Carlyle Lake - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Carlyle Lake

Anybody here ever bowfish Carlyle Lake. My buddy and I are thinking of taking a trip down there next week. I was wondering if you can bowfish the spillway? Anybody know? We are wanting to see if we could see some silvers or some bighead. That is really what we are going for. So we would have to either be at the spillway or on down the Kaskaskia River. So does anybody know of good spots at the spillway or the river for silvers or bighead?

Thanks,

Lowell H.
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2008, 06:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

I was born at Carlyle. Lived there for the first 21 years of my life. You used to be able to bowfish around the spillway, but that has been years ago, I'm not sure now. Down from the spillway, around the rt 50 bridge, there is a creek, that is called the "old river bed", that is where I shot my first fish, and that is where you would probably find the bighead. That is also home to some big bowfin. My biggest there went 17 pounds. That should be pretty good this time of year. Behind the baseball diamond, and city park, ( about 1/4 mi south of the spillway), is a slough that holds some fish. On the lake side, check in on the "Boulder Flats". It is back a little ways, but it has a parking lot and is easily accessible for waders. Really, if you have a boat, with the lake being high, any spot whould hold carp. The lake mainly slowly angles down, with shallows everywhere, But I have found the east side of the lake as the most productive during the spawn. When are you going, maybe I can make a trip down and check it out for you in the near future. If uyou want any more info, get my email address from ejoe. Good Luck.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks a lot! I may call the Corps or DNR to make sure that its ok just to be safe. Thanks a bunch for the info on the creek. I will check that out. I would really like to get a silver and a bowfin and I would be happy. Trying new species on this trip. Plus the occasional carp/buff/gar. I would like to bring my boat down but it is getting repaired right now. Had troubles with it. I am definitely gonna bring my hip waders to do some wading. I think I may try to stay down there for 2 days. I will have to find a fish cleaning station somewhere probably. I think I am gonna go around Wednesday. Thanks again!
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2008, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

They have fish cleaning stations by the spillway. Running water and everything. all you need is the fish. Should see a lot of big gar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in