» CLF Sponsors
Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports

Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   Help Topics (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Line won't stay tied? (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86209)

bassboy15 04-10-2014 07:02 PM

Line won't stay tied?

Hi
I recently spooled my Penn Fierce spinning reel with 6 pound Stren mono. The line seemed fin when I put it on the reel, but the the first time I went out, my lure got lightly snagged on a log and I had what seemed like a line break. When I inspected the line, I realized that it had in fact come untied, as the line was kinked from the knot. I decided to test it tying to an eyelet and pulling. With surprisingly little force, the knot came untied everytime, unless I wrapped the line around an excessive amount of times. A few days later I went to a local pond to carp fish and took the same rod because it was the only one that was ready, even though I had reservations about the line. I used a wad of corn about a foot above a small sinker. After a few casts, the line came untied at the swivel and my hook and sinker went flying into the pond. Is this a common issue for this line, or do I have a bad batch? Is there a knot I should be using other than the standard fishermans knot?
Thanks

2sac 04-10-2014 07:13 PM

Palomar knot and spit cinched tight

CHIDJM 04-10-2014 11:15 PM

Uni knot, I use 8 turns with super lines, but 6 usually will suffice.

San diego jam also holds. I'm convinced its just a different way of tying a Uni, but I tie it on occasion.

Polamer works, but I don't like tying it. Don't like the part about passing the lure thru the loop, too difficult in windy/cold weather.

If by "Standard Fisherman's knot" you mean improved clinch knot, than, yes, that is your problem. That was the first knot developed for mono lines when they got popular after WW2, and as lines advanced towards superbraids like 832 and nanofill and powerpro, other knots where developed. Use these new knots.

Richie Frye 04-10-2014 11:28 PM

^ yup on Uni, or a variation, for braid, or floor to braid when not using swivels .
I usually go twice 'round the eye with 6 -8 wraps . 6 for larger diameter, 8 wraps for 10 lb braid or less.
Tests right up there in strength with Palomar and will not slip with what I call "The Overkill" , as described above. Has the benefit of not needing to pass a loop through a whole lure and hook/s

FishArt 04-11-2014 08:14 AM

And to add to what was already stated. Add a little spit to your line before you cinch it down to lubricate it. Otherwise, your chances of a break increase. Secondly, even though it may appear you tied the knot properly, always test it immediately afterwards by yanking on it a few times approaching the breaking point. IF the knot was defective for whatever reason, it will fail in this test vs. when a fish hits it. I'd say 1 out of 4 or 5 knots I tie breaks and I just re-do it. I can't even recall if and when I've ever had a failed knot when fighting a fish...

Superfluke 04-11-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassboy15 (Post 550233)
Hi
I recently spooled my Penn Fierce spinning reel with 6 pound Stren mono. The line seemed fin when I put it on the reel, but the the first time I went out, my lure got lightly snagged on a log and I had what seemed like a line break. When I inspected the line, I realized that it had in fact come untied, as the line was kinked from the knot. I decided to test it tying to an eyelet and pulling. With surprisingly little force, the knot came untied everytime, unless I wrapped the line around an excessive amount of times. A few days later I went to a local pond to carp fish and took the same rod because it was the only one that was ready, even though I had reservations about the line. I used a wad of corn about a foot above a small sinker. After a few casts, the line came untied at the swivel and my hook and sinker went flying into the pond. Is this a common issue for this line, or do I have a bad batch? Is there a knot I should be using other than the standard fishermans knot?
Thanks

I'ts you and your knot...out the window with the fisherman's knot...:)2

RonG 04-11-2014 03:39 PM

I have a pair of jeans and the zipper won't stay up. What should I do? It's embarrassing. I'm thinking of tying the zipper shut, but now am afraid I may use the wrong knot and be lulled into a false sense of security if the knot comes untied. Help please.

2sac 04-11-2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonG (Post 550713)
I have a pair of jeans and the zipper won't stay up. What should I do? It's embarrassing. I'm thinking of tying the zipper shut, but now am afraid I may use the wrong knot and be lulled into a false sense of security if the knot comes untied. Help please.

When in doubt, whip it out

axis_roll 04-15-2014 09:51 AM

one of the best 'How-to' web sites I found was from this site. Talks about ALL kinds of knots, with great step by step images

http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar...matedknots.com

I use the palomer on braided line. For mono, I used the Trilene knot:

http://www.animatedknots.com/trilene...matedknots.com