» CLF Sponsors
Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports

Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   Perch Fishing (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Perch Reports (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95058)

mattknay33 06-22-2015 02:31 AM

Perch Reports

Is their any action going on in any of these harbors? Went on opening day and caught one at 31st harbor.

big saw 06-22-2015 01:34 PM

Nada. Perch fishing/catching has been non-existent. Went out twice and only caught 7 fish total at Montrose. Sadly this could be the beginning of the end.

The Bergermiester 06-22-2015 04:03 PM

I'll be giving it a go tomorrow -say it aint so-saw- its only the beginning-everything is weeks behind whats considered a normal spring...

Panner 06-22-2015 08:07 PM

Went Sunday to Montrose. Had absolutely not a darn thing from 6am-noon. Harbor was very full from all the dads out fishing and almost no one had a thing. Tried everything I could minnows, plastics, drop shot.

Never fished in June so I can't say that it's the doom that Saw is proclaiming but all it takes is one good day to make me happy. Going to keep trying because I enjoy it, and if a few years of having to work hard to get something means that it'll pay off with some serious sized fish it's worth it to me.

bassinlarry 06-22-2015 11:25 PM

Oh, silly Bergy. Nothing is behind scedule. This is the beginning of the end. The water clarity is great, the temps are ideal. Where are the fish? There were perch around in late May and early June, not in great numbers, but a few were around.

There was a very wise man who made this post... https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...-poaching.html

Now more than ever, the world is turning to Bassinlarry to shed some light on the complex problems.This is not going to get better. Sure, there will still be days when you can get some fish, but don't ever think perch fishing will return to what us was even 5 years ago.

The people put in place to protect our Great Lakes have betrayed us all. Which is to be expected.

It is what it is. And what it is, is fairly bleak. The numbers don't lie.

I even went as far as going to Montrose in the pursuit of perch. I loathe the Montrosians. God how I hate them.

The Bergermiester 06-23-2015 06:58 AM

[QUOTE=; Now more than ever, the world is turning to Bassinlarry to shed some light on the complex problems.This is not going to get better. Sure, there will still be days when you can get some fish, but don't ever think perch fishing will return to what us was even 5 years ago..[/QUOTE]

Just because you cant fish or find them doesn't indicate the end. It only indicates your in ability to find them.
To think so high and mighty of one's self to believe the world is turning to you to shed some light on the problem is a grandiose fantasy for which I say -put the weed away try breathing some fresh air and clear your diluted mind.
I'm NOT Assinlarry material Thank God for that!!!

bassinlarry 06-23-2015 08:51 AM

Oh Bergy, you can't handle the truth!

Please post pics of all of your fish from your recent trip to the front of the lake. Obviously, you know how to fish and you know where to find them :)28 :skunk:

Bassinlarry has long been heralded as one of the top perchers as well as the songbird of his generation.

There are always going to be some perch around, but every year you are going to see their numbers diminish.

Though I lament the loss of our perch fishery, I realize that this is a time for strength and resolve. I shall still walk the shore of this Great Lake holding onto not only a 7' light action St Croix Legend Elite® paired with a 1000 Daiwa Fuego reel, but with a resolve and a tenacity found in few other CLF'ers.

Bergy, do not fret. I shall still catch my fish in the face of mounting odds and you as well as others can live vicariously through my achievements.

:flag::flag::flag: God bless America and Bassinlarry!

mattknay33 06-23-2015 05:17 PM

Well last year was great for me. During mid July, 3 fishing trips within a 5 day span we brought in 86 perch or so. And before those days we had multiple days of catching 12 to 15 jumbo from belmont. I understand your post about plankton and the ecosystem but there are so many things to eat in lake michigan. Even if plankton might be a main source of food for the bait fish there has to be more sources of food in one of the Great Lakes. Cant see how last year was so good and now this year will be crap. I think people are just getting too ahead of themselves. The water is right temperature and the water is clear but the water is right temperature and is clear in late August and so also and there aren't as much perch in as in July or late June. The fishing world is weird. I honestly just think it hasn't been that warm yet, had mild weather so far and the fish just aren't fully in yet. Plus with all this rain and storms the pressure might have something to do with it. I remember some years I've killed them during mid august so maybe they are behind a few weeks or so.

