Need advise on campgrounds for seasonal trailers - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to walleyeman
Default Need advise on campgrounds for seasonal trailers

Ok guys i need some advise. I am in the beginning stages of looking for campgrounds and a travel trailer and thought I would get some advice here.

I am looking for a 28-32 foot travel trailer. Are there brands of travel trailers that i should stay away from? What should I look for when buying used, any problems that are common.

I would like to find a campground within 2 hours of Kankakee maybe along the Illinois River. Must have access to water not just small ponds I have a 20ft ranger and would prefer bigger water or river. Perfect world would be something with a marina that i could leave the boat in. Would be nice to get up early morning fish a couple hours come back eat breakfast with the wife take her out for a couple hours come in do whatever throughout the afternoon and go back out late afternoon all without pulling the boat every time. Again this would be perfect world.

Any suggestion would be great we used to tent camp many many years ago and now with the kids grown it time to get out and enjoy ourselves. Thought this would be a great way to do that and still get my fishing time that I have been looking forward to.
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Need advise on campgrounds for seasonal trailers

I have had 2; a 30' Shasta and a 30' Itasca. They seemed pretty much even, the Itasca was probably a bit better-made and stouter. Make sure the fundamentals work, like the AC, stove, furnace, etc. Take no chances with the heavy systems, it's really friggin' expensive to replace some of that stuff. Pay special attention to the water heater, they cause more problems than any other system. If it doesn't have leaks, you just haven't found them yet.

Look for the most recent roof you can find, Sno-Cote is definitely a good re-roof though if it needed to be done, which isn't that uncommon on used trailers. They flex and sway, which will necessarily open up a seam or two eventually. Avoid crappy silver-asphalt patches.

and if you like continuous hot water, get a Tiny Titan... http://www.americanwaterheater.com/prod ... /lpe70.pdf (not terribly expensive) and set it to low, feeding pre-heated water into your gas heater. It cuts down on the propane use, and will recover fast enough for a 20-min shower or more when your trailer is plugged into campground power. I did it in mine, it was like gold.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info great information to know
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

something I forgot is the chassis. Be really sure of tire and wheel bearing maintenance before hitting the road with anything other than new. If you have the means, upgrade the mechanicals that make it mobile. In the end, it's cheap insurance. Multiple spares is also cheap insurance. Be sure the hitch and safety chains are up to par as well. There are some fascinating new braking-sync products out there too, if that is of interest.

I know a few things about this company, on a personal level. You would call me a liar about my experiences with them, I promise you. The personal life of the owner is worthy of a cable show. That being said, they do make their products in the USA and they make a solid product, most of the time. http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/b ... or_me.html
Old 08-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Anyone camp at shelbyville lake? Looks like there is only one campground right on the water with a Marina. Has anyone stayed at Sullivan Marina and Campground before?
Old 08-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyeman
Anyone camp at shelbyville lake? Looks like there is only one campground right on the water with a Marina. Has anyone stayed at Sullivan Marina and Campground before?
I have camped there once but it was years ago.
We had a good experience overall camping and it was nice to be so close to a launch.
The fishing was just so-so though for us.
Taterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well I bought one a little earlier than I had planned but couldnt pass up a good deal. I bought a 33 ft 2006 Keystone Hornet with built on covered deck down on Clinton Lake. Campground doest have a marina or docks but there is a cove where everyone beaches the boats so I will make that work. Had to give in on the no docks to save some driving time to campgrounds that did have docks and still have the type of fishing I wanted. Didnt think I was being that picky on what I wanted but you would be surprised there are just not alot of options within 2-3 hours of me. Looking forward to becoming weekend campers just thought it would be next year before it happened. So if any of you have any tips on fishing Clinton Lake send them my way as I have never fished it before. Mostly walleye fishing is what I will be doing but all tips are welcome.

Thanks for all the tips on trailers from everyone made it a little easier knowing what to look for.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul S

Just curious- What is the season at that campground? I know people fish it later and earlier since it is a cooling lake.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

April thru October but yes I have read about decent walleye fishing in November & December

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in