked the thickest schools I have have seen in my life. In 33 FOW some of the schools were 12 feet thick! Ironically most of my jumbos came drifting through some barren flat-bottomed areas where no fish were being marked. The gobies knew better than to try wasting my limited time. Didn't see a single one.

About the time it was time to head in, I had 10 in the basket. A kindly boater offered to tow me back in so I could stay a little longer and hopefully get my 5 remaining fish. Darkness arrived and it was time to get my free ride - only his big 225 hp motor would not start. I thought I'd have to tow his big craft in with the kayak instead . Fortunately he also had a kicker and used that to get us to the ramps. It was my first time out on LM in the kayak after dark. The city lights sure looked cool.

Now it was time to return the favor. The boaters had launched out of Indiana, not 95th and started calculating how many hours it would take to get back to their ramp (if the kicker would hold out, plus they were having overall electrical problems). Ended up giving one of their crew a lift to Indiana to get their truck&trailer so they could leave out of 95th.

They generously insisted on giving me some cash for my time and gas and also gave me the 5 fish I needed to fill my limit. Heading out onto Lake Michigan, you never know what adventure the big lake has in store for you.
RonG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Great report - living vicariously through you and missing the LM perching. Still waiting to get an angler's kayak... but I think I'll pick up some ice fishing gear instead to try my hand at ice fishing - it'll be a first.
Jay K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Good report
No video?
Where did you have to take him in Indiana?
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ron, I always love reading your posts. Great post, always informative, and helpful to anyone who is looking for striped table fare. I just wish I had more spare time and the equipment to do what you do.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Great report Ron. Glad you got a few nice fish. One thing. I know we bust each others balls quite a bit, but be careful out there man. I hope you have at least a hand held ship to shore radio. You can get them at bass pro for $100-$200. Once again good report.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD
No video?
I planned on it, but packing/driving/Henry's and unpacking took 3 1/2 hours. Then a 1/2 hour paddle left me with only one hour to fish. Recent boat reports were reporting limits in about 1.5 to 2.5 hours with sorting, so after all the hard work, my one hour of fishing time was going to have to be for fishing hard and fast. I hoped to at least take some pics, but I had to use my camera batteries to keep the GPS running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD
Where did you have to take him in Indiana?
Pastrick's, but the route was all goofy because they had miles and miles of Kline Ave shut down. Thankfully, I just had to follow the trail inside the GPS to find my way back thru that unfamiliar land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big saw
Great report Ron. ...but be careful out there man. I hope you have at least a hand held ship to shore radio. You can get them at bass pro for $100-$200.
Thank you, sir. Yes, after my first or second voyage onto LM, I decided a radio is a must, so I purchased a waterproof Humminbird.

(It's half covered up by the fish)

It was mounted on the dash of my old yak. I still haven't figured out where to put it on the new boat, so I keep it under deck in a gear bag for now. I won't hit LM without it and without a full battery charge. Don't laugh, but the next safety items may be a pair of scuba fins. Getting towed in last night, it really struck me how long of a swim it would be if I ever had to do it and some fins sure would help.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well the good thing about it is you caught fish
Old 11-17-2009, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Great report Ron! I'm saving up for a boat, but maybe I should think about kayaking. I live a block away from the DuPage river where it dumps into the Des Plaines. Tons of ponds and lakes down here. It might be a better option than a boat.

My cousin is going from shore Thursday and I'm going from shore on Friday. I will let you guys know how we do. Hopefully I will get some pictures!
Old 11-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Nice report, Ron. I was thinking about then when I was on LSD yesterday driving to McCormick Place. The waves were huge - not a good kayaking day fo sho.

NOD
Old 11-17-2009, 11:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markman
I'm saving up for a boat, but maybe I should think about kayaking. I live a block away from the DuPage river where it dumps into the Des Plaines. Tons of ponds and lakes down here. It might be a better option than a boat.
The sport is just taking off and there's a lot you can accomplish from one. In just two years, I've hit rivers, ponds, FP lakes, a reservoir and hit Lake Michigan over a dozen times. If you haven't seen some of the vids, I sometimes journey out to the perch boaters as far as 3 miles out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Chgolandfisher

Chitownyaker (jonramos4) has some really good youtube vids and I know a couple of guys that troll for trout and salmon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodlikescod
I was thinking about then when I was on LSD yesterday driving to McCormick Place. The waves were huge - not a good kayaking day fo sho.
That lake just plain scares me sometimes. It even scared me last night when I was 30 miles inland of it. I went for a night time walk and was greated by the NE blast in my face. I imagined what it would be like at that moment on the lake and got a little freaked out thinking of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in