Boat Registration question for a 10ft boat - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2006, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ManiacRadio1
Default Boat Registration question for a 10ft boat

do i have to register a 10ft 2 man boat? I know I have to register my big boat but I thought I heard if you have a small boat under a certain foot length that you don't have to? I was going to buy this 2 man boat today for some ponds and forest preserve lakes.
ManiacRadio1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2006, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yep, you have to register it if you're going to fish on public water. I had to register my 8 ft. Bass Baby to take it on the backwaters.
atlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2006, 01:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ManiacRadio1

thanks atlake how much did the registration cost you?
ManiacRadio1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2006, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

I love google:

In Illinois, boat and recreational watercraft titling and registration are handled by the Department of Natural Resources. The DNR offers its manual, The Illinois Boat Title, Registration and Safety Act Digest, as a PDF download. You can view this using Adobe's free Reader software.
Illinois requires that all watercraft be registered and titled. This applies to everything from a Jet Ski to a luxury yacht. Sailboards are exempt. So are boats without motors that are used only on water that is completely surrounded by land that you own.

First-time Registration
If you are registering you boat for the first time, you will need to submit a boat registration application, supporting documents, and the necessary fee. You may also pick up this form from the DNR or from boat dealerships. Page three of the form has instructions for filling it out.

In addition to the application form, you'll need to submit the following:

New boat registrations require the Manufacturer's Certification of Origin.
Used boats require the previous owner's registration and title documents.
All sales of boats require the payment of sales tax, which can only be determined on a vessel-by-vessel basis by contacting the Illinois Department of Revenue at (800) 732-8866. This amount must accompany any request for registration and title.

The fees for a first-time title and registration depend on the length of your boat. The registration is valid for three years:

Class A (all canoes and kayaks used commercially): $13
Class 1 (all other watercraft less than 16ft): $22
Class 2 (16ft to less than 26ft): $52
Class 3 (26ft to less than 40ft): $82
Class 4 (40ft and over): $107
Payment of these fees will get you a new title, a registration card, and two registration decals.

You may send your application form, supporting documentation, and fees to:

Watercraft
Illinois Department of Natural Resources
P.O. Box 19226
Springfield, IL 62794-9226

Registration Renewals
You need to renew your boat's registration every three years. You may easily do this over the phone using a credit card by calling (866) 867-3542. You may also renew your registration online.

The registration renewal fees are as follows:

Class A (all canoes and kayaks used commercially): $6
Class 1 (all other watercraft less than 16ft): $15
Class 2 (16ft to less than 26ft): $45
Class 3 (26ft to less than 40ft): $75
Class 4 (40ft and over): $100
Questions about new or renewal registrations should be directed to the Department of Natural Resources: (217) 557-0180 or (800) 382-1696.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't mean to piggy back on this discussion, but what if you can't find the registration received from the person you bought the boat from. Any options for that? I have a 15' sea nymph jon boat I am looking to sell and figure i need to get the registration figured out before I do that. It doesn't expire until 2008 though, but better sooner than later I suppose.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
fizhon76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2006, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I love google...

Home > Illinois > DMV Guide >
Registration & Titling
It is the Illinois DMV that issues vehicle registrations and titles in the state, as well as maintaining the official vehicle ownership and registration records in Illinois.
Beyond establishing the legally registered owner during the sale of a vehicle, the Illinois DMV also takes on the responsibility of regulating and issuing the decals, or tags, that prove that a Illinois vehicle's registration and paperwork are current. Registration renewals require proof of financial liability, most often in the form of adequate auto insurance.

Should you lose your Illinois vehicle registration, you will need to file for a replacement through the IL DMV. Other special situations regarding vehicle registration are covered by the Illinois Department of Motor Vehicles as well: how to register a salvaged car; how to register an imported car; how to renew your registration while in the military; and how to register antique vehicles or farm equipment. These are just some of the services provided by the IL DMV.

How to Register Your Car in Illinois Before you are able to legally drive a vehicle on the streets of Illinois, your vehicle (whether it be a passenger car, commercial vehicle, trailer, motorcycle, or boat) must be registered through the IL DMV.
Car Insurance Another requirement to getting a vehicle legal in Illinois, is that the owner and/or driver must provide proof of financial responsibility―in other words, car insurance, to the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Illinois Title Transfers Both buyers and sellers of vehicles in the state of Illinois have responsibilities to provide information to the Illinois Department of Motor Vehicles before a proper title transfer documenting the change of ownership can be approved.

How to Register Your Illinois Boat On the Illinois boat registration page, you will find boat registration details, change of ownership regulations, and renewal information.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ed
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizhon76
I don't mean to piggy back on this discussion, but what if you can't find the registration received from the person you bought the boat from. Any options for that? I have a 15' sea nymph jon boat I am looking to sell and figure i need to get the registration figured out before I do that. It doesn't expire until 2008 though, but better sooner than later I suppose.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
It's no biggie to get a relacement fizhon76.
I have had my canoe since I was 17 years old.
I had long lost it by the time they started the need to have a canoe registered.
I just sent in the serial numbers and my name and they sent it right out.
They probably figured no sane person is going to send in money to register a X-years old 15' canoe if they don't really own it.

Note to anyone who cares:
DANG those ribs simmering smell GREAT!
Old 12-20-2006, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you very much, that is what I figured as well, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks again!
fizhon76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2006, 07:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

it says all canoes and kayaks used commercially? why do you need to register it then ed?
TaterToT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2006, 10:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ed
Administrator

Maybe they changed it this year but...

Class 1 (all other watercraft less than 16ft): $22
Doesn't make sense to charge more for a canoe that isn't used commercially though.
I had to renew mine last year or the year before so I'll have to look into it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in