Walleye rod? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Walleye rod?

Was looking at a Dan Gapen Wilderness rod. Actually talked with him and he showed me how sensitive the rod was. I was impressed. Have also been hearing about a rod from up north by Limit Creek called the Smoothie. Has any body tried ether rod and what did you think. Will be used mostly for jigging and small shallow cranks. Gapen rod med/light 7', the smoothie 6'9' med/light.
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Walleye rod?

Ever consider a custom built?

I just wrapped a jig/pitching rod for a guy built on a Hydra blank that was the lightest most sensitive rod I have ever put my hands on. 7'3" 1.2 oz blank weight Medium Heavy fast action. While I was aligning the guides a mosquito was buzzing around near the tip so I gave the rod a flick and when the tip hit the mosquito it felt like I had connected on a slow pitch softball and hit it over the fence.

When the rod was fully built it weighed right around the 2 oz. mark and balanced perfectly with a Revo Premier.

Hydra overs a full line of blank specifications and I can build one out to just about any style you can imagine for less than 2 tanks of gas.

Show your support for our returning veterans and the families of my fallen brothers.
SpecialEd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

I don't know anything about those rods but I just picked cabelas brandes jigging rod with a carbon fiber handle. Haven't gotten to use it yet, but looks promising.
huntnfish79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

I held the rod handle of the Gapen rod. Mr Gapen ran his finger prints over the tip of the rod and you could feel everyone of them very clearly. I was impressed. As for the Limit creek smoothie i have been checking walleye boards all over the internet and they seem to have a very loyal following. by former St Croix owners. I just want to know if anybody has used ether rod. As i have bought expensive rods in the past. They get dropped over board, broken, then you are out $150 or way more not counting the reel. Then you have to stop yourself from doing any real damage to the perpetrator. I have found some cheaper rods over the years that preform like the big buck ones. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFCreel
Have also been hearing about a rod from up north by Limit Creek called the Smoothie. Has any body tried ether rod and what did you think. Will be used mostly for jigging and small shallow cranks. Gapen rod med/light 7', the smoothie 6'9' med/light.
I have never tried the Gapen rod, but I have used the Limit Creek LCS69MLF "Smoothie" on many fishing trip. It is a killer walleye rod for livebait rigging, jigging vertical and dragging, I also cast 1/8 ounce jigs with it. Very sensitive rod with lots of backbone for a medium light. It also is good on taking crappies off of rock piles when they bite ever so lightly, which is nice as I do like a versatile rod. This rod is under 90.00

Have fun,
Smoothwaters
Smoothwaters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

This winter I picked up a 7' Mojo Bass St. Croix MH and a 7'2 Shimano Clarus MH both rods are worm & jig series. Took them to AR in march and had a blast catching walleye and striper. We fished with jigs, swimbaits, live bait, Arigs, jerkbaits ect. Both rods were great in my opinion and $89 a piece.
MWFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Go with with St Croix Eyecon ECS63MLXF Vertical Jig 6'3" ML X-Fast! I have 2 and for 100 bucks it's a very good stick for vertical jigging!
Bossman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman
Go with with St Croix Eyecon ECS63MLXF Vertical Jig 6'3" ML X-Fast! I have 2 and for 100 bucks it's a very good stick for vertical jigging!
The Eyecons are nice, too bad they used SCII graphite for them. They are basically just Premier rods with a nicer reel seat.

The vertical jigging rods I build are 6'6" to 6'10" ML Fast to X-Fast Batson Rx6 or Rx7 blank with Fuji seat/cork/micro guides.

Base model (comparable to the Avid series) will run $140ish, tricked out (comparable to the Legend Elite series) for $220 or more. Lifetime warranty just like St. Croix.

Show your support for our returning veterans and the families of my fallen brothers.
SpecialEd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Well I picked up the Gapen rod. Some of my friends picked up one or two also. So far we all love them. The feel is incredible. Whether jigging or casting cranks. Plenty of back bone. Matched mine with a Shimano Sahara reel. For around $79 bucks I think I have found a pole I will buy more of. Plus they come with a guarantee that if they break because of defect you get a new one. If they break cause of you. You get one for half price.
UFCreel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in