This whole "fogging" an engine bidness.. - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2003, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default This whole "fogging" an engine bidness..

Some of my old two strokes, as mentioned in a earlier post, needed very little attention.

My 60 2 stroke may be a different case. A bit bigger, so maybe some better care.

1.Do you need to fog an engine?
2. If so, the directions on the can (got one)say spray in each carb until it stops. What if you have 3 carbs?
3. Not to be dopey, but how do you get it in the carb? I take my cover off and I see this plate thingy over all three carbs. Like an air filter, but thinner.

I figure if I run all the gas out of the carbs, I should be in good shape. Any suggestions would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2003, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

I will tell you what works for me. All I do at the end of the season, is put the right amount of Stabil in the gas then make sure it is well mixed, then run the engine 5 to 7 minutes. After the engine cools down some, pull the plugs, and spray fogging oil into each cylinder. With the plugs still out, crank the engine over a few times. Put the plugs back in, and you are done with the engine. Finish up with pulling the prop, checking the lower unit, greasing everything, and you are done.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, you should fog your motor. Here are a few things to do for the next year.

- change lower unit gear grease
- run stable through your gasoline for a while(10 minutes or so at fast idle)
- fog your engine: I had 3 carbs in my last motor(75 hp), while engine is running on very high idle, but don't over rev it, spray one carb for about 3 seconds with fog oil but don't spray too long or engine may quite, move on to the next carb for same amount of time, then move on to the last carb for same amount of time. Then continue to do the same thing again with each carb, try doing until fogging can is almost gone. As I was almost through the complete fogging can, I would detach fuel line from motor and continue spraying each carb until fuel ran out. Don't worry if the engine smokes a litte, this is normal.
- Then pull the plugs, squirt a little oil in the cyclinder and walla, your finished.
- your motor may smoke a little next spring when you first start it which is normal.
schrof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2003, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

The purpose of "Fogging " the engine is to provide lubrication to your cylinders to prevent rust from building up over the winter as well as your intake manifold, heads and valves. Fuel stabilizer is used to keep your fuel from going bad. It has a shelf life, the octane rating goes down as the fuel ages, as well as "Gum up" or "Varnish" which may cause floats or needle and seat assys. ect. to stick or clog.
The other thing to consider, especially if your boat is outside, is the condensation that forms from the metal (Engine,oil pan, aluminum fuel tank ect.) constantly changing temperature. This is why some people recommend topping off your fuel tank prior to storage. Water can also form inside your engine and end up in your oil if you have a 4 stroke.
To fog your engine what you need to do is remove the air filter and find the throttle body, or carb, and spray the fogging oil directly in the opening. To help you find it, once you removed the air filter, look for the throttle plate, you can start the engine without the filter on and listen or feel (watch out for moving parts) where the air is being drawn in. Another method would be to remove the air filter, and with the engine off, have someone operate the throttle, you`ll see the throttle plate opening and closing as the throttle is moved.
When I had an outboard I did the same as ffishman , I ran the engine for a while with the fuel stabilizer already added, shut it down, removed the spark plugs and shot the fogging spray thru the openings I then turned the engine over a few times by hand. It`s pretty easy to turn with all the spark plugs removed.

"Wet Nets"
Captain Jim
Old 11-13-2003, 10:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default DarrenB

I have had so much bad luck with old gas gumming up the carbs(even with using stabil) and making the motor difficult to start in spring, that I just disconnect the fuel hose and run all the gas out of the motor while I am fogging. Whatever gas is leftover from the boat goes in the truck.
For me it's a matter of convenience. I would rather drive down the street to the gas station in the spring for some brand new gas and start the motor up right away, than spend an hour out back with the motor cover off spraying starting fluid into the carbs and wearing down the starting battery.
DarrenB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2003, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've had problems with gumming up the carbs in the past and I would unhook the gas to my motor and run it dry when I had my Yami because it was just a plug in, but since I've had my Johnson it isn't as easy so I haven't been doing it anymore and haven't had any problem with gumming up the carbs. I just put in stabil and run the motor now. I think the gas is better than it was years ago.
Shadrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in