Waterfowl Blinds? I'm looking for ideas? Finished Blind pics - Page 2 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Jim,
Yea...man..my puter has been down for few days so I haven't been on the board, but I'm excited to come back to talk of a waterfowl blind. Get er' done! I don't know much about building one...but I'm excited to help out man!

Don't wanna steal your thread, but Mya passed with flying colors last weekend for her (our) first title.

See ya soon...let's go shoot something! I need to relieve some stress after Saturday!

SHR Berry's Queen of the Beech-Mya
Proud member of WISILL HRC
bear40doux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Congrats to the both of you! You are one up on me.

Have a bunch of chukar and going to run at our place this weekend.

Aubrey was unbelievable last weekend and I want to keep her on birds right now, wish you could have made it. I posted some pics / video. Check out my Morrison post if you haven't.

Talk to ya soon Dan.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Jim,
I took a look at that blind build site and I know where there is one just like that near by. It's in a corn field at a newly acquired forest preserve behind my church. I train Mya there in the field a lot. Let me know if you wanna check it out next week some time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2009, 06:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

Dan, would love to. Let me know what you schedule looks like.

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input here on blinds, I think I have decided on the blind design, but I still want to go check out the one you know of Dan.

Next question, looking at decoys, lots to pick from?

What type(s) do you use and why? How many do you generally use for a ground/field set up?

Trying to break into this the right way (not a big waterfowler, yet! ) and look for stuff in the "off season". Thanks for any opinions you can provide.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

Jim,
I'm finally done with all coaching obligations for the year! WHOOPEE!! Let me know when you have a chance to head up to that blind. It's on the corner of rt 60 and Wilson Rd in Grayslake. Im heading up to WIS tomorrow evening to do some training and have a softball game at 6p on Wed. Other than that I'm good to go when you are.

As far as decoys go...I've been asking some guys at my club and they recommend Big Foots with a mix of silhouettes

Old 05-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

Heck, you'll have all kinds of time off soon enough, you luck dog you!

Let me know when is a good time to look. Do you know who hunts this or owns the land? I'd like to take a look-see, but we should get the ok from someone. I am very good when it comes to accessing land, as I've had issues, and sure don't want to be anything close to a hypo!

I'm hoping to get going on the blind soon before we plant, so I can get it in place easily! It's a long ride around the place once the seed goes in!

Maybe I just need to provide the blind and invite those who have the decoys? Heck, from what I saw last year, maybe we don't need decoys?
Old 05-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #18 (permalink)

Yep..I only have 27 more days til Summer. I'm getting the summer itch!

As far as the land goes...it belongs to the the Forest Preserve. The blind has been up for a while. My Pastor said that last year the land was sold to the Forest Preserve people and blind hasn't been hunted in since. It's in the middle of a corn field behind my church. There are FP signs everywhere, but none of say "no trespassing"...just "no hunting"...so I'm pretty sure we are good to go.

I'll give you a call sometime this week about heading over.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:03 AM   #19 (permalink)

Sounds good Dan, thanks!
Old 06-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #20 (permalink)

Ok, I finally got around to deciding on a plan for a blind. I cheated a bit and started with some pallets from seed that were lying around from last years planting. I thought it would be nice to get up off the ground. I used the plan I had posted here and threw in my own style with doors on both ends as Bear40deau suggested, for easy access and ability to let dogs in and out easier! Oh, thanks again for helping get this thing started Friday. I appreciate the time you put in Dan!

This is the blind ready to split back in half as it is two modular sections that go together with 8 screws for portability on any trailer or in the back of a pick-up. Two units @3'x8' for plenty of room! Now all I need to do is get it moved to the field if it would stop raining long enough, and brush it with some of the natural cover in the area.

I plan to use this for some deer hunting as well as waterfowl hunting on our farm.

Out of time, more later! (I know, doesn't look like much at this stage! )

Ok................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................
So it took me a while to get around to this, and I won't delay any longer.

I think this blind came out great for the first one I have built, and look forward to placing it in the field and completing the dress up with natural cover vegetation!

Now I just need to invite hunters with decoys! We always have plenty of geese and ducks.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in