Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports - View Single Post - Using fish finders
» CLF Sponsors
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2003, 07:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
3fshys

Fishing without electronics is doable but a good quality flasher(vexilar,marcum) will tell you more than any map ever will ! Sure you can get a general layout of what a lake bottom is like,but no matter how good the map is it doesn't show you everything.Like when that school of crappies comes glidding through 15 foot down in 25 ft. of water or when the bottom changes from a soft to hard composition. There is a science to learning how to read them which is something that can only be learned with time. I can adjust my flasher to show me my 1/64 oz. jig in 30 ft. of water and it's depth in comparison to the fishes depth and how they react to a certain presentation.These are things that you can only accomplish with a flasher and practice. They give you INSTANT information that if thought about will increase your catch and understanding of a fishes behavior. LCD depthfinders are better than nothing but their ability to read as well as a quality flasher...there is no comparison. If you ever have the chance to go ice fishing spend some time walking around and find someone with one of the above named units and the things it will show you will blow you away. I do have a Vexilar FL8 SLT for sale in the classified part of the site here so...I upgrade to an FL18 which allows me to blow up the bottom 6 ft. for even greater detail.I would be willing to give the buyer an on ice demonstration and guided trip(when we have safe ice here on Bangs) or a lake of your choice up in my area (wauconda) Fred
3fshys is offline   Reply With Quote