New To the area - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2017, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New To the area

Hi guys, moved here last year from the UK. I've done a lot of carp fishing back there and was amazed to find out that people don't really target this species over here! I live in the Mount Prospect area, visited salt Creek in busse woods and Algonquin dam but I was targeting walleye and bass as I had no idea they had good numbers of carp there. Will definitely try fishing for carp next time. Do you guys know any other good carp spots. I'm planning on going to Joliet and fish the Des Plaines river soon, I've heard of some big carp being caught there. Would love to get involved!
Carper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2017, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

You are in luck! The Midwest has a lot of Carp. I would say the average weight that I catch is about 8 or 9 pounds. I have yet to hook into the really big bruisers, but I have seen them jumping, and they are easily upwards of 18-20 pounds.

I can't think of a regular fishing spot that doesn't produce nice carp.

There are massive common and mirror carp in the Chicago harbors. Navy pier, etc. Fox river at Algonquin dam, downtown Elgin, St. Charles dam, Carpentersville dam...

Last edited by habeebtc; 01-31-2017 at 11:56 PM.
habeebtc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2017, 09:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the response! My PB is around 15lb and I caught it on a very light float rod on a piece of luncheon meat. In fact just about every carp I caught in the UK was caught on meat. If you never tried it, go to your local Aldi and buy German style luncheon meat in a metal tin. Cut them into 1cm cubes on a size 8 hook for the best results (you can try bigger cubes) carp are real suckers for it. Nobody really sells carp fishing gear here since no-one is fishing for them. In Europe you can drive to any shop and buy boilies pellets and groundbait.

I found a good recipe for groundbait (chum as you guys like to call it) that you can make at home.

http://carp-fishing-reels.com/blog/c...ndbait-recipe/

Makes a lot of difference in attracting the fish to the area!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you ever plan make it out to the Algonquin or Carpentersville dams, let me know. I'm in the area and can head out there. I know there's some really big carp around Algonquin dam.
Taterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2017, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah for sure. I was actually considering going to Algonquin soon seeing as though every other body of water is frozen. Was thinking there or Joliet on Des plaines river as there are carp there over 30lb.

Have a look on YouTube it says carping on Des Plaines river IL the video is about 30 mins long.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Cool. My schedule is very flexible, just let me know a bit in advance.
Taterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

There is a common monsters in Busse 30+
skyca84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2017, 12:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

I live just around the corner from busse and the water looks good but I'm not a big fan of fishing right by paths/public areas. I'm actually planning on going this/next weekend to the part where salt Creek runs into the dam at busse lake to try for pike but watched a video of someone foul hooking a decent size carp there with a spinner.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hi, Carper. And welcome to the Chicagoland area! Yes, there is some great carp fishing in the area. In the last two years I've gotten into the sport and have found it to be a really exciting pastime. I've caught some monsters out here and it's been thrilling!

You'll be pleased to know that there IS a bait and tackle shop not far from you that specializes in carp bait and tackle. Wacker Bait & Tackle has opened a location in Cary (not far from Mt. Prospect) that not only has a showroom but also an ecommerce site you can purchase many things you could find back in the U.K. I recommend you check them out as I've had good luck finding what I need there. This shop manufactures their own bait and also sells other locally-produced bait too! I've had great success with another Chicago-based company's boilies. World Classic Baits...

Another great carp fishing location is Lake Zurich. I've caught a few 20-pounders there using pineapple-flavored groundbait and pineapple corn pips. The carp in that lake really seem to like vanilla, pineapple, and tutti-frutti flavors... But yes, location is great. Clean, lots of shade, bathrooms, parking-- a go-to spot for me. Lots of Eastern European anglers and some British fellows. Maybe you'll make a friend with a similar transplant from the motherland?

Hope I've helped you a bit. Good luck with your carp fishing!

Last edited by Mmmbaraccuda; 06-25-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Mmmbaraccuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2017, 05:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

The Chain of lakes is loaded with carp. And I mean loaded. Years ago I used to own a cabin on the river up there and for fun I would carp fish. A treble hook, with some corn. Caught some really big ones. Great fighters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in