trolling motor in, and fishmark unit attached...now what? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2003, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default trolling motor in, and fishmark unit attached...now what?

Trolling motor was easy. Thanks for the input. Even had an electrical fitting up front for it. However, I find I don't have one for the fishmark. I need some options.

1.) I could splice into the wires running up that power the bow light. Seems kinda small (18 gauge) , so not sure if will deliver the power I need.
2.) splice in to the trolling motor source. But fishmark book says try to keep it on a separate battery.
3.) run a new line from the back of boat to front.
4.) run the depthfinder power from front to back.

Any suggestions? And thanks, you guys have been great. Will post a picture when done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2003, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Don't use the power for the front light or it will need to be switched on to work..
The best bet is to run a dedicated power line from the back to the front, or from the fusebox to the front... This will provide the cleanest power and reduce chances for interference and static... Don't cut into the trolling motor wiring at all as this will only diminish the power available to the prop... And make sure to use the proper gauge of marine grade wire for the length of run as too thin a diameter wire will form a resistance choke inline and reduce performance as well as pose an overheating/fire hazard...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8fSwzRzKGg
ja-knee-sea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2003, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would say run a new wire from the fuse block. This way the fishfinder is fused, and dont have to worry about blowing it up.

The Little King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2003, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Or install an in-line fuse at the cranking motor battery,a 5 or 10 amp fuse should be big enough, I would run at least 12 ga. wire as with a 12 volt system voltage drop could be a problem. Use ring terminals at the battery end.
Do it once the right way. I hate it when I have to do things a 2nd time because I tried to cut corners.
MR. Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2003, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default great...thanks for the tips....

Was kinda dumbfounded, but now see the light. I put in a fuse, then bought a 2 plug connector from da auto zone. One end goes to cranking battery (2 wires), and the other to the depthfinder. I can easily disconnect, since I mounted the transducer to the bottom of the depthfinder.

Looks like I am good to go.

Thanks again, and I look forward to the next episode in our heros' continuing saga as FNG boater!
Old 11-06-2003, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

I first bought a boat in 1983 and have had at least one boat ever since... Everytime I get in the doggone thing, I see something I should do or have another idea... Welcome to the "Big hole in the water you shovel money into".... :wink:

Old 11-09-2003, 06:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default thanks for the tips.....

yep, another hole in the water you pour money into...

I figured as much and thought I'd make all my mistakes and learn all the lessons on my first boat. Fat chance, I figure, but hey I'm off to a good start.

I ended up getting a 2 wire plug, since one will be disconnected at the trolling motor, since I will be taking off the boat. I ran the wires back to to the battery. Labeled all hots with a band of red electrical tape, so I know where all goes in the spring. I connected up the trolling motor, and get this, it worked. I connected up the fishfinder, and get this, it worked too!

Like my daddy said, "sumtimes da sun shines on a dogs ass!". Thanks.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

That is great M...... I use the trolling motor about 75% of the time I am out and a good one is indespensible. I was also spoiled on my old boat with a depth foinder up front. You are a braver man than me as I would not put those things in myself. I always have a dream of drilling in my boat.....then sinking the next time out......Hope to see you on the water., :wink: :wink:
Rangerdeepv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2003, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default so I launch on Sat hoping to slay 'em....

oops, thats another post (see illinois river). Out on the water, everythings good. Evinrude running good, hitting the usual spots. Now it time to test out the new trolling motor and fish finder.

First, I made sure it worked by testing in the garage. Everthings a go, good power, no funny smells, no smoke, all fuses good. Get out on the water and nothing. Trolling motor doesn't go, fish finder is just fine, but with the transducer on the trolling motor, does me no good.

Check the battery, good. Transom trolling motor working ok, and says I got a full charge. Check the fuse, good. Check the connection, ok, but seemed loose and corroded. Replaced and made connection. Still no dice. Check the front plug, it's in all the way. Still no dice.

Pull out front plug, seems to be connected. Gave up, started to fish. No fish, still stewing about the powerdrive. Why won't this **** thing go? Wheres the disconnect? Went back to fishing, got a bite, but then went back to the trolling motor.

Figured the plug has got to the be the culprit. Checked plug again, three holes, but wait only two wires. Which three holes? (Imagine a triangle with A at top, B on left, C on right). A and B. How come my recepticle has 3 wires. Red, orange and black. Trace back to boat, found the three wires. Why are red and orange on one, and black on the other battery? Feel I am getting closer.

Put the black and red on one battery and left the orange off. Checked for power and VIOLA! I am in the game! Trolling Motor works GREAT! Fishmark works GREAT! (Still no stinkin' fish, though marked a mess of em'. )

Why the sniff are three wires going into the recepticle of my three wire plug? I know, I know, because it's a three wire plug. I am just trying to figure out what the extra wire is used for? Maybe a 24 volt system?

How did this mess happen? Because I took the battery out for a charge and did NOT label my wires. Last task before pulling out, wrapped red electrical tape on all leads, and corded all hot and negative per battery.

Learn something new every day. FNG boater getting experience.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Bingo on the orange wire for 24v... A 24v trolling motor uses 2 12v hot wires and a common ground... One lesson learned, 2,627,386 to go... But the best part is saying, "yea, I got a boat"....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in