ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Starter bow suggestions?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  wALLDADY 
#1 ·
Looking for a starter bow. Heard good reviews on the Mission Ballistic. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

#2 ·
Mission makes a great bow, especially for the price point. Not sure what draw length, or who the bow is for etc. but I bought my wife a Mission Craze last year. That is the ideal bow for a small framed person, or a kid because it is so versatile. Draw length is something crazy like 20-28". She ended up getting her first bow kill with it too last fall. A big ol Tom turkey. Great all around bow.

Give us some more specifics, intended purpose, user stats etc. I'm sure a few of us can help dial you in.

#3 ·
you don't even need to buy a new bow. Head to your local pro shop and check out the pre-owed bows. You can get into a flagship model bow for half the price as new. You will save $$$ and have the benefit of getting it set up by the shop so it fits right. I think it's safe to say all the major brands are ok to choose from...Hoyt, Matthews, Elite, Bear, Bowtech...the list goes on and on.

#4 ·
Sorry, but i couldn't help myeslf. All I want to say is, you don't need a thousand dollar bow to be efficient with it. It kills me to see guys that think the more money they spend, the better they will be with their bow. Then they don't even practice! The only way to get better at archery, as with anything in life, is practice practice practice. Find something within your price range(probably cheap bc it is your first bow) and it doesn't need to be brand new, but if that's what you want then by all means get a new one. Some people don't like second hand things bc they have no idea what the previous owner has done to/with it. Get it set up to your specs, with the help of someone in an archery shop, get whatever extras you want. And shoot the chit out of. Practice with your broadheads when possible, the way I look at it, you don't shoot animals with field points. My best advice is practice like you are hunting down to the t. I've gone as far as putting stands up in my yard to practice out of. Know your bow, know its limitations, as well as your own. There's already enough jokers out there flinging arrows at everything inside 60 yards because they have seen it on tv. I hunt public land and have seen enough hobbling/wounded deer to last a lifetime. Have respect for the game you pursue, whatever it may be

#5 ·
Find a price range and find a bow that feels good in the hand and draws smoothly at the right draw length. Draw at the same draw weight so everything it kind of apples to apples. Won't matter what name it is unless you can figure that part out first. With todays technology every manufacturer seems to have a packed bow that will shoot well. I have one of those thousand dollar bows but I figured after 20 years of bowhunting that I deserved it. The best purchase I made over 5 years ago and I can honestly say I will have it another 20 years. I turned my old bow into a bowfishing rig and can honestly say I would kill deer with it today if I needed to. Start out with a good shop to help you. I recommend Strictly fishing and archery in Shorewood and work with the owner Scott. I have bought very little items from their but he saved my azz before a hunt and his customer service was top notch. My friend have bought 4 Mission Crazes from him and I think they are pretty sweet. Good Luck..are you looking to go hunting with one this year ?

#6 ·
My suggestions for a starter bow are these .

#1 Know a price range #2 Look at MANY different bows #3 Used bows are OK #4 Look for newer bows , ( the new technologies / over older model bows / are pretty drastic ) #5 Find one that fits YOU #6 ( said before ) PRACTICE , PRACTICE , PRACTICE , then PRACTICE some more .

I have been bow hunting for 20+ yrs . 2 yrs ago I moved to a 3 - 4 yr old Mathews . WOW what a difference it was from my older PSE . THAT was NOT an attemp to sway your feelings about a manufacturer . Just a statement about the tech. advances of a newer bow . GOOD LUCK with your new found hobby

Good Luck and Safe Trips ,,, Walldady >>----}->

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.