turkey hunting in Will County??? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default turkey hunting in Will County???

hey there. was trying to hunt at the Midewin Tallgrass Prarie Area so I chose Will County back in November for my permit. Then I find out Midewin has its own special category. Now I'm stuck with a Will County permit and I have no idea where to turkey hunt there. anyone know where i could start trying to find a place in Will County? this is sooo depressing
scr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 06:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Looks pretty limited for public land. Kankakee State Park allows Turkey hunting. It may be a Site Specific hunt permit too. Cant' really tell from the posted info except they allow turkey hunting. I have attached a link. It has phone contact number for info and a map. I believe the portion of the park down stream from Warner bridge ( County Line Road) is in Will County, but I don't know if that is a huntable area for turkeys. Hear them in that area in the spring Good luck.
http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/hu ... fs/knr.htm
localyokal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 07:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

There really isnt any other public ground in Will Co. (if the spot Local is talking about also has a site specific reg)

Most of the birds in Will Co. that dont live in Midewin, or the forest preserves, hang out on private property around the Wilmington area. There are pockets of birds around Plainfield, Romeoville, and out east in the Crete / Beecher area, but that is all private too. Maybe find some birds, and knock on a few doors??

Will Co. was just starting to get a healthy population of birds in the south end of the county, till the DNR trapped them, and transported them to McHenry Co. (a county with an already well established population)
Just dont understand their plans sometimes
Yak Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

I see a group near my house in Plainfield fairly regularly. It's mostly farm fields, so I'm not sure even which house I would try to contact to get access, but in the next day or so I'll drive over that way and see if there is a farmhouse that might be the owner of the property where I see these birds all the time. If I can figure it out, I'll shoot you a pm with the info.
Tubes77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

hey thanks for the info guys! looks like kankakee river state park has it's own special hunt category and those are all taken. and it's not even in will county. this blows.

tubes, that would be so awesome if you could check into that. i'd be eternally grateful.

hunting in missouri is SOOOO much less of a pain in the arse! you can litterally roll up to a gas station (one;s that sell tags) buy your turkey tags and be hunting right then. out of state cost is pricey, but for this lottery hassle i'd say it;s worth it. i'm real anti Illinois these days!
scr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Will county Turkey permit

I did the same thing as scr2000!! I have a will county Turkey permit thinking I could go to the Kankakee river state park... but Its a special permit.. If anyone knows of a place to hunt in Will Co. , please let me know... it's a shame this is my first permit in Il, and its such a pain...
thanks!
madurren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in