Family fishing trip this summer suggestions - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Family fishing trip this summer suggestions

Im looking to take my family on a long weekend getaway to Wisconsin this summer. I would love some suggestions on where to go that is not over a four hour drive and a lake that is full of bluegill or sunfish. I have young children and I want them to experience fishing. I have my own boat. And again my biggest concern is being able to have my children catch several fish. Thanks in advance.
Honest Mistake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Family fishing trip this summer suggestions

Check out the La Crosse area in southwest WI. I'm thinking of Lake Onalaska near the confluence of the Wisconsin and Mississippi rivers. If the lake is slow, there are the 2 rivers with plenty of backwater areas to fish.
nlbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Marinette or Crivitz area. Your choice of the Big Pond, Peshtigo River, Menomonee River, Lake Noquebay, and a ton of other lakes and flowages. Don't know how old the kids are but there is also white water rafting on the Peshtigo and Menomonee.

I prefer to Die on my feet than Live on my knees

Quote:
2sac is not bassalarro material.
2sac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Check out the Lake Pepin area in se minnesota (camp lacupolis). I do a 2 week trip every June and load up on monster gills in the backwaters while they spawn. If this is too far, look at Lake wisconsin or Winnebego (look up Mr. Bluegill) guide on Winnebego. Guide a trip 1/2 day for gills and pound them the next few days with the kids. I guide a trip or 2 on Lake Pepin while I am on vacation. There is a big difference between catching gills and bulls. My favorite to catch and eat!
The Dr.
dr of fishingology is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Richardson Lake in the south end of the Nicolette. You can get there in 4 hours, it's got a Nat Forest campground (not sure you're camping), boat ramp, and the fishing is good. Plenty of panfish, perch, bass and northern. Really beautiful place.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Lake Pepin is worth the trip. My family has been going there several times a year since the 1950's but we stay on the Wisconsin side directly in Pepin. You can either camp at the local campground or stay at a hotel (like the Great River Amish Inn small 6 roomer but the lady that runs the place is awsesome and there is great breakfast next door at Two Old Guys restaurant). The lake is the largest lake of the Mississippi at I think 24,000 acres if I recall correctly at pool 4 of the dams. Plus you have alot and I mean alot of back waters that you can fish around there as well for the gills and even pull other fish from there.

There is plenty of other family stuff to do within a half hour drive of there as well, like taking the drive to Redwing and seeing the small town there (Redwing boot museum and factory outlet, Redwing Pottery museum and store) and lots of small towns along the way. Plus you got tons of hiking up tht way. You can cross over the river to Minnestosa to Lake City area and go to Frontenac (may be spelled wrong) as we did Memorial Day weekend and go hiking with the family. You will see tons of eagles and other birds all over the area up there as well. Defiently worth the 5 hour drive (from Buffalo Grove) that's what it takes.

As far as the fishing you can count on walleye, sauger, pike, crappie, smallies, large mouths, rock bass, catfish of a few varieties, strippers, wite bass, and alot others as they say there are 84 varities of fish up there. Check out croixsippi.com it is a site for a guide up there but he also puts out a weekly fishing (mainly walleye report) for the Pepin / St. Croix River area.
Derek

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in