Casting Deck Wood - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2005, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Casting Deck Wood

I got great advice about what to use when I was replacing my transom, that I figured I would see what you guys think about my next project. I plan on putting in a small casting deck on my 14' starcraft - what kind of wood would you recommend? A thin plywood that you would weather coat? or a pre-treated heavier plywood? Pros and Cons - any thoughts?
RiverRat242 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2005, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

The lighter the better. with out seeing your boat or knowing your basic plan it is hard for me to advise. A friend of mine used aluminum tubing from a scrape yard as a base/frame covered with painted masonite, then covered with out door carpet.
It was light and easily removed from boat. It held up nicely.

good luck.
no limit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2005, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

The last time I made a deck for a boat, I used green treated plywood and Thompsons water seal... After cutting and fitting the deck to the hull, I removed it and put it into a large thick black plastic bag(3 mil I think and 39 gallon)... I poured the entire gallon of Thompsons into the bag and taped it shut and laid it on the floor... I flipped the bag over every morning as I left the garage for 4 days(twice on each side)... Then I nipped a corner of the bag and drained the water seal back into the can, opened the bag and set the board on edge to dry... It has now been on the front deck uncovered and unpainted, except a thin coat of poly with some anti-skid powder added, for more than 5 years and it shows no signs of weathering or rot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8fSwzRzKGg
ja-knee-sea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2005, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

I built one some years ago. I built mine out of 3/4 inche marine grade plywood. I then sealed it and carpeted it. Lasted forever, and was super strudy.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Any suggestions on a place where to purchse some marine grade plywood? I called the local lumber yards and they do not carry it. Thanks for the help.
RiverRat242 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2005, 02:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'd start here... If they can't sell to you directly, they can at least point you in the right direction....

http://www.aetnaplywood.com/chicago/default.asp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8fSwzRzKGg
ja-knee-sea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2005, 02:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

I made one that lasted forever. I used 3/4 plywood and painted it with black rustoleum, then covered it with indoor outdoor carpet. I never had a problem with water warping the wood, infact the guy who bought the boat still has not had any problems and it's going on 10 plus years
fishingbass5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2005, 02:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

If the expense of marine grade plywood is too much, look at some MDO plywood. The highway depts. uses it for making roadsigns and it holds up well. I extended my casting deck and used MDO with a coat of fiberglass resin. Outdoor carpet glue and carpet finnished the job. No problems so far( 2 yrs).
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2006, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

No problems with ply. Probably want to stick with a 3/4 for strength and stability. Only problem is weight. Too much wood will weight your bow down. If you can design an aluminum support under the ply(instead of wood), it will really help. Most manufacturers use a box/grid system. They make the outside walls from sheet aluminum and them weld in box channel and angle channel in a grid form. Screw the wood to it and your ready to go. Marine grade is always better but, it sound like an imtermediate boat. If you plan on ugrading in the next few years, don't worry about it, it will last. I am still up in the air on coatings. I have hear that outdoor carpet glue will work great as glue and double as a coating. I have also heard of guys having problems with the glue sticking to treated ply and coated ply. To be honest, I do not have experience with it myself. I did build a deck once with plain high quality ply ($25 a sheet) and used the outdoor carpet glue. I had no issues myself, but when I'm wasn't fishing, I covered it with a good quality boat cover. Invest in one, No matter what you have or use, protect it!
Nuwwave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2006, 11:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Benton lumber in Zion, IL. THey have Marine Ply in stock and will sell you a 1/2 sheet to boot.

I would put 3 coats of West System epoxy. Then carpet, You will have to wash the amine blush off of the cured epoxy. I would also lightly sand the carpet side with 80 or 100 grit prior to gluing the carpet down..

The aluminum frame/grid work is an excellent idea. Then you could lighten the ply to say 1/2" and still have the strength to support you.

Just my $.02
1gwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in