Lake Geneva 7-13 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lake Geneva 7-13

Launched at 4;15. Got to the 1st spot in 10 minutes. Water temp a hot 79 so I decided to only spend a short time in 17-20 feet of water .At 4;45 we got the 1st smallie,a nice 17 inch fish. Ten minutes later a nice solid 19 incher. Like a little football. We stayed there for about an hour and did not get another smallie.Went to spot #2 and had a small 14 "smallie on. We stayed till 9:15and left releasing4 smallies and losing one at the boat. We caught a lot of incidental rock bass, some of which were really huge. Only one blue gill. All fish were caught on a variety of baits, both live and artificial. Saw a ton of fish at 30-33' over 35-40' but they would not hit. Also saw a lot of fish at 22'-25',probably suspended gills. Looks like they were in a very defined thermocline. Water was clear but a little algae bloom going on and quite a few floating weeds from boaters tearing up the bottom. Maybe in a week or so the bluegills and pike will start.
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

The DOLLDRUMS are starting?

Seem that it might be a bit late for any concentrations of pike?

May is the KILLER month with those who have teeth.

After 8:00am ya gotta go deeeeeeeeeep inthose weeds, beyomd the 30ft. mark. With a BIG juicy sucker.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Nikster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Actually late July and August are banner months for pike at Lake Geneva. There is usually a very defined thermocline running out from Abbey harbor at about 30-35 feet. The pike are there in great numbers gorging on baitfish and bluegills.
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nice bass Big Saw. I saw a guide report last week that the pike were just getting going on the usual summertime spots.
FishinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Nice work! We've been on Delavan the past few weekends chasing walleye, time to switch gears and hit LG finally? Any of you guys ever get after walleye on LG? I am thinking of doing the night shift on Friday.
huntnfish79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Good luck on the walleyes in Lake Geneva ! In a bazillion years fishing there I have gotten one wally... By mistake. I've seen guys get them at night coming in when I go out. And there are some niiice fish. But it's a super secret limited fishery and I doubt I will ever target them with any real results. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

The best time to catch those BIG eyes is to troll before ice up

Nice report Bigsaw
Old 07-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

79 Like lyodd said, late fall. a buddy of mine is always out there in the late fall.
washhusky102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

anyone that catches them on a summer patterns are pretty tight lipped, that's for sure. No real numbers in the summer, but fish can be had. I'll post reports over the next few weeks. Been doing well on Delavan past two weekends, I guess "well" by Delavan standards is more like it.
huntnfish79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Like I said I never really targeted walleyes there. In the fall I do have good to great success with really nice smallies though. A great day is 10-12 fish with some shoulders. I love "Dem" smallies !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in