how not to hunt - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2008, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default how not to hunt

Was watching "Verses" TV this morning, a show called Fair Game. What a disgusting "hunt " they had in Texas. The guys drove around in a suburban and shot the deer out of the window at a couple hundred yards. I know it's legal in some parts of the country, but why ? How can a person actually fell good about that ? They were high fiving and talked about a good hunt, etc. What a joke. And what made more of a joke, they all wore camo. Bunch of losers...
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Screw texas

It has gotten to the point that I won't even waste my time watching any shows filmed in Texas. How hard is it to watch a sondero that has a feeder, watering hole and corn spread by the vehicle that drove you to your spot. Thats not any kind of hunting I'm interested in. Maybee I'm just partial to the the land of the giants. Pinks
Pinks 99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2008, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

I love watching outdoor shows, but I too cannot sit through a Texas hunt.
Just driving around in a truck with an elevated blind in the bed? Driving from feeder to feeder until you see a shooter, then smoking it with a rifle from the bed of the truck??

Id rather watch "Gold Fever".
Yak Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Re: how not to hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost
Bunch of losers...
you got this right!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Catchy

[quote="Yak Man"Id rather watch "Gold Fever".[/quote]

That's because it has such a catchy theme song...

Gold, gold, gold, gold, fee, fee, fee, fee, ver, ver, ver, ver.
Fish/n/thusiast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Different Strokes For Different Folks.

If its an accepted practise in that neck of the woods, well it's O.K..

What about the bow hunter, in a tree & ambushing/bushwacking a poor deer, with BIG BROWN eyes? Bambi's Mommy or Daddy?

Setting up a ambush on a known deer run & bushwackin them as they are going about their business, with slugs. Rifle's 200yds., away? 300yds. away?

Most of that scrub Country won't support a stand so they have to build one. So they improvise & in a rig that is high enough to overlook the area, lets call it a moving tree stand.

What would you do, if you lived in that part of the world? Give up hunting? Or try to instill your methods of hunting? They'd be giggling about the Yankee not knowing how to deer hunt.

I've hunted in tree stands, ground blinds, behind rocks, mine don't move is the only difference. I've got 2 deer stands ready & waiting for me 300yds. from my back door. Yes when Bambi's Father walks by I'm a gonna bushwak-it, I hope?

Nope I see nothing wrong in what those folks down in Texas are doing. If'n I was down there I'd be doing the same thing.....
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Nikster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Sticky

I don't know dude, driving around in a car hunting is pretty weak. It's like hunting polar bear from a helicopter.
Sticky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2008, 03:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have never been argumentive on this site( at least I do not think i have been ) but I have to go with nikster on this one.

Why is it any worse to kill a deer from the bed of the truck at a couple of hundred yards than it is to kill a deer from a treestand with a slug from 100 yards away? you are still killing the deer. Hopefully the etichal part comes in that they do not waste the meat and did not kill the deer for the sake of killing.

JMO, but why is it better, or more ethical, to outsmart a deer by covering your scent and kill it 20 yards away with a bow, rather than kill it from the truck of the bed a couple of hundred yards away? Bottom line is that you are still killing the deer, correct?

do not get me wrong, I most likely would not enjoy a hunt like that myself (cant say I definately would not until i tried it). I like the idea of stalking the prey, and the feel of the shot from 20 yards with the bow without the deer noticing me. But do I think there is a difference, or that what I am doing is more ethical, or better....no way. the deer still dies

The other issue brought up is the feeders. When you set up your treestand by a cornfield, or a beanfied, or a pond, are you not doing the same thing, hunting deer by food and drink? I know that it is illegal in illinois to bait deer, but I believe that was enacted because of the chronic wasting disease and to help prevent spreading that, not because of ethical reasons. I believe in wisconsin, it is ok to bait,....if I hunt in wisconsin, am I any less of a hunter because I am using food to lure in the deer? Arent we using the cornfields, alph alpha fileds, managed food plots , etc. to do the same here in illinois?

I always say, to each their own, and if you feel it is a lesser way to hunt, that is your right and opinion.

My opinion is that if they follow the rules and regs and do not waste the meat, the end result is the same, the deer dies, and it is no lesser way to hunt

JMO before i start to get attacked
Old 10-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Killing is not the problem, it's how it's done. Not having to scout, walk, or even HUNT the critter is the problem with me. I don't bait, hardly even sit in a stand, just turn me loose in an area and i can kill a deer. I guess that's more than i can say about Texas hunters or some of the locals it looks like. They are shooters, not hunters.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2008, 04:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am not rying to argue, really, i want to see your point of view. I am not sure if you were taking a dig with the last part of your reply, but i really want to know

Why is it a problem?

I really do not see where the problem of how its done comes in?

what is the ethical difference between a shooter and a hunter? what makes what you are doing better in your eyes?

I am not trying to be a smart ass, sometimes typing is taken differently than talking,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in