More Info On Ill. Records Program And More! - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default More Info On Ill. Records Program And More!

As we have posted before, after conversations between the Bowfishing Assoc. of Illinois and IDNR Director Miller, Illinois will have its first ever official state bowfishing records program this year and from now on.

Today we had a several hour meeting with DNR officials and several new programs in addition to the records program will be set in place for bowfishing.

First, the bowfishing records program will soon be hosted on the www.ifishillinois.org site. There will be a press release and articles on it in the Outdoor Illinois publication. If you click on the link you will see how the rod/reel records program works. In a couple weeks there will be a section just like that for bowfishing where anyone who bowfishes in Illinois can download the forms.

But even better a fish citation program will also be started along with a master bowfisher program. The fish citation program will be very similar to the BAA program where a list of minimum weights will be posted and any fish for that species that meets or exceeds the minimum will be awarded a citation. The citations will be downloadable off the site.

In addition, if a bowfisherman/woman harvests certain groups of species they will be awarded special citations. If they get all the species they will be awarded the Master Bowfisherman/woman citation.

Additional educational information about bowfishing and the fish we hunt will also be found on the site.

We are very happy about all these additional programs just for those who love to bowfish in the state of Illinois and hope everyone enjoys them!
Ejoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Forgot to add that we also discussed the certified for trade wording on the scales used for records. The DNR will only require a certified scale to be used. Also, we are considering simply sending several pictures of the fish in with the record application rather than bringing the fish to a biologist in person. This should make it easier for someone to take part in the program.

The DNR is very excited about these new bowfishing records/citation programs and are going to be taking a more active roll in running them then first discussed.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Again, good job on getting the ball rolling Ed, but I do have one question. I concerns the minimum weights for the citation fish. Are they going to be figured for the average size found in Illinois or national average? What I mean is in the BAA the minimum weight bowfin is 10 pounds, heck, that's a state record in Il. The min. for buff and carp is 25. In my 40 years of bowfishin, I have only been in on 2 buffs bigger than that and no carp that big. Am I talking in circles or do I make sense. If not, give me a call and I will try it over the phone. Thanks
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2010, 03:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man
Again, good job on getting the ball rolling Ed, but I do have one question. I concerns the minimum weights for the citation fish. Are they going to be figured for the average size found in Illinois or national average? What I mean is in the BAA the minimum weight bowfin is 10 pounds, heck, that's a state record in Il. The min. for buff and carp is 25. In my 40 years of bowfishin, I have only been in on 2 buffs bigger than that and no carp that big. Am I talking in circles or do I make sense. If not, give me a call and I will try it over the phone. Thanks
Good point Jerry. These will be average size for all of Illinois. I know, Ive talked with Mark from the BAA recently concerning the size of some of the fish on their citation list and they should be changing some of those weights. Illinois will be much more realistic. The DNR wants to make this citation program something many people can be involved in.

One more thing I forgot to mention. In order to avoid a rush of record applications right off the bat, a minimum weight for the first record of each species will be listed for it in the records. Say 20lbs for a common and buffalo, ect.....
Old 03-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

That is good news, let's just hope somebody doesn't shoot the fish of a lifetime for the first record, like a 16 pound bowfin or a 30 pound buff.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here is the the link to the fishing award certicicate at the site. The bowfishing certificates will be the same except it will have a gar or carp where the bass is and be for bowfishing. You will just click on the lines and fill in the details....Pretty cool!

http://www.ifishillinois.org/awards/img ... g_fish.pdf
Old 03-16-2010, 10:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Been working on the records site with the DNR the past few days. Its not open yet but its looking great! Should have it ready by late this month!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in