Geese? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Drakebuster
Default Geese?

What do you guys think, are they still around? I was out in the yard today a little, and never saw 1. I hope they stick around a bit longer, my layout should be here in the next 5 days and would like to try and get out, as well as would like to try and get some of you that have been helping me out get out with me.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

There was still quite a few birds around the Plainfield area a few days ago.

A buddy of mine hunted Braidwood the other day, and their pit got a 5 man goose limit in under an hour.

But thats about the only thing ive seen or heard lately.
Yak Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

They are around. When the temps dip this low they will conserve their energy as best they can. Look out in a few nearby corn stubble fields. They will be lying close to the ground with their heads wrapped over their back and tucked under their wing. When the temps rise back into double digits you will see them back on the wing looking for food and water.
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

However, once most everything freezes up and the snow gets even deeper many of them will be moving to the hot tubs - Braidwood and Dresden...
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Drakebuster need not despair. He lives down by Braidwood. Those geese will not migrate any further south. They too will not move off the water until we warm up. Their instinct is to try and keep an open hole in their roosting pond. Even though the hot-tubs will not freeze, they don't know that.

As for us more northern folks many of the locals are still here. As I type this the fields near my home have thousands of geese laying low waiting out the deep freeze. They will not use up precious energy right now to fly down to the hot-tubs while it is in the single digits.

They might fly after the mercury rises above 10, but for now they are literally sitting tight.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Killed 3 Sat. morning in a quickie hunt down near the speedway. Lots of birds wanting to move though straight south. I also noticed that Renwick finally won the battle with the geese and froze over. Almost no birds left on it yesterday or today. Doesn't mean they're all gone by any means, just seems like quite a few moved down for the time being. If we get the warm weather next week like they say, some of those hot tub geese may slip back up. I've seen that before.
Tubes77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 09:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

there not really here anymore cuz lake shokankanna in channahon which i live by about 5 min away from is frooze over and all the geese in the area where there but theres a lil pond thats springed that has about 3,000 in it and about 5 snows.the river they wont go to cuz theyll get shot at so that little pond and renwwick are the only open waters i know of around.we went out saturday and they would circle but not land but sure enough we coulda limited out on ducks all 6 but no duck seasons close.another 5 days and we woulda whacked em stacked em boys.we coulda limited out on ducks geese and 1 coyote(which i missed from about 35 yards) and after this 3-6 inches of snow theyll proilly be gone
bowfisher101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 11:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default questions

I have a few questions for you guys.

What are the blinds like down in Braidwood?

Can you walk into any of them or do you need a boat?

What are the odds of getting a blind on Thursday or Friday? (I'm 2 hours away...would like to know if it would be worth the drive)

Do you all think the geese will still be there after the New Year? I was thinking about heading down on the 2nd, if so.

Are you guys talking about Braiwood Lake when you talk about the "hot tubs"? Just making sure I'm understanding.

Thanks

I'm still looking for my first goose and this might be my last chance.

SHR Berry's Queen of the Beech-Mya
Proud member of WISILL HRC
bear40doux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2008, 12:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Drakebuster

Yes Braidwood is 1 of the hottubs. As far as the blinds, they are all boat blinds, so you won't be walking to one. You must have a boat 16ft long with a 60" beam. As well as a boat blind installed and fully brushed. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of that Goosepit, you hunt it, I don't. But I hunted Mazonia every season and get pretty familiar with the regs.
Odds of drawing Thurs and Fri are good since Duck will be closed and most guys quit coming down here after that.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Dave is correct on the regs for Braidwood. It is commonly referred to as the "hot-tub".

DANGER!

You should not even consider hunting the tub unless you go out with someone familiar with the lake. People have died out there.

Half the lake is former strip-mine. The other half, shallow flats of former farm fields. Water depths go from 60' to 0' feet in an instant. You will ruin your prop, and possibly your lower unit if you are unaware of the hazard locations.

Like all the cooling lakes, it is designed to "catch the wind" in order to cool the water coming out of the nuclear plant. That makes for some treacherous waves that have been known to swamp boats. This is especially dangerous to boats with shallow drafts, overloaded with guy, gear, decoys, etc.

As if that's not enough there is the FOG. Without exaggeration, you will not be able to see more than a few feet. This makes navigation impossible for first-timers trying to locate a blind location (1' square sign) in the dark. There have been times when I couldn't even see my son in the front of the boat!

I saw some newbies out there last week. I prayed they didn't get picked in the draw. Not because I wished them bad luck. But rather didn't want to see them carried out by EMS.

Please heed these cautions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in