Public Land Arrrrgh!!! Long Story - Page 3 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to captbill

I am going to the Sportsmans Coversation Congress tomarrow and have added this to the State Park section on rule changes .

About stands in the parks , if the site allowes stands to be left up , then limit them to one stand per person .

Name and addresses and a site tag must be on the stand . Charge a fee for this . Want to leave the stand up all season ,

then you buy a season tag for your stand .

I understand some only do weekend hunts or week long hunts so you can have 3 , 5, and 7 day tags, avalible at a lesser price .

This is a convinience and a fee { not too large } should be collected .

This will also stop some from putting stands everywhere as some hunters have complained .

Fees should be higher for non residents than for residents .

See Mchenry Forest Preserve prices .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #22 (permalink)

There are many obvious good reasons for leaving a stand in an area you plan to hunt regularly. Any seasoned and reasonable sportsman would also not expect that placing and leaving a stand out in public land would stake any claim to a public hunting area. Public land means just that - public and everyone is entitled to scout and choose where they would like to hunt and they should try to do so without interfering with anotherís hunt. First to arrive should always get the right to hunt the area on public land. Any kind of sportsman would not knowingly encroach on another who had gotten to an area and set up before them and leaving a stand out does not constitute arriving first. When one leaves a stand out there is always that risk that someone else may also be hunting the same area and arrive there first. The one leaving the stand out should have a backup plan that involves not knowingly interfering with anotherís hunt. If youíre a rookie, now you know. If youíre trying to defend another point of view your just another arse in the woodspretending to be hunter. Rookies make mistakes, apologise and learn from them. You can argue this if you want, but when youíre all alone with your own thoughts, you know this is the truth. Yeah, it's a bummer when you you hike into an area, all psyched up only to find someone else set up. BUT DO THE RIGHT THING! What goes around comes around.
localyokal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 08:21 PM   #23 (permalink)

When Karen and I hunt SR , we do not hunt mornings { don't know woods well enough } when we sign in I always try to look for a spot where nobody else is so we don't bother them .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #24 (permalink)

Well said Local Yokal. Seasoned, ethical hunters always abide by the "first come first serve" rule whether it be deer hunting or waterfowling or whatever. If somebody is going to the effort of getting up earlier than me to claim a spot, they deserve that spot, period...
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 07:31 AM   #25 (permalink)

Hey Dave . I can only asume , by your continuing negative posts , that in some way Suess disturbed your hunt . Sorry about the 1/2 hr. earlier coment , I was wrong . You maybe shouldve gotten up an hr earlier , 1/2 hr wouldnt have been enough . As for the guy showin up late , climbing inhis stand anyway , Suess then moves , and 20 min. later , the guy leaves . What a stroke . Might as well have been walkin around bangin pots n pans together. Puttin up a stand and leaveing it , DOES NOT give you sole rights to hunt an area . Its public land . And he saw suess , and climbed up anyway . Did I mention , what a stroke ?

We as hunters NEED to respect each other , as well as the game and laws governing the chase . The anti's thrive on that kind of negativity . Lets all be good stewards of the sport .

PS : Hey DAVE , Say Hi to your bosses at PETA , or the Humane Soc. for me .

PETA : People Eating Tastey Animals ........... M M Good !!!!
Old 10-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #26 (permalink)

Default public land

I think if one goes thru all the trouble to put up a stand in a good spot , no one should be such a jackoff and lazy A to go sit directly up in a guys stand who payed money for it. Yes i know its public land but the stand is private if i go out to my stand and some jerk is sitting in it we are gonna have a problem . Everyone has the same chance to put up a stand or have a climber.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #27 (permalink)

Please guys think first . Yes it is wrong if someone sits in your stand . Getting into a fight is one sure way that stands will not be allowed to be left up . Complaining all the time can have a few effects . There could be a law , site rule , that any stand not occupied 1/2 hour before shooting time is then open to first come first served like they do with duck hunting blinds . The person who draw the spot for a blind must put it up , it is his , unless he does not show up . Most likely they would just have you take them down everyday .
The other thing that could happen is they drop the numbers of hunters they allow in , nobody wants that .

I think a one stand limit and a fee is in order . User fee stamp could be 3, 5 , 7 , day and seasonal . If you take your stand out everyday , no fee .

There are slob hunters always have been . When I hunted Weaver Marsh Whitewater Minn . it was a walk in , walked back 1 1/2 mile . Have had it happen that after dragging deeks , gun and shells out and finding a good spot setting up deeks , only to have some ding dong sit on top of a rat house between me and my deeks . So I know they exist . One reason I only hunt weekdays .

Now just off the top of my head I would suggest to do what we did in Minn. . When someone did something like happened to suess 79 the WORD was spread and nobody would hunt with them anymore and they were not invited to go on hunts anymore .

I do want suess79 to know that what that guy did was unforgivable .

[/b]
Old 10-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #28 (permalink)

Default Re: public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willey
I think if one goes thru all the trouble to put up a stand in a good spot , no one should be such a jackoff and lazy A to go sit directly up in a guys stand who payed money for it. Yes i know its public land but the stand is private if i go out to my stand and some jerk is sitting in it we are gonna have a problem . Everyone has the same chance to put up a stand or have a climber.
Willey, I think Seuss set up his PORTABLE stand early in the morning near a permanent stand. He wasn't climbing into somebody elses stand.

Which brings up a another point (Capt Bill). I would think there'd be liability issues and that's the reason the DNR would never condone hunting in somebody elses tree stand. Duck blinds are one thing, but a tree stand if not secured properly could be a potential lawsuit.

Personally, I think permanent stands work okay on public land in more remote areas. With the traffic Iroquois gets from all the Chicago hunters I don't think they should even allow permanent stands. Once you hunt a few times with a portable and get used to it, it takes a whole 10 minutes to set up. JMO...
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #29 (permalink)

Karen and I use a pop-up ground blind . It takes all of 5 min. to set-up and the same to take down and put back into bag . A climber is on my wish list .

You should here the horror stories that duck hunters have about spending days brushing their blinds only to come back after missing a day to see someone has broken down the brush and cattails to make room to shoot thru , left all their garbage and used the blind as a outhouse .

We as hunters have to set the good example for the kids getting into the sport .
Old 10-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #30 (permalink)

wALLDADY,

I'll tell them you said Hi.
davemattes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in