ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Thinkin of buyin Bass Tracker Pro17 Reviews? Recs?

54K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Edmac 
#1 ·
I am thinking about buying a 93 bass tracker pro 17 with a johnson 40hp on it. The boat is in good shape and everything works. I am just looking for anyone who has owned a bass tracker in the past for any input they might have on these boats? Are they good all around boats or is there anything I should keep an eye out for? Has anyone experienced any problems with these boats? Any info is appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
I had a 16' Bass Tracker II that I bought new in 1983... Used it continuously until I sold it to Oldgrayfish about 5 years ago and last I heard, he was still using it... The only problems I ever had were of my own doing... Leaving it out in the winter rotted the decks, and I went through casting chairs every 3-4 years... There are much better boats out there, but a used Bass Tracker that's out of warranty(most complaints are with BPS Customer Service anyway) should serve you well for years......

#3 ·
boat

Just did a quick search. Didnt see any pro 17s with a 40 horse. One had a 50 and most had 60s. I was just thinkin a 40 might be a little underpowered for that boat. Ive never owned one but alot of guys have said basstracker is famous for underpowering their boats.I know you said its a 93 so i guess it would just depend on how good of a price you were getting.

#4 ·
Agree about the 40hp. I purchased a 1989 Tracker TX-17 with a 50hp.
Evenrude a dozen years ago,never had a major problem with it, motor starts up first time every mid-march for Wis river walleye,takes on a little water but she's getting old,having a tracker logo is like wearing a cubs shirt some people want to throw rocks at you!but I couldnt pass this one years ago for the price I got it for,I think it's all about the motor anyways
make sure its good and maintain the heck out of it. Good luck.

#5 ·
I've got an '87 Guide Special V-16 I'm gonna get ready to sell.

It's got a 40 HP Mariner on it and moves along pretty good. BTW that's the max allowed HP for this boat. I like it, Doesn't leak; tows real nice....I forget it's back there sometimes. :-D

#9 · (Edited)
I strongly disagree with the 40 hp being underpowered. I have all the original paperwork for my 1988 Pro17. It came stock with a 25hp. 40hp & 60hp were upgrades to the base price of $5995. In fact the 40hp was $1500 more while the 60hp pushed the price to $8995. My 1988 Bass Tracker Pro17 does just fine with it's 40hp Mariner. I can tow two grown men on tubes with two more in the boat. Total weight is around 1500lbs with the motor.

Also there are not many better bass boats out there. Bass Trackers are the #1 best selling boats in the US. That means there are lots of parts available. Plenty of aftermarket bolt on stuff. Also they are very easy to do repairs and upgrades yourself with little or no experience. You want to know how to recarpet your Bass Tracker? Look on YouTube. There are hundreds of videos. There are not many boats that you can say are as heavily discussed, modified, and restored as Bass Trackers. Also there are not many boats that can claim as much DIY maintenance & repair. Most boats require you to take it in for everything. Bass Tracker is a boaters boat.

Attachments

#11 ·
Friend of mine had one. NEVER got on plane and was very unstable in the water because it was so narrow compared to newer model boats. Bass Tracker has come a long way especially with their deep V's. They still have a way to go in my opinion. If this is your first boat it may be a good starter boat. I would put it at no more than $2000 and probably closer to $1500. The big potential plus is the Johnson motor. They run forever. Keep in mind the boat is 21 years old. Check the transom for rot, check for leaks, check any and all electronics and wire systems, both boat and trailer. Good luck.

#13 ·
40 is great

I have a 40 on the boat. It has plenty of power and can pull tubers or skiers and gets me to fishing spots fast. Top end is around 35MPH with two in the boat and towing. A bit faster when not towing anyone. But that is great power for this craft. Sure, a 60 would rock it.....but why? Life is short...slow down, enjoy. My only complaint is the trolling motor blows fuses like crazy. I suspect a wiring issue.short.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.