Rich F 06-23-2015 08:36 PM

Phytoplankton feeds zooplankton which feeds hatchling perch.
Mussels eat phytoplankton.
Mussels and lack of phosforus which phytoplankton utilize, lack of phosforus making cleaner clearer water, effect phytoplankton and therefore effect zooplankton and obviously perch populations. So has some climate change, to a small degree.
These are pretty established facts. Fisherman ( non -commercial ) have not been proven so far to have any lasting effects, nor have the changing regs state to state.
There are as of yet no chemicals which will work on the Great Lakes' grand scale needed, nor any animal life worth dumping in to take care of them either . Gobies take care of some mussel issues, but are in no way going to rid us of enough mussels to effect the perch populations in any notable way.
As of now it is not looking good for long term perch populations, but things change.
Perch could be stocked in large numbers ( have on a smaller scale) , but $$$$$$$$$, (#1 reason) and fear of contaminants are as of now preventing such stocking. These are the two major reasons our government has no stocking programs in place, they say...
Stocked perch would need to be of the same genetic make-up of the indigenous perch .

mattknay33 06-24-2015 02:18 AM

Well I'm no biologist but is there any way the dnr can organize a breeding system where they grab some perch from lake michigan and breed them. They can even grab lake michigan water to breed them in if that have anything to do with it. Or am I talking stupid and crazy.

Rich F 06-24-2015 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattknay33 (Post 612362)
Well I'm no biologist but is there any way the dnr can organize a breeding system where they grab some perch from lake michigan and breed them. They can even grab lake michigan water to breed them in if that have anything to do with it. Or am I talking stupid and crazy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich F (Post 612346)
...Perch could be stocked in large numbers ( have on a smaller scale) , but $$$$$$$$$, (#1 reason)... as of now preventing such stocking .

Many things can be accomplished with enough cash.
Our state is broke.

RonG 06-24-2015 01:15 PM

The biggest problem is recruitment which is the hatched perch making to a certain point where they've moved on from eating plankton and start eating adult food. The recruitment has been extremely poor year after year for a whole slew of reasons. It seems like every 5-7 years there's a good spawn with good recruitment. Reproduction with all those gaps in years in between will not sustain a fishery.

I always thought a good hatchery/stocking program where they got them past the recruitment size, then stocked them, could do wonders. At least it could plug some holes in the years where the spawn produces next to no perch that survive.

bassinlarry 06-24-2015 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattknay33 (Post 612338)
Well last year was great for me. During mid July, 3 fishing trips within a 5 day span we brought in 86 perch or so. And before those days we had multiple days of catching 12 to 15 jumbo from belmont.

I gather you are the Hipster's kin or you meant to type "mid June."

If you are talking about previous years, then yeah the fishing was good. Last year it was far from spectacular. We got fish, but not in the numbers of previous years.

There were a few days last year where I watched my Serb/Croat lake pals hammer some fish on softshells, (multiple limits taken) but that bite died out as the water warmed and the fish pushed deeper.

If anyone is interested there was a perch summit held and the results are in a pdf which can be downloaded.

To see a summary of the Lake Michigan Yellow Perch Summit, visit:http://www.glfc.org/lakecom/lmc/Lake...eport_2014.pdf
Here is another Article about what is happening in Wisconsin waters, and mind you that this is coming from a state that actually gives a **** about it's fishery.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdo...252568281.html

"But since the perch crash, fewer people pursue the tasty fish. In 1992, anglers caught 886,496 perch in the Wisconsin waters of Lake Michigan, including 346,117 alone in Milwaukee County, according to DNR figures. In 2013, anglers caught 8,830 perch in Lake Michigan, lowest on record."

These numbers are coming to a theater near you!

The fact that the lake bottom is now covered in mussels was bound to happen. The agencies designed to protect our interests are too often headed up by people that either don't care, lack the foresight or simply are not allocated the resources to to implement policies that would have protected the Great Lakes from the dumping of ballast water.

Is it a shame? **** right it is, but the people who could be held accountable are long gone and there is no sense in crying over spilt ballast water at this point in time.

What I don't like is being lied to.

IDNR Director Marc Miller announced the new administrative rule is effective today.*

“Perch anglers told us they want to be able to fish during the month of July, and this regulation change is intended to provide that opportunity,” Miller said. “We listened to anglers and experts alike during the Lake Michigan Yellow Perch Summit held March 22, 2014 in Chicago, and this rule change was developed as a result of that meeting.”*

The experts said no such thing and I can't think of too many shore anglers who know anything about perch fishing who were clamoring for the season to be open in July.

