grass lake carp - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default grass lake carp

the carp by blarneys island are getting pretty active i went out there wednesday after my act's to blow off some steam and i must have taken atleast 30 shots and missed them all. i have no clue what im doing wrong funny thing is i got tired for 1 second and satdown as i was waching the water a huge carp atleast 28 lbs was coming right for the boat i got up slow and drew my bow back right when i was about to shoot it the carp took off. any one got any advice to why they think im missing im shooting a browning barracuda with a ams reel. or if any one has a bowfishing dvd that they could mail me for a few days that would explain what im doing wrong.
Blobingob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2008, 08:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: grass lake carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobingob
... any one got any advice to why they think im missing im shooting a browning barracuda ...
I know there are people that like the Barracuda but I got mine brand new and I've never been able to tune it to shoot bowfishing arrows consistently. They fly all over the place. Have you tried shooting it at a target at 10-15 yards, and does it hit consistently? I bet it doesn't (mine sure doesn't). And if it won't group consistently at 10 yards it's sure not going to perform well in the field where you have to get a quick shot off at a moving fish.

Oniedas on the other hand are easy to tune and just naturally seem to shoot bowfishing arrows like darts with very little tuning required. The Barracuda is way too short a bow to be a good fingers shooter.

Other than the Osprey the best of the Oneidas for bowfishing are the old H250s with 40% letoff. You should be able to get an H250 in good shape for half the cost of a new Barracuda.

The great thing about the Oneidas is the lever action of the outboard limbs which draws the limb tips way back to decrease the angle of the string at the nocking point. In addition the Oneidas are considerably longer than the Barracuda.
Strelnikov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2008, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Check your rest and make sure you arrow is centered. You should check out that bay on the other side of the grass lake bridge just after the port of blarneys. Best spot for spawning fish on the whole chain in my opinion. PM me if you want a few other spots close by that have more variety of fish such as dogfish, gar, quillback, and some MASSIVE carp.
herpin1579 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

There can be a number of reasons why. What kind of arrows are you shooting? They might need to be tuned for that particular bow. Are you shooting bare handed or with gloves or tab? Bare hands with barracuda since it such a short bow could be making you torque the string. Can you tell if you are missing left or right or up or down? I remember the first night I went out. I must have shot a hundred times or more at fish that were surfacing over at lasalle. My wife at the time thought I was just that bad. The next nioght I shot everything I shot at. The best thing you can do is take a nerf football or a 2 liter bottle and tie it to a rock or weight and put it a couple of feet from shore. Shoot at it from different angles and depths and learn what works for you. I usually shoot at plants in the water to see if I am on or not.

Team Piece of Carp
Team Bowlite Pro Staff
CARPSLAYER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

i may have figured out what im doing wrong im using one of those 3 finger leather gloves and i was only using my pointer finger and my middle finger now im using all 3. i went out into my backyard and tossed out a 2 liter bottle i hit it 2 out of 10 times with my pointer/middle and when i went to using all three fingers i must have hit it 8 out of 10 times. but this sunday im going out to grass lake again ill probably do that nerfball and a weight idea to see if maybe the water was also a problem.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

i do have a pool but i dont think my parents will let me shoot arrows off into it
Old 04-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

I used a leather archery glove the first year and did great with it. The glove only lasted that year so I went and bought mechanix gloves and they work awesome. I shoot better with gloves than with bare hands. Also it saves your fingers from going raw when shooting a lot. When you try the nerf ball test your up and down control. You will learn where to aim for different depths. Using only two fingers would make you torque the string throwing off your shots. You should be able to start killing them.

Team Piece of Carp
Team Bowlite Pro Staff
CARPSLAYER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

so was i right i should have used 3 all along and most of the missing was because of 2
Old 04-25-2008, 11:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

oh yeah i forgot has any one had any trouble with trolling motors scaring away the carp because i got a 14 foot john boat and a 30 lb thrust minkota electric trolling motor and it seems that even if i have it on as low as it can go there gone before i even see them
Old 04-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sometimes fish just spook and there is nothing you can do about it. Make sure you arent making any noise in the boat. Also running the boat over mud, weeds, logs, ect it will scare fish.
herpin1579 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in