What would you do? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What would you do?

Say you have a piece of private property you hunt, but do not reside there. You realize you have trespassers on atv's and you post the property. This continues, but never when you are there.

I even know who it is but am hesitant to confront them for fear treestands may be sabotashed. So far they have left my stuff alone , but I think they are running the deer off our property? Can't prove much yet.

It's coming down to calling the authorities I guess? The game cameras were an idea, however those have been taken in the past!

Anyone else ever dealt with these type of scum sucking bottom feeders?

What would you do?
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

How open is this piece of property? Is it trails they drive on? If so you may put some barricades up to block entrances. Make them impassable (not a ramp or jump for them).

If you think you know who it is perhaps they are a neighbor to the property. You can hint around by asking them to keep an eye out for persons on your property because you want to catch them so you can call authorities.

I myself would confront them but nicely and explain what the problem is for you. Don't forget if they get hurt out there they might sue you.
seuss79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

A few strategically placed boards with some nails. placed under the turf on paths they use.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lt

Default Trespass Agreement

I suggest you contact local law enforcement and inquire about a trespass agreement. Basically it gives law enforcement the right to enter onto your property to take enforcement on trespassers. You sign the agreement and they make arrests. Signage helps becuase in order to trespass, or at least arrest a trespasser, they must have received notice prior to entry that the entry was forbidden. In the case of DNR, they write the citations for trepassing because it is prima facie evidence that a person is trespassing without a letter from the property owner. If they are caught and warned, their name should go on a list to provide proof that they have been warned by law enforcement on a previous occasion. Where I work, we have these agreements and they are a great tool to assist in trespassing issues. We also can and do tow vehicles associated with trespassers. Just a thought!
Lt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Joe, reading my mind now, aren't you?

I hate to put anything out that can hurt anyone. Maybe the cameras again? Plus I already have some pics, from the last two seasons! Video actually!

We'll see what the new sign in the way means to them, then it's the sheriff! Place is clearly posted!
Old 07-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Drakebuster

I've heard in the past of people doing crap like that, hurting themselves on your property (4 wheeler flips over) then suing you! Even though they are tresspassing. I'd say get the sherrif involved assap.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey, Jim. I was thinking about the nail in the tire thing as well, but that could have negative consequences on your stands or property as a whole...let alone the threat of a lawsuit.

If you think that it is kids doing it, you could notify their parents.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Parents are as bad as the kids, maybe worse. Why do you think the kids have no respect? Because the parents don't.

I sure hope they taught the kids about the fact that people on farms put up barbed wire fences?
Old 07-30-2008, 11:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have had this problem in the past myself. Except the land I hunt is also the land I ride my ATVs on in the non hunting season.
I tried the law but the only time they stopped by was when I was there. The best solution I have found were trees.
I found the paths they were taking into the property and drug old dead trees across them. Of course they made new paths and I drug trees across them as well.
Eventually they got tired of finding new ways to access my trails and property and moved on.
I stop riding my trails 2 weeks before bow season, and start up again the day its done or as soon as our tags are filled. The deer use my trails as a highway all year though! I am in lasalle county and we have about 300 acres. Every single deer I have shot there was on a ATV trail!
basscatsncarp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in