Well, we don't have Marc Miller to kick around anymore he's out and has been replaced by another stooge, Wayne Rosenthal.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/7...idnr-confirmed

Time for more pics of Delavaning bass.

mattknay33 06-25-2015 08:14 PM

Last year was one of my best years in a awhile. And yah I meant last year in july. I had multiple times at belmont where I caught closes to limits or a closer to twenty with two people but at my 31st st spot as I said we caught caught nearly 90 fish in 3 days within a 5 day span. I just hope the perch fishing stays and doesn't leave completely.

Rich F 06-25-2015 08:50 PM

IF, if we could rely on the money actually getting to the stocking projects it would be meant for , I'd have no problem buying and getting on a band wagon for perch stamps.

mattknay33 06-26-2015 04:02 AM

I will pay money for a perch stamp also but will like to get updates and proof that they are using it for a new perch system. But in all honesty I think we just have to stock some lion mussels or hyena mussels to get rid of all the zebra mussels.

PowernFinesse 06-26-2015 07:44 PM

Unfortunately Matt, perch are known for being difficult to rear in hatcheries, although they are working on it. Larval perch feed on plankton and the Wisconsin Sea Grant is working with different methods to decrease mortality rates in the fish pens. A lot of this involves examining perch stomach contents, looking at gape size and prey preference when they are really young.

The bad news about Lake Michigan is the zebra mussels do a bang up job of removing plankton from the food web. Since plankton is at the base of the aquatic food web, the web becomes weaker as a result. That is not to say that all species are being equally affected(we have a world class brown trout and smallmouth fishery), but in the case of perch, we're at about 10% of our historic harvests. For example, in 2011, a DNR survey (in Wisconsin) noted a total of 167,000 perch harvested. In 1986, the harvest was 1.8 million perch. The thing is, a lot of people clamor for perch reforms and have questions about why some fisherman are all doom and gloom. If you look at the big picture in terms of recruitment of age 0 and age 1 perch, the lake is not looking so hot and chances are good things are not going to magically get better.

Some of the other guys who chimed in already talked about this so I won't go into details, but decades ago, you'd see anglers up and down the harbors pulling in jumbos and leaving with coolers full of perch. That is not the case today. I remember when I was a kid and the smell of alewives and green lake Michigan water was heavy in the air. Fat perchies were coming on deck and heading towards a date with the hot oil. Now, the lake looks like a swimming pool and those striped bandits roam like packs of wolves instead of cows getting fat off the land. If you get onto a school or pull up some chunks this summer good on you. I know I'll be out looking for some this week. And if I don't find them, I'm sure some drum will keep the drag singing.

Rich F 06-26-2015 08:09 PM

So, according to the Lake Michigan Perch Summit. It was widely agreed that a number of 100 million stocked perch of the correct size and quality would not be "considered excessive" as a target number for success .
There are commercial businesses which can provide these number. There were a number of concerns, as there should be in a project of this undertaking. But it was totally considered doable .

The bottom line? Each fingerling of the type and quality needed would run around $1 per.
100,000,000 to save the LM perch population.
Now unless a **** ton of " experts " are way off , that does not seem a huge number to me to save a fishery...

Rich F 06-26-2015 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattknay33 (Post 612762)
... But in all honesty I think we just have to stock some lion mussels or hyena mussels to get rid of all the zebra mussels.

Nice. :)2

bassinlarry 06-28-2015 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattknay33 (Post 612682)
Last year was one of my best years in a awhile. And yah I meant last year in july. I had multiple times at belmont where I caught closes to limits or a closer to twenty with two people but at my 31st st spot as I said we caught caught nearly 90 fish in 3 days within a 5 day span. I just hope the perch fishing stays and doesn't leave completely.

Well, Mathew, that makes you nothing but a lousy poarcher!!!

Although I personally, with the implementation of the new season regs, don't exactly frown upon it. You are definitely not Bassalaro material and are the kin of the hipster.

Since this site's foundation is based upon "Anglers with Ethics," I have personally petitioned the owners of this site to have you and your ilk banished.

You sicken me.

