Need some tips on bagging a gobbler - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 04:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need some tips on bagging a gobbler

Was out scouting my property and trying to roost turkeys. What shall one do if all turkeys roost on your neighbors, a good 300-400 yards away from your property?????? I heard 3-4 different gobblers but all are out on neighbors ridge tops. My property line is separated by a 4 yard wide creek that I am guessing the turkeys are reluctant to cross to come and stay on my land. Plus all my fields are plowed and cultivated while the neighbors still have last years corn on them, thus pulling in all the hens to his fields. I however did see a hen and a gobbler wondering around my field edges once during midday on two separate occasions. I figured they were just lost My question for you guys is: how do I go around this dilemma? Should I just set up on the edge of the creek and hope to call a gobbler on the other side of the creek? If I do stay on my properties ridge tops (300-400 yards away from where turkeys roost) do I have any real chances at calling in a gobbler to my decoys? Keep in mind that my entire property is separated by that 4 yard shallow creek,,in other words turkeys must cross it to get to my land I am pronouncing my land useless for turkeys in early mornings, but hoping there might be a midday chance once gobblers start roaming around the woods looking for more hens to love.
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Need some tips on bagging a gobbler

Set up some dekes before light and call. 300-400yds isn't much...may take a little while but it only takes 1dumb jake
huntnfish79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Once on the ground, turkey don't LIKE to fly over obstacles (creeks, fences, etc) and would rather walk waaay out of their way to stay on the ground. But they will do it.

Agriculture fields aren't necessarily the best places in spring. They will dig up seeds in freshly planted fields, but bugs are also a staple in their diet. Green grassy fields can be killer. Also, creek bottoms can be excellent late morning travel routes, and could also be being used as a primary feeding area, if not much else is available.

My buddy killed one last week about noon, in the middle of the timber. Had no action in the field so slowly snuck through the property, calling until a Tom answered him back. So don't think you have to stay married to the edge of a field
Yak Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 04:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Huntnfish79, should i set up on top of the ridge or down on the bottom near the creek? you are saying that once off the roost, a turkey will travel my way a good 300-400 yards? Would you rather use a full strut decoy or a jake decoy with a hen or two? I'll be hunting beginning and mid May.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in