Perch Reports - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2015, 02:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to mattknay33 Send a message via AIM to mattknay33
Default Perch Reports

Is their any action going on in any of these harbors? Went on opening day and caught one at 31st harbor.
mattknay33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nada. Perch fishing/catching has been non-existent. Went out twice and only caught 7 fish total at Montrose. Sadly this could be the beginning of the end.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'll be giving it a go tomorrow -say it aint so-saw- its only the beginning-everything is weeks behind whats considered a normal spring...
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Went Sunday to Montrose. Had absolutely not a darn thing from 6am-noon. Harbor was very full from all the dads out fishing and almost no one had a thing. Tried everything I could minnows, plastics, drop shot.

Never fished in June so I can't say that it's the doom that Saw is proclaiming but all it takes is one good day to make me happy. Going to keep trying because I enjoy it, and if a few years of having to work hard to get something means that it'll pay off with some serious sized fish it's worth it to me.
Panner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2015, 11:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh, silly Bergy. Nothing is behind scedule. This is the beginning of the end. The water clarity is great, the temps are ideal. Where are the fish? There were perch around in late May and early June, not in great numbers, but a few were around.

There was a very wise man who made this post... https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...-poaching.html

Now more than ever, the world is turning to Bassinlarry to shed some light on the complex problems.This is not going to get better. Sure, there will still be days when you can get some fish, but don't ever think perch fishing will return to what us was even 5 years ago.

The people put in place to protect our Great Lakes have betrayed us all. Which is to be expected.

It is what it is. And what it is, is fairly bleak. The numbers don't lie.

I even went as far as going to Montrose in the pursuit of perch. I loathe the Montrosians. God how I hate them.

Bassalaro Proverb #4: Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and you will probably sleep with his mom.

Your fishin' pal,

Bassinlarry
bassinlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2015, 06:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

[QUOTE=; Now more than ever, the world is turning to Bassinlarry to shed some light on the complex problems.This is not going to get better. Sure, there will still be days when you can get some fish, but don't ever think perch fishing will return to what us was even 5 years ago..[/QUOTE]

Just because you cant fish or find them doesn't indicate the end. It only indicates your in ability to find them.
To think so high and mighty of one's self to believe the world is turning to you to shed some light on the problem is a grandiose fantasy for which I say -put the weed away try breathing some fresh air and clear your diluted mind.
I'm NOT Assinlarry material Thank God for that!!!
Old 06-23-2015, 08:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Oh Bergy, you can't handle the truth!

Please post pics of all of your fish from your recent trip to the front of the lake. Obviously, you know how to fish and you know where to find them

Bassinlarry has long been heralded as one of the top perchers as well as the songbird of his generation.

There are always going to be some perch around, but every year you are going to see their numbers diminish.

Though I lament the loss of our perch fishery, I realize that this is a time for strength and resolve. I shall still walk the shore of this Great Lake holding onto not only a 7' light action St Croix Legend Elite® paired with a 1000 Daiwa Fuego reel, but with a resolve and a tenacity found in few other CLF'ers.

Bergy, do not fret. I shall still catch my fish in the face of mounting odds and you as well as others can live vicariously through my achievements.

God bless America and Bassinlarry!

Bassalaro Proverb #4: Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and you will probably sleep with his mom.

Your fishin' pal,

Bassinlarry
bassinlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well last year was great for me. During mid July, 3 fishing trips within a 5 day span we brought in 86 perch or so. And before those days we had multiple days of catching 12 to 15 jumbo from belmont. I understand your post about plankton and the ecosystem but there are so many things to eat in lake michigan. Even if plankton might be a main source of food for the bait fish there has to be more sources of food in one of the Great Lakes. Cant see how last year was so good and now this year will be crap. I think people are just getting too ahead of themselves. The water is right temperature and the water is clear but the water is right temperature and is clear in late August and so also and there aren't as much perch in as in July or late June. The fishing world is weird. I honestly just think it hasn't been that warm yet, had mild weather so far and the fish just aren't fully in yet. Plus with all this rain and storms the pressure might have something to do with it. I remember some years I've killed them during mid august so maybe they are behind a few weeks or so.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Phytoplankton feeds zooplankton which feeds hatchling perch.
Mussels eat phytoplankton.
Mussels and lack of phosforus which phytoplankton utilize, lack of phosforus making cleaner clearer water, effect phytoplankton and therefore effect zooplankton and obviously perch populations. So has some climate change, to a small degree.
These are pretty established facts. Fisherman ( non -commercial ) have not been proven so far to have any lasting effects, nor have the changing regs state to state.
There are as of yet no chemicals which will work on the Great Lakes' grand scale needed, nor any animal life worth dumping in to take care of them either . Gobies take care of some mussel issues, but are in no way going to rid us of enough mussels to effect the perch populations in any notable way.
As of now it is not looking good for long term perch populations, but things change.
Perch could be stocked in large numbers ( have on a smaller scale) , but $$$$$$$$$, (#1 reason) and fear of contaminants are as of now preventing such stocking. These are the two major reasons our government has no stocking programs in place, they say...
Stocked perch would need to be of the same genetic make-up of the indigenous perch .

Last edited by Rich F; 06-23-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Rich F is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2015, 02:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Well I'm no biologist but is there any way the dnr can organize a breeding system where they grab some perch from lake michigan and breed them. They can even grab lake michigan water to breed them in if that have anything to do with it. Or am I talking stupid and crazy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in