All of the B.N. (Bassalaro Nation) will be keeping an eye out for you and will be contacting the appropriate authorities if you decide once again to ignore the letter of the law.

You see Mathew, the little people cannot arbitrarily decide what laws they choose to or not to follow. This kind of behavior leads to chaos. And in a time of chaos, Mathew, the people demand sound leadership. Who are these people supposed to turn to? You, Mathew, and your poarching in July crappola? I say, nay!

:flag::flag::flag::flag: God bless America and Bassinlarry!

Please remove this poacher from our midst!

bassinlarry 06-28-2015 06:24 AM

Why even bother stocking these perch into the lake? Why not cut out the middle man (the lake) and bring them all directly to me?

Since I am a rather benevolent and altruistic man, I might even pass on a few filets to Bergsy.

mattknay33 06-29-2015 01:10 PM

Perch fishing was open last year in july, I had multiple guys with me for my limit regulations.

bassinlarry 06-29-2015 02:37 PM

I gather you were under the age of 16?

mattknay33 06-29-2015 02:41 PM

Perch fishing was open for everyone last year in july.

mikeyd 06-29-2015 02:47 PM

From last year, effective June 16, 2014.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/news/Pag...peninJuly.aspx

bassinlarry 06-29-2015 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattknay33 (Post 613202)
Perch fishing was open for everyone last year in july.

You are an idiot. You poarched 86 perch. Congratulations!

What a tool.

bassinlarry 06-29-2015 10:54 PM

Why would you even bother reading fishing regs?

Since there is virtually no chance of getting caught, might as well get all you can.

Your tape measure is missing a few inches, you don't read the regs. Either this is a fairly good joke or you really are a complete turd.

CLF is all about anglers with ethics. :)2:)2:)2:)2:)2:)2:)2:)2:)2:)2:)2:)2:)2:)2:)2:)2

mattknay33 06-30-2015 03:03 AM

I caught 86 or so perch in 3 days of fishing. One day it was two people and we took I think we took 29. The second day we took 44 and had 3 people. But caught about 15 more that we threw back because we missed count on one. Then the last day I think we caught 15 to 20 with two people so who knows it might be over hundred perch that we hooked but never kept over the limit. But Larry I don't see a problem. I followed the rules. Perching was open during July. And I apologize about my tape measure but I'm honored you took the time to search my posts to try to bust my balls, that's great "ethics" as you would say you have. The problem with the perch numbers is the plankton as you were explaining earlier. I have pictures of the fish I caught. I'll gladly show you them. Boss.

mattknay33 06-30-2015 03:06 AM

I'm not joking around, i don't know what you don't get about the perch season being open in July last year. I followed the rules.

mattknay33 06-30-2015 03:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Fun 3 days we had, count the fish larry. Two days with a 2 man limit both under 30 fish. One day with 3 man limit with under 45 fish. 22+29+44 is 95 perch in the 3 days we went . School hung around for a week I'm guessing. Had to start throwing smaller jumbo back. Followed the rules. Did nothing wrong. If you think I took too many perch I'm sorry bud but I was under my limit and the perch were there. And imma beat you to this. There's one person in that one picture but my buddy didn't want to hang around for the picture because he lives around 30 minutes from my house.

The Bergermiester 06-30-2015 06:35 AM

Nice Job on the perch..Ignore Assinlarry he's just trying to goat you into an argument because he's jealous of your catch. Just maybe 1 day they will get his psychotropic medication right and he can come out of his mom's basement. Larry no need to comment I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed insurance keyboard bully.

bassinlarry 06-30-2015 06:44 AM

Nevermind. Way to get out and catch those July 2014 perch.

Who is the guy with the dog?

Good job. I'm proud of you.

You are definitely closer to being Bassalaro material than 2sac.

bassinlarry 06-30-2015 06:59 AM

Matt, Bergy is right. I'm just giving you a bit of a hard time because it was a rough perching year for me last year. I'm pretty jealous looking at all of those nice fish.

Matt, do you and Bergy know each other? I thought maybe you live in the same neighborhood or more than likely shared a bunch of the same classes at school.

Anywhooo, I'll concede a loss here and move on.

Nice fish and I hope you catch a pile this July.

Tight lines.

HAUS 07-04-2015 07:09 AM

Well done , Nice to see them !