Perch Reports - Page 2 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2015, 06:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattknay33 View Post
Well I'm no biologist but is there any way the dnr can organize a breeding system where they grab some perch from lake michigan and breed them. They can even grab lake michigan water to breed them in if that have anything to do with it. Or am I talking stupid and crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich F View Post
...Perch could be stocked in large numbers ( have on a smaller scale) , but $$$$$$$$$, (#1 reason)... as of now preventing such stocking .
Many things can be accomplished with enough cash.
Our state is broke.
Rich F is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

The biggest problem is recruitment which is the hatched perch making to a certain point where they've moved on from eating plankton and start eating adult food. The recruitment has been extremely poor year after year for a whole slew of reasons. It seems like every 5-7 years there's a good spawn with good recruitment. Reproduction with all those gaps in years in between will not sustain a fishery.

I always thought a good hatchery/stocking program where they got them past the recruitment size, then stocked them, could do wonders. At least it could plug some holes in the years where the spawn produces next to no perch that survive.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Well last year was great for me. During mid July, 3 fishing trips within a 5 day span we brought in 86 perch or so. And before those days we had multiple days of catching 12 to 15 jumbo from belmont.
I gather you are the Hipster's kin or you meant to type "mid June."

If you are talking about previous years, then yeah the fishing was good. Last year it was far from spectacular. We got fish, but not in the numbers of previous years.

There were a few days last year where I watched my Serb/Croat lake pals hammer some fish on softshells, (multiple limits taken) but that bite died out as the water warmed and the fish pushed deeper.

If anyone is interested there was a perch summit held and the results are in a pdf which can be downloaded.

To see a summary of the Lake Michigan Yellow Perch Summit, visit:http://www.glfc.org/lakecom/lmc/Lake...eport_2014.pdf
Here is another Article about what is happening in Wisconsin waters, and mind you that this is coming from a state that actually gives a **** about it's fishery.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdo...252568281.html

"But since the perch crash, fewer people pursue the tasty fish. In 1992, anglers caught 886,496 perch in the Wisconsin waters of Lake Michigan, including 346,117 alone in Milwaukee County, according to DNR figures. In 2013, anglers caught 8,830 perch in Lake Michigan, lowest on record."

These numbers are coming to a theater near you!

The fact that the lake bottom is now covered in mussels was bound to happen. The agencies designed to protect our interests are too often headed up by people that either don't care, lack the foresight or simply are not allocated the resources to to implement policies that would have protected the Great Lakes from the dumping of ballast water.

Is it a shame? **** right it is, but the people who could be held accountable are long gone and there is no sense in crying over spilt ballast water at this point in time.

What I don't like is being lied to.

IDNR Director Marc Miller announced the new administrative rule is effective today.*

“Perch anglers told us they want to be able to fish during the month of July, and this regulation change is intended to provide that opportunity,” Miller said. “We listened to anglers and experts alike during the Lake Michigan Yellow Perch Summit held March 22, 2014 in Chicago, and this rule change was developed as a result of that meeting.”*

The experts said no such thing and I can't think of too many shore anglers who know anything about perch fishing who were clamoring for the season to be open in July.

Well, we don't have Marc Miller to kick around anymore he's out and has been replaced by another stooge, Wayne Rosenthal.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/7...idnr-confirmed

Time for more pics of Delavaning bass.

Bassalaro Proverb #4: Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and you will probably sleep with his mom.

