Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports - View Single Post - Dpr
» CLF Sponsors
Thread: Dpr
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rich F
Banned

You mentioned in a post that you are down in the Joliet area?
If so, DPR fishing down there is significantly different than up north around where the dams used to be. Up north there are quite a few wadable stretches ( more than not) and the primary fish you will catch is pike . There are a few LMB , most likely escapees from preserve lakes after floods, and you will run into schools of carp . But the carp usually are