Uses for a baitcaster rod - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2015, 09:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Uses for a baitcaster rod

A friend of mine gave me a 6'6 Ugly Stik ML action and I'm kind of stumped for what to use it for. (He gave up fishing, sucker)

I normally panfish in lakes and ponds, do some perching from the harbors. I've never been bass fishing and don't have the capabilities to do so.

I was thinking about putting a abu garcia black max on it with some braid and then tipping it with some light line to use as a trout/salmon rod, but wouldn't even be sure if that would work really well.

Any tips for what to use it for or recommendations on a reel to put on it would be appreciated.

I hate to see a good rod (free) go to waste.
Panner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

That rod is too light for trout and salmon unless you're fishing for spring coho.

Although you say you say you don't have the capabilities for bass fishing, I would recommend if you're getting that reel to spool it as you say and pick up a few simple bass lures, such as senko type worms, small spinnerbaits or small topwaters and take it with you to play around with when you go panfishing. Otherwise you could get into walleye fishing with that combo but there aren't great opportunities around for that type of fishing.
mikeyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info Mikeyd, I was actually mistaken, it's not a ML rod it's a medium rod. Don't know if that will make it a better rod for trout/salmon.

I say that I don't really have the capabilities for Bass because I don't have a boat and also don't have the time, patience, space, wallet, etc. for one. All I know of Bass fishing is that if you don't have a boat don't bother as the chances of being able to get anything decent around here are few and far between.

When you say there aren't great opportunities around for Walleye, what do you mean?

Old 03-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panner View Post
Thanks for the info Mikeyd, I was actually mistaken, it's not a ML rod it's a medium rod. Don't know if that will make it a better rod for trout/salmon.

I say that I don't really have the capabilities for Bass because I don't have a boat and also don't have the time, patience, space, wallet, etc. for one. All I know of Bass fishing is that if you don't have a boat don't bother as the chances of being able to get anything decent around here are few and far between.

When you say there aren't great opportunities around for Walleye, what do you mean?
I have a boat but haven't been able to use it for a couple years. Me and my wife still fish from shore, there are local ponds all over the place that hold bass. not lways huge ones but still fun to catch.
You could also use it for catfish while you are pan fishing. Just throw a chunk of hot dog on it and let it sit there.
Taterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panner View Post

That's probably still a little light for trout and salmon. That's definitely too light for king salmon.

Not trying to twist your arm one way or another but I completely disagree with your statements regarding bass in the area. I don't have a boat either and found plenty great options for bass in the area. I've had many multiple big bass days (4-6 lbs.) in area ponds fishing from shore, especially in the spring and fall. Also some of the forest preserve lakes can be good too. The north pool at Busse Woods comes to mind. It's common to catch bass 14-18". Also, I'm sure there are some decent bass in the ponds you fish for panfish. The Chicago harbors are great for smallmouth bass in May and June.

The opportunities for walleye in this area are far and few between. I've had some luck in the Fox River with them and occasionally see some pulled out of the local forest preserve lakes. Even the local lakes that have walleye, your chances at catching them from shore are pretty small.
mikeyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2015, 04:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

6"6" M Ugly Stik is begging for a good spincast reel... Daiwa, Johnson and Zebco all make good ones if you stay away from bargain basement WALMART junk... 6-8lb mono or 10-12lb Fireline and you can fish for almost anything/anywhere... Your rod was free... Splurge on a decent reel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8fSwzRzKGg

Last edited by ja-knee-sea; 03-03-2015 at 05:01 PM.
ja-knee-sea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2015, 02:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

if you've never used a baitcast reel, start with a spincast , if you have some river access (ponds work also) put some 10# mono on it (they usually come with line but I would replace with fresh) and use it for topwater baits..if you are familiar with bait casters, use 10# Power Pro and use it for same..Medium Ugly Sticks are usually more on the Med. Light side, that would be perfect for topwater applications..Rebel Pop-R's, walk the dog type baits, 1/8 oz. strike king buzzbaits are smallie killers in the rivers...Good Luck !!
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Funny enough I think that's what was on the real in the first place. But it was a P.O.S spincast and it was falling apart when he gave it to me which is what made me thing I'd be able to use it for a baitcast real.

Any suggestions on a good spincast that I could put on this JKS?

Well I guess against my instinct I may just have a decent little bass rod. If I build it they will bite right?
Old 03-06-2015, 09:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Stop ! An ugly stick for trout and salmon ??? Catfish for sure. Get an 8-9 foot Falcon or St Croix and a Pflueger Presidential spinning reel with 6 -8 lb test and you'll be good to go for 99.9 % of anything in Lake Mich...including Kings.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Abu Garcia makes a pretty good Spincasting reel. Better than the Zebco's IMO.
`..`..`. ><(((((((((>
SNick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in