Quest on trailer repair (wheel replacement) and fish-finder - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to teledelux
Default Quest on trailer repair (wheel replacement) and fish-finder

I just bought my 1st boat - a 1969 14' v-hull fiberglass w/1969 9.5hp johnson outboard. I got a great deal on it. It came with motor, trolling motor, running lights, anchors, paddles, trailer - for $810. Gotta love eBay.
The trailer was home-made in 1954. It is in remarkable shape, but the wheels are very old and the tires are cracking, and I want to replace them so I can have a spare and feel comfortable driving to northern wisconsin, which i do 3-4 times/year.
Does anyone recommend a marina where I can take the trailer and have the wheels replaced? Never worked with a marina and wanna make sure I go to one that is supported by this group. As well, I don't wanna go to Pep Boys. They screwed up my Jeep when I was out of town and my wife asked them to fix the rear wipers.

Also - I am looking for any suggestions on cheaper fish-finders. I don't wanna spend $500, but want something I can use in not so large water, and ideally while ice fishing. Never used electonics before either.

All suggestions and help are greatly appreciated.

Thanx --
teledelux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2006, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Don't know what part of chicago you live in, but write diwn the size of the tire and rim and don't forget the number of lug holes the rim has and take it to Farm and Fleet in woodstock. They have them already together and ready to install.

As for the fish finder, all the mfr's make portable finders. I don't ice fish so I cen't tell you if a vexilar will work over open water but I heard they are the best for ice fishing. I know Hummingbird and Eagle make good inexpensive finders. I have the Piranha from hummingbird and it's decent. I am going to upgrade next year ( this one is only two years old), I wish I had spent the money off the bat.

Good luck and congrats on the boat
fishingbass5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2006, 07:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

You may not want to spend the money, but if it was me this is what I would do. Since you do not know a whole bunch about, tire, wheels, bearings, and axels, this first time, I would take it in and have things checked by a professional. When he breaks stuff down, he may spot a furture problem, that you would have missed. This can save you time and money in the long run. Better to pay him now, than be broken down on the side of the hwy somewhere in Wis. ruining your vacation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in