I'm new to bowfishing...where do you go? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I'm new to bowfishing...where do you go?

I know some guys go at night on the Des Plaines River or the Illinois River, but where do you go to launch...public launches are closed by 10 pm.

I have been staying local...I wade the Fox R. I plan to go in the a.m. tomorrow.

I would prefer taking out my boat but I don't know where to go. I know the Illinois is good but I don't have a fishing partner...it helps when you have someone run the motor. I have been on the Illinois in the afternoon when boat traffic is bad...what about the a.m. Are the commons more visable in the water in the a.m. along shore with less water turbidity caused by the boat traffic?
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

des plains river we lunch by big basin thast open 24/7.its a duck hunting lunch so its alwasy open.u can also lunch at big bason idk how late that is open till.illinios i have no clue where to lunch.good luck out there
bowfisher101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

You didn't say how big your boat is. I live in Plainfield and have an 18' Bass Tracker and an old beat up 14' jon boat. I mostly use the big boat locally on the Illinois and Vermillion Rivers out of Starved Rock, the Kankakee River at the Des Plaines Conservation Area public boat launch, and the Des Plaines River at the Three Rivers Marina boat launch ($10 launch fee).

I use the jon boat on the flats at the mouth of the DuPage River (there is a gravel ramp on the Frontage Road near Channahon - take the Bluff Road exit on I-55 and turn left onto the Frontage Road heading south on the west side of I-55), on the backwaters of the Kankakee River just south of Blodgett Road and east of the motocross track, and on the backwaters of the Des Plaines River north of Blodgett Road (putting in at Three Rivers Marina). A friend and his son canoed the DuPage River between Plainfield and Channahon and saw lots of big commons and grass carp. I have never bowfished this part of the DuPage River before but I would put in at the boat launch on the south side of 135th St in Plainfield. I have bowfished the Fox River putting in at the public launch in Silver Springs State Park west of Yorkville.

Most of the public launches have set hours but at the Frontage Road gravel launch and the 135th St launch there are no restrictions that I know of. The Three Rivers Marina launch is private, Ejoe knows them and makes arrangements to launch there pretty much whenever he wants. I would PM him for more info about Three Rivers.
Strelnikov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2008, 04:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks a bunch! I have a small jon boat...14 feet that would work great on the flats. I haven't gone to silver springs which could be a great option for me. Also the DuPage sounds promising.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

If you go to Silver Springs, go downstream and just past the plano bridge on your right you will see a creek. There always are some carp in the mouth of it, and in it you can find some real good quillback suckers. Be REAL careful what you shoot at though, there are some big musky that hang around there too. They are long like a gar, so dont make the mistake. Pretty hard to mix them up though as the musky is much fatter than gar.
Also, work the main rivers banks slowly paying alot of attention to any debris piles. The carp really like them. The river itself is real muddy due to carp feeding heavily. I remember being on a boat out there and seeing a huge mud plume coming down river. I thought it was a boat motor that hit bottom it was so thick. But nope, there were 6 carp feeding in the mud. Really demonstrated how these fish damage the water. If 6 did this imagine what the thousands in there do daily.
DCA is a great place for a boat your size to, especially in the spring!
Ejoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in