Native Watercraft - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2011, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Native Watercraft

Was wondering if anyone here has one of these boats and your thoughts on them. I'm specifically looking at the Ultimate 14.5 Tandem Angler. http://www.nativewatercraft.com/boat.cfm?id=11 Seems as though it could fill several needs all in one craft. Thanks in advance.

Bob P.
Bob P. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Native Watercraft

That looks like a pretty nice rig. If you do grab one I would love to hear your thoughts after fishing with one. I am goiog to look at getting a small water craft in the next year or so for the waters I fish that my Lund won't work on.
Slypike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Those Native fishing yaks are awesome. The seats are more like lawn chairs than a traditional kayak seat, and offer way better ventilation on your back than a traditional kayak. Very comfortable, but not at all suited for rolling over or whitewater use, but I'm doubting if that is your intended use. It is also cool that it comes with a built in anchor trolley, but dont let that be the deciding factor as they are very easy to add, and cheap. 450lbs is a good capacity as well, but would would prolly want to add another pair of Scotty rod holders if you plan on two person use You could get a cheaper yak that would do the same job, but the but that's like the Land Rover of kayaks. I would be concerned about the weight if you plan on doing any portages alone.
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've got the 12 and absolutely love it. The seat is great, and the amount of room available for stuff is very impressive. Mine is a few years old, and has a drop down skeg which helps a bit with tracking. I almost never use it though, as I forget to raise it when heading to shore! Tracks very well either way. It is a bit slower than some other yaks I have used with the hull design. Not a big deal with me though as I fish smaller bodies of water where I can be anywhere in a 10 - 15 minute paddle anyhow. It is incredibly stable. Haven't tried to do the old fat guy stand-up in it, but I bet I could! I don't mount a bunch of stuff. Have a portable finder that I just sit between my legs and have great viewing. It's very easy to lay a few rods in front of you for easy access, even though I have a scotty mounted. Overall I'm very glad I made the decision. Recently saw a couple on Craigs list (within the last week). I got mine off of Craigs list, but checked other cities and found a good deal in Kalamazoo. Guy met me half way, and I picked it up for $500.00.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Natives are basically heavy canoes. Look at other options before you buy.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Blu, You been in one and fished from it?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Fished from one. The seat is really nice. It doesn't track very well, but is adequate. I'd get a yak sot or a nice light canoe. This craft is somewhere between the two.
Choupiquer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in