need help choosing bow mount trolling motor - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007, 02:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default need help choosing bow mount trolling motor

hi all,

I'm in trolling motor ****.

this is what I need
1. "remote" control of the trolling motor - my fiancee can't use her legs very well, so it would near impossible for the foot pedal thing to work.

2. would like 12V, but may be able to do 24V depending on my measurements tomorrow

3. have enough power to push an Aluminum 16' deep v with 4 people in it and gear and stuff.

4. boat use will be mostly on motor restricted lakes (either 10hp or trolling motor only
I know these aren't the best needs in the world, but it is what I have so far. I will be doing some measuring, etc tomorrow evening to see what shaft length, etc I will need to make everything work ok.

I really like the idea of the Minn Kota CoPilot for the Terrova series of motors : http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/ ... lotterrova or the Motor Guide Wireless series : http://sites.mercurymarine.com/portal/p ... ema=PORTAL

like i said above, my fiancee has extremely limited use of her legs so this is my main concern. I don't want her to get frustrated or upset because she has to be hands on with the trolling motor all the time. Much rather have me catching all fish upset her instead

any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
fishermanscott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2007, 06:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul S

Scott,

The biggect 12 V MK is a 55 lb which should meet your power requirements. However, with 4 people in a deep-v, I would try to get more thrust so check to see if you can do the 24 V and then get the biggest possible. For you fiancee, have you thought about the autopilot feature? If you get it set up right it can do a lot of the work for you. Keep in ming that with a deep-v and the high sides, a cross wind and the autopilot doesn't match up very well. One last thing, get the universal sonar. Yeah it is a little more but you don't have to deal with that annoying transducer wire. Good fishing. Paul
Old 04-20-2007, 07:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

One of the main reasons I purchased a Minnkota powerdrive was that the foot control had such a long cord....and had the ability to be upgraded to wireless...that way I could steer from anywhere in the boat...my girlfriend is a non boater or my nephews are too young to steer......I think you're on the right track!!
RnR fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2007, 09:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul S

Great advice RNR,

So a big 24-V Autopilot Powerdrive with Co-pilot and the built-in transducer will solve all your problem. Ouch- I have an idea what that will cost and it's not pretty! Let us know what you go with. Paul
Old 04-20-2007, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
KP

I have the Minnkota Auto Pilot 55 with Co-Pilot on my 16 foot Lund. The power is adequate for what I need. A higher thrust 24v would be better but I did not want the added 60 lbs in the front of my boat. Get the longest shaft you can justify or just get the longest shaft period for whatever thrust you are looking at. It's better to have too much than too little on those days when waves are bringing the lower unit out of the water. The 54" shaft on mine is just barely enough and many days on the busy Chain it's not enough at all. That's another problem with the 12 volt motors in that series.

The auto pilot with co-pilot remote works exceptionally well. I wear the remote on my wrist for the occasional course change. Otherwise I can concentrate on fishing rather than where I'm going. Especially on windy days.

I'm thinking of upgrading to the Terrova series so my AP 55 may be available for sale. It's been used two years and has a spare prop.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have an Alumacraft Navigator 165CS that is fairly heavy. 90HP Optimax, extra seats, lots of fishing gear, 3 batteries, on board charger/maintainer.

I have the Minn Kota Power Drive 80# (24volt) with Universal Sonar and remote autopilot.

I love that trolling motor, I use it to troll and I can be anywhere on the boat using the wireless remote to control the boat. The motor has plenty of power for my size boat. I use Wal-Mart Everstart deep cycle size 31 batteries and get about 3 seasons then replace them (fairly inexpensive $65 each). That is enough power to go for a long day of fishing.

If I was buying a unit today, I would go with Terrova product as the built in transducer will now return temperature if you use a fish finder on the bow. I would think this would be easy to run for a person with a disability, especially with the auto-pilot. Aim your boat, push the button and it will stat on course by itself and works pretty well.
jjkessler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2007, 10:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
JT

I too think the Power Drive series with the long cord could be the way to go. I could then let my kids sit up front while I maintain where we go. I've been casually looking for a 12 Volt used one for a while now and they seem to command a premium price for a used unit so they must be good units...

JT
Old 04-20-2007, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
KP

Boat + Cords + Kids = Bad Day on the Water.

Do yourself a favor and spend the extra cash for Auto Pilot and Co-Pilot. You'll be happy you did.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

there is one right here on CLF!!!

https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forum ... hp?t=51043
Old 04-22-2007, 01:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think I am going to wait and see what Bass Pro's Grand Opening comes up with. hopefully they will have a nice sale to entice me to buy

right now I'm leaning to the terrova with the CoPilot. thanks for everyones help.
fishermanscott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in