ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

what size motor for K3

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bassboat 
#1 ·
although i've fished the river for many years i really haven't from a boat...i recently was given a 12ft boat and was thinkin of putting a 2hp motor on it that way i can haul it in bed of my truck,would that be big enough to scoot me up river? Would a trolling motor be enough to take me up river since it would be lighter to carry. ANY Suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)

#2 ·
That's pretty small. If the current is low and you have the wind at your back, a 2 hp may work. I have a 15 on my 12' and with two adults (me being 200lbs) and another guy weighing 165, I was able to hit 22mph on the DPR. With myself and a guy weighing 240+ I was stuck at 9-10 with a strong head wind and current.

#3 ·
I tried it once with a 4hp motor, extremely slow going against the current. I'd suggest at least a 9.5 hp motor. I can't for the life of me remember what size trolling motor I used to use, I remember it was on the large side so I could make headway against the strong currents you will encounter.

#4 ·
A 55 thrust minnkota will slowly move your 12' boat up river in mild to low current. In heavy currents after rainfall you will drain the battery quickly.For outboards, 2 hp is a little bit small for a river like the Kankakee. I would start at a 4-5 hp. it won't get you going real fast, but will be more practical for loading and unloading. I've got a 4 hp on a 10' two man boat and average 5 mph up river. It's nice not having a trailer and being able to set up and go wherever. Those motors can get heavy,if you go over 5 hp. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.