grass carp - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2005, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default grass carp

I just got into carp fishing and I've been catching quite a few common carps but am interested in grass carp. What kind of waters are they in and what bait should I use? Are they uncommon? Any info would help. Thanks
Patman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2005, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

I will tell you precisely where you can catch big, really big grass carp! Drive down to the Graue Mill, on York Road, in Hinsdale. Walk downstream for about a block. And when the stream takes a hairpin to the left, walk up and over the south bank. And there you will find a pond situated between two colonial style office buildings. I swear on one of my testicles, there are big grass carp in there, and there plenty to go around. I never deliberately fished for grass carp, but this a good place to check out. Check it out my friend.

Gene
unremarkable bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2005, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post Script:

THESE ARE in fact grass carp. They are not common carp, and there are no common carp in this pond. Just grass carp and smallish sunfish. The spillway is high enough that fish from Salt Creek cannot enter the pond when the stream is high. So jump on Odgen and head on down to Hissdale.

Gene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2005, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks a lot for the spot, I appreciate it. Do you fish for them the same way as common carp? This would be a first for me(grass carp that is).
Old 05-10-2005, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Pat:

I couldn't tell you how to catch 'em. I never targeted grass carp or fished for them. They are rather exotic looking. Their mouths are shaped and positioned differently than your common carp, and their bodies are shaped entirely differently; they are longer and slimmer by design. And their eyes are positioned in the middle of their head. They are almost scary looking. To tell the truth, I don't even know if grass carp (like bighead carp) are true carp at all. I could be wrong, but I think they are just generically labeled carp. Just like brookies are called trout and walleye pike.

Gene
Old 05-10-2005, 12:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

UB, I did a quick search on them and it looks like they eat all vegetation. I saw that some guys catch them on corn. Some sites said carp family and others said they were a part of the minnow family. Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know how I did when I go.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

You should be able to get some tips here http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/
Old 05-10-2005, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks smitty for the link. I'm going to try UB's spot this week. Are they in most ponds and lakes? I've only seen commons jumping in the rivers and what not. Do they not jump as much?
Old 05-11-2005, 10:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Grass carp are generally stocked in ponds for weed control. They are voracious eaters and they are sterile, so they can't overpopulate the pond like common carp would. They live for many years and, as mentioned, grow quite large. I forgot the ratio of how many grass carp are supposed to be stocked for the size of the pond, but it's pretty low - like 1 per acre. I'm not sure what you can use for bait or a lure with spinning gear. I have read about different flies that can be tied to target grass carp specifically - one represented floating organic plant matter - called the "Crud Fly" and another actually looked like grass clippings. The latter was used by a fishermen who would target the pond right after the mowers went by - the grass carp would come up by the shore and eat the clippings that fell into the water.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

smitty is correct on the grass carp in the ponds for weed control. We have 2 grass carp for our 18 acre pond. You actually need a permit to stock them because they can wipe out a pond and disturb the natural ecosystem if you put too many in depending on the size of the lake( i am not sure on the amounts?)i was told they do not reproduce so you do not need to worry about the pond becoming out of control. I was curious when this thread started how you would approach catching something that only eats vegetation. Very interesteing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in