lighter slug gun - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default lighter slug gun

Guys,

I have two questions:

1. I have a remington 12 ga 870 slug gun right now. does anyone have a recommendation for a lighter gun that is close in price? I would prefer a lighter gun, so just wanted to get some opinions

2. the second question leads from the first. If I went with a 20 guage would I have close to the same velocity at 100 yards as with a 12 ga? I know the ammunition will make a difference, but I was just wondering if I can have a shot at 100 yards and know that the deer is going down no problem. If so, I would think my best bet would be to go with a 20 guage for a lighter gun?
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
JP

I shoot an Ithaca Deerslayer in 12 gauge. It's much lighter than the 870 in my opinion but don't know the actual weight differences as for the velocity question check out remington, winchester or federal websites and compare. I can't imagine velocity would be too much different but the knock down power may be minimized significantly with the 20 gauge. I can comfortably tag the center of a paper plate at 75-100 yds with the deerslayer.
JP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2008, 04:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill P

Question for you is why you want a lighter gun. If for ease of carrying & to be more mobile then good, but realise that you felt recoil will be inversely proportional to the weight of the gun with the same ammo.

lighter guns in 12ga would be the Ithaca or Mossberg pumps (even cheaper). Another option for far less $$ is the NEF Handy gun single shot with your choice of barrel. Or just about any 20ga gun other than one of those massive barreled fully rifled bolt actions.

20ga has zero problem taking down any deer at 100yds. You are still firing a .69caliber 5/8 to 7/8 oz slug
Bill P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

I wanted the lighter gun for ease of carrying, how it feels when I am holding up and aiming, etc. I am not worried about the recoil, as when I switched to the hornady slugs (2 and 3/4) last year, they are awesome!
Old 12-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

I use a Remington 870 youth model in 20 ga for my deer and turkey gun. Short and light weight. The shorter stock is perfect for deer hunting when you have extra layers of clothing on and turkey hunting when sitting. The 21" barrel isn't a factor because you are not swinging it on moving birds.

It shoots like a rifle to 100 yds with sabot slugs. Something to consider.

Vince
Old 12-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

my 12 ga. Ithica, sling, locked and loaded... 7 3/4 lbs. + and the light trigger ...
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2008, 11:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jbarthelt

The 20 gauge slugs I have previously used had a higher FPS rating then the 12 gauge slugs i currently use.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info! I now am going to do a little research on pricing, etc. Thanks again!!
Old 12-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jasons8387

check out this link: http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/ultraSlug.asp

i have been using the ultra slug youth model since i was like 12, i am now 21. i havent changed because i love this gun so much. shoots like an arrow out to 75 yards and is short and very light. highly reccommend. check it out.
jasons8387 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in