place to use air rifle - Page 2 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aekhoff View Post
you could probably shoot at the Des Plaines conservation area... they have various target ranges available.
Not that I know of. I know they have two clay shotgun ranges/shotgun only and hand throwing only. And I know they have a small bow target course. But, I'm pretty darn certain you're not allowed to shoot anything else there.

Blu is correct. Personally, if it was a little "plinking" BB gun, I too would set up a small target in my basement. But, if over a certain FPS, the you DO need a FOID card. I wouldn't be shooting these in my basement. Call some of the gun ranges. I know Rinks in Lockport you're allowed to shoot most anything. MegaSports is handguns only I believe and you have to be at least 18.

Honestly, your best bet would be to either know somebody who knows somebody or perhaps drive a little ways out of the city from where you're at and knock on a few farmers doors. And maybe toss them a few bucks for the privilege to shoot on their land. Make sure you explain it's just a BB gun though otherwise you're probably spinning your wheels...
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by melrobinson View Post
I bought an air rifle about a year ago for target shooting. My town bans shooting an air rifle within city limits and I'm having a heck of a time finding a place to use it.

Anybody got any suggestions?

I'm in the northwest suburbs but am willing to drive a ways.

Mel
Do you have a basement (or attic, or any inside unobstructed runway) ? If so it would be very easy to construct a bullet trap.
If the goal is becoming a better shot (target shooting) and you have any inside range area at all, this is your most effective solution.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Exclamation Illinois lows

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman79 View Post
i know this is a dumb ? but do u need a firearm card to buy a pellet gun. i am strictly into archery but have a nephew who is is 20 and was gonna get him one for his bday.
According to Illinois regulations you don't need FOID for air rifles of any velocity which caliber is .177 or any other air rifle with velocity under 700 fps.
Nosyara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 04:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosyara View Post
According to Illinois regulations you don't need FOID for air rifles of any velocity which caliber is .177 or any other air rifle with velocity under 700 fps.
To clarify, at the time of the original post (2008 - lol!) in Illinois you needed a FOID card if the gun went over 700 FPS regardless of the caliber size. In 2012 I believe they added to the 700 FPS rule that anything under .18 you do not need a FOID card now. So, in 2018 I believe most pellet guns (.177) are now legal and all BB guns are. As long as it's under .180....
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in