Your fishin' pal,

Bassinlarry
bassinlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to mattknay33 Send a message via AIM to mattknay33

Last year was one of my best years in a awhile. And yah I meant last year in july. I had multiple times at belmont where I caught closes to limits or a closer to twenty with two people but at my 31st st spot as I said we caught caught nearly 90 fish in 3 days within a 5 day span. I just hope the perch fishing stays and doesn't leave completely.
mattknay33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015, 08:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

IF, if we could rely on the money actually getting to the stocking projects it would be meant for , I'd have no problem buying and getting on a band wagon for perch stamps.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:02 AM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to mattknay33 Send a message via AIM to mattknay33

I will pay money for a perch stamp also but will like to get updates and proof that they are using it for a new perch system. But in all honesty I think we just have to stock some lion mussels or hyena mussels to get rid of all the zebra mussels.
mattknay33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2015, 07:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PowernFinesse

Unfortunately Matt, perch are known for being difficult to rear in hatcheries, although they are working on it. Larval perch feed on plankton and the Wisconsin Sea Grant is working with different methods to decrease mortality rates in the fish pens. A lot of this involves examining perch stomach contents, looking at gape size and prey preference when they are really young.

The bad news about Lake Michigan is the zebra mussels do a bang up job of removing plankton from the food web. Since plankton is at the base of the aquatic food web, the web becomes weaker as a result. That is not to say that all species are being equally affected(we have a world class brown trout and smallmouth fishery), but in the case of perch, we're at about 10% of our historic harvests. For example, in 2011, a DNR survey (in Wisconsin) noted a total of 167,000 perch harvested. In 1986, the harvest was 1.8 million perch. The thing is, a lot of people clamor for perch reforms and have questions about why some fisherman are all doom and gloom. If you look at the big picture in terms of recruitment of age 0 and age 1 perch, the lake is not looking so hot and chances are good things are not going to magically get better.

Some of the other guys who chimed in already talked about this so I won't go into details, but decades ago, you'd see anglers up and down the harbors pulling in jumbos and leaving with coolers full of perch. That is not the case today. I remember when I was a kid and the smell of alewives and green lake Michigan water was heavy in the air. Fat perchies were coming on deck and heading towards a date with the hot oil. Now, the lake looks like a swimming pool and those striped bandits roam like packs of wolves instead of cows getting fat off the land. If you get onto a school or pull up some chunks this summer good on you. I know I'll be out looking for some this week. And if I don't find them, I'm sure some drum will keep the drag singing.
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach
PowernFinesse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2015, 08:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

So, according to the Lake Michigan Perch Summit. It was widely agreed that a number of 100 million stocked perch of the correct size and quality would not be "considered excessive" as a target number for success .
There are commercial businesses which can provide these number. There were a number of concerns, as there should be in a project of this undertaking. But it was totally considered doable .

The bottom line? Each fingerling of the type and quality needed would run around $1 per.
100,000,000 to save the LM perch population.
Now unless a **** ton of " experts " are way off , that does not seem a huge number to me to save a fishery...
Old 06-26-2015, 08:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
... But in all honesty I think we just have to stock some lion mussels or hyena mussels to get rid of all the zebra mussels.
Nice.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:18 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Last year was one of my best years in a awhile. And yah I meant last year in july. I had multiple times at belmont where I caught closes to limits or a closer to twenty with two people but at my 31st st spot as I said we caught caught nearly 90 fish in 3 days within a 5 day span. I just hope the perch fishing stays and doesn't leave completely.
Well, Mathew, that makes you nothing but a lousy poarcher!!!

Although I personally, with the implementation of the new season regs, don't exactly frown upon it. You are definitely not Bassalaro material and are the kin of the hipster.

Since this site's foundation is based upon "Anglers with Ethics," I have personally petitioned the owners of this site to have you and your ilk banished.

You sicken me.

All of the B.N. (Bassalaro Nation) will be keeping an eye out for you and will be contacting the appropriate authorities if you decide once again to ignore the letter of the law.

You see Mathew, the little people cannot arbitrarily decide what laws they choose to or not to follow. This kind of behavior leads to chaos. And in a time of chaos, Mathew, the people demand sound leadership. Who are these people supposed to turn to? You, Mathew, and your poarching in July crappola? I say, nay!

God bless America and Bassinlarry!

Please remove this poacher from our midst!

Bassalaro Proverb #4: Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and you will probably sleep with his mom.

Your fishin' pal,

Bassinlarry
bassinlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in