Thinkin of buyin Bass Tracker Pro17 Reviews? Recs? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thinkin of buyin Bass Tracker Pro17 Reviews? Recs?

I am thinking about buying a 93 bass tracker pro 17 with a johnson 40hp on it. The boat is in good shape and everything works. I am just looking for anyone who has owned a bass tracker in the past for any input they might have on these boats? Are they good all around boats or is there anything I should keep an eye out for? Has anyone experienced any problems with these boats? Any info is appreciated. Thanks
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

I had a 16' Bass Tracker II that I bought new in 1983... Used it continuously until I sold it to Oldgrayfish about 5 years ago and last I heard, he was still using it... The only problems I ever had were of my own doing... Leaving it out in the winter rotted the decks, and I went through casting chairs every 3-4 years... There are much better boats out there, but a used Bass Tracker that's out of warranty(most complaints are with BPS Customer Service anyway) should serve you well for years......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8fSwzRzKGg
ja-knee-sea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default boat

Just did a quick search. Didnt see any pro 17s with a 40 horse. One had a 50 and most had 60s. I was just thinkin a 40 might be a little underpowered for that boat. Ive never owned one but alot of guys have said basstracker is famous for underpowering their boats.I know you said its a 93 so i guess it would just depend on how good of a price you were getting.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Agree about the 40hp. I purchased a 1989 Tracker TX-17 with a 50hp.
Evenrude a dozen years ago,never had a major problem with it, motor starts up first time every mid-march for Wis river walleye,takes on a little water but she's getting old,having a tracker logo is like wearing a cubs shirt some people want to throw rocks at you!but I couldnt pass this one years ago for the price I got it for,I think it's all about the motor anyways
make sure its good and maintain the heck out of it. Good luck.
GREG PRUCHA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've got an '87 Guide Special V-16 I'm gonna get ready to sell.

It's got a 40 HP Mariner on it and moves along pretty good. BTW that's the max allowed HP for this boat. I like it, Doesn't leak; tows real nice....I forget it's back there sometimes.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

gregk check pm
Old 07-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have been fishing out of a 1989 pro 17 with a 35 hsp for a long time, used it today at Heidecke, I love it just like it was said most of the time you forget you are towing it, great for the rivers or lakes. I think I will still be using it for awhile.
hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
KP

That boat is under powered with a 40 on it. If it's in the $2500 price range it'd be OK. Otherwise, there are ALOT better boats out there.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

I strongly disagree with the 40 hp being underpowered. I have all the original paperwork for my 1988 Pro17. It came stock with a 25hp. 40hp & 60hp were upgrades to the base price of $5995. In fact the 40hp was $1500 more while the 60hp pushed the price to $8995. My 1988 Bass Tracker Pro17 does just fine with it's 40hp Mariner. I can tow two grown men on tubes with two more in the boat. Total weight is around 1500lbs with the motor.

Also there are not many better bass boats out there. Bass Trackers are the #1 best selling boats in the US. That means there are lots of parts available. Plenty of aftermarket bolt on stuff. Also they are very easy to do repairs and upgrades yourself with little or no experience. You want to know how to recarpet your Bass Tracker? Look on YouTube. There are hundreds of videos. There are not many boats that you can say are as heavily discussed, modified, and restored as Bass Trackers. Also there are not many boats that can claim as much DIY maintenance & repair. Most boats require you to take it in for everything. Bass Tracker is a boaters boat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10838185_910166649026499_2006854683254992328_o.jpg (233.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by DoctorHook; 05-30-2015 at 10:35 AM.
DoctorHook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2015, 06:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorHook View Post
I strongly disagree with the 40 hp being underpowered. I have all the original paperwork for my 1988 Pro17. It came stock with a 25hp. 40hp & 60hp were upgrades to the base price of $5995. In fact the 40hp was $1500 more while the 60hp pushed the price to $8995. My 1988 Bass Tracker Pro17 does just fine with it's 40hp Mariner. I can tow two grown men on tubes with two more in the boat. Total weight is around 1500lbs with the motor.

Also there are not many better bass boats out there. Bass Trackers are the #1 best selling boats in the US. That means there are lots of parts available. Plenty of aftermarket bolt on stuff. Also they are very easy to do repairs and upgrades yourself with little or no experience. You want to know how to recarpet your Bass Tracker? Look on YouTube. There are hundreds of videos. There are not many boats that you can say are as heavily discussed, modified, and restored as Bass Trackers. Also there are not many boats that can claim as much DIY maintenance & repair. Most boats require you to take it in for everything. Bass Tracker is a boaters boat.
Welcome Dr. Hook. Reminds me of one of my fav bands

Superfluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in