ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Dead and Deader Oswego 9/15 & 16

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
Went out on Saturday with great expectations hoping to see if some 20 # leader would help me find out what had cut my line. One good hit in the same pool as before, but no hookup :cry: A lot of casting an one 12" small mouth. The air had a real dead feel to it. Not many jumping.

Lots of people out. Two waders who were pretty much glued under the bridge. Saw them catching small smallies. Later two very young guys entered the fray, one with michigan waders. They also got some small ones.

Next day I came back after the rain and temperature drop. Went with my neoprene waders since it was so darm cold. The river was up, but the fish sure were not. Almost no jumping fish. Very few bites, none landed.

A fly fisherman was down stream - tried to work my way down there, but since I was going slow since I don't know the bottom too well there, and casting on the way, he was left before I got to where he was.

Even my favorite bait - an orange rapalla - did nothing. That has been a winner since the Disney movie that had all the kids letting their pet fish go to get back to the sea. :D

Oh well, it'll get good again.

Best regards,

John

See less See more
#4 ·
Oswego fishing spot

Sidster:

Route 34 crosses over the Fox. As you go South and it swings left over the river, on the right is a small city park with parking. On the left is a road that leads to a private parking lot that has a sign saying if fisherman use it to please clean up. I usually fish from the city park. There is a small creek coming in to the river at the far side of the park from 34, with an island opposite it. I fish downstream of it near the opposite shore where there is a stone wall and a deep pool.

I do best in the pool, but since I cast all around, even when I am wading out to the pool, I find that you can be surprised anywhere.

I thought the fly fisherman had to be you on Sunday - first time I have seen anyone going after them with flies on the Fox. He was woking on the downstream side of the bridge, above some riffles and a pool and in the riffles.

Drew a map as a jpg image, but cannot figure out how to include it in the post. I can email it to you if you want.

Best regards,

John

G
#5 ·
I confess to being the fly guy. Fished the bridge and the rip-rap along the west bank all the way down to the gravel bar. Picked up a few under the bridge, nothin' along the bank. I saw a gentleman fishing downstream of the bridge pull in one and long release another. Couldn't tell if they were carp or bass. He was fishing what I assumed to be minnows under a bobber.

Usually, the fly is effective when the water is low and clear, but Sunday the water was quite cloudy. BTW, that gravel bar downstream of the bridge is loaded with carp. When the water clears, you can sight cast to them usig #16 - #12 nymphs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.