» CLF Sponsors
Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports

Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bowfishing (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Kankakee 4-24 (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54094)

herpin1579 04-24-2008 12:43 PM

Kankakee 4-24

The gar are out in full force. Found one area of shallow slack water with sand/rock bottom and they were everywhere. Saw fish from 10in to 4or5ft. If only I could hit them. They were all rolling really fast and its almost impossible to get them with a compound. Most were within 10ft of shore with most of the big boys out further. Checked all the backwaters and was surprised to not see any buffs spawning.

Tubes77 04-24-2008 03:11 PM

Mike, I know what you mean about hitting them... Last night at 3 rivers, I had a tangle in the retriever line, so I shut off the trolling motor and was drifting trying to untangle it... As I was doing so, a gar cruised right in front of the boat and just hung under the light, no more than a couple of feet in front of the boat.. it stayed there so long, I got the knot out, reeled in the slack, nocked the arrow... and missed it sitting dead still not 2 freaking feet away :oops: :oops:

I swear I have no idea how I missed, but I did...it wasn't huge, but probably 2' or so.... sure big enough to have hit...

Strelnikov 04-24-2008 06:46 PM

Gar are tough to hit. I missed I don't know how many before I got my first one, it took a very long time. I remember once when Jon and I were on the Vermillion River the gar were thick. We were shooting like mad and didn't get even a single one.

Tubes77 04-24-2008 07:54 PM

Last week at Fish lake, there were dozens in this one area, but all around 2' or so down... Let's just say I finally just gave up even shooting at them..(and you would not wanted to have had women or children around with the language that was flying) :lol:

Ejoe 04-24-2008 08:18 PM

I never miss the little gar 8:) And Ive got witnesses!

Strelnikov 04-24-2008 09:07 PM

You don't miss the big ones either Ejoe... :-D

CARPSLAYER 04-25-2008 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tubes77
Mike, I know what you mean about hitting them..

I swear I have no idea how I missed, but I did...it wasn't huge, but probably 2' or so.... sure big enough to have hit...

Tom that is the truth. One day I am on fire the next day I can't hit the easy ones on the surface.

SpinnerMan 04-25-2008 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ejoe
I never miss the little gar 8:) And Ive got witnesses!

I saw him hit about six of those skinny little bastards in a row. It was quite impressive.

Just because the arrow didn't stick doesn't mean you missed clean. They are a small target and if you hit too high or too low and at an angle, the arrow isn't going to penetrate.

Unlike me that shot about a foot behind a 4 foot gar last year. How do you miss by that much? :oops:

Tubes77 04-25-2008 11:13 AM

Quote:

How do you miss by that much?
Easy, if you're me! :roll:

Bassin Brad 04-25-2008 12:45 PM

i dont miss..... 8:) :roll: