using jigs with braided line question - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default using jigs with braided line question

So I've recently, out of nowhere, been losing a bunch of jigs on the cast. I'm no novice to using my bait caster, nor casting jigs. However I don't know if it's the filmsey rod I've been using lately, or the new leader line I got. The rod is 7' and only 1 year old. I had to sell my high end rods bc of financial problems so this one isn't graphite, and it's become a bit flimsey when casting. The new leader material is simply 12lb mono. Since this has been happening I've tried switching the knots I use, generally use an improved clinch knot. Since, I've tried using palomar knots, improved clinch knot, and a regular clinch knot.

So, is it likely it could be the rod? Could the leader line I bought have been old? Should I tie the jigs straight on to the braid? Or should I use some flourocarbon 12lb instead? Any help is appreciated.
mattolsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: using jigs with braided line question

It can't hurt to try any of the things you mentioned. Obviously whatever your doing now, isn't working properly. I would guess its the line, try a different line/leader and see what happens. Mops
mops7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

I like a little stiffer rod for jigging. With a noodlish rod by the time you feel the jig stuck it's too late. I tie right to the fireline.
huntnfish79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Unless the water is gin clear I tie direct to braid. I'll use an Albright knot to attach braid to the leader. I used to use leaders more often because it's easier to break off on a snag, but I've decided I'd rather lose the jig than the fish.

I prefer to Die on my feet than Live on my knees

Quote:
2sac is not bassalarro material.
2sac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Have you checked the condition of the rod guides and tip? Since you're using a mono leader, it could be fraying if a guide or the tip has a sharp edge.
nlbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Have you had birds nests and whatnot in your braid before? If braid gets kinked, like mono, (even tho it is more flexible, it can still kink) than this might be where your line is breaking? I know a lot of guys have braid on their rods for years at a time, but this might be something to consider.

switching leader line is not a bad idea, flouro v. mono itself should be an issue. Second on the checking of guides, look for chips if ceramic or rust if metal. What's the brand/# of the braid?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in