10/15/05-Kankakee River - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2005, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 10/15/05-Kankakee River

What a great time of the year to be a outdoorsman.You can do everything now. Saw duck and deer hunters out today, bass and eye fishermen, and of course bowfishermen. Went out to the DCA today, and met Herpin and SCR for some late season bowfishing. Nothing much on the surface, though we did get some daylight shots at some carp. But.....under the lights the fish could be found, in good size. Actually, lots of good size commons and buffs. Ended up with 8 common carp, the largest being 14 lbs, and 2 smallmouth buffalo. The water is cool and crystal clear. I think the bowfishing will be good till the freeze. Got most the fish around bardwell island on the dropoffs next to the flats. Lots of ducks, egrets, and white pelicans out today too.
Ejoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2005, 10:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

ejoe & herpin:
thanks again for the trip and all the info!
scr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2005, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do any good by the dam?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2005, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey no problem. The thanks really go to Ed. He has really helped out alot of newcomers like myself. Wish we could have gotten you a fish. I was surprised at how many we saw under the lights. Dont understand why we didnt see that many after sun up.

I hit the **** up for about an hour. Got a couple dink smallies. Hooked up with a small walleye but he got off at my feet. Almost shat myself when I had a fish peel line for almost 15 seconds. Didnt see what it was, but as I walked to the right side of the dam i saw a couple big carp swimming around so I'm sure I had just snagged one. A couple guys told me they did well on the walleye and smallies using a jig and twister. Too bad I didnt have any with me.

Mike
herpin1579 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2005, 03:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

What I have been told by some carp fishing guys I know, is the carp put on a big feed in the fall to get ready for the winter months. They dont have spawning to think about, so they come up into the shallows and pig out. Dont think they go to shallow though due to colder surface temps.
With the latent heat change that creates fog, the top 6 in. of water has to be alot cooler due to evaporation, keeping them a little deeper, so you cant see them in the daytime.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default got out there again....

my friend and i hit the same areas yesterday. got out on the water about 30minutes before sunrise. didn't see too many fish around bardwell island. my friend got a 6lb common on his 2nd shot ever. and i finally got my first fish too: a 3lb 11oz common. not too big but he was a pretty deep and moving so it was pretty rewarding. we saw more fish along the shoreline to the left of the boat launch (up to and past the train bridge) once the sun came up. good times!
Old 10-20-2005, 10:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Congrats!!! Thats great......
How did the boat and lights work out?
Old 10-20-2005, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

the boat did pretty good. our trolling motor is a little undersized but we were able to get into some really shallow stuff. that boat is JUST big enough for two people. one guy can shoot while the other worked the spotlight and motor. as for the spotlight i think the water we were in during the dark was just too churned up to be effective. had we been in the clearer stuff i think we wouldn've done much better. all in all the handheld spotlight seemed to do ok and we'll use it again. putting a rack of halogens on the bow of this thing just isn't an option. now we're just keeping our hopes up for some sufficiently decent weather to go out there and do it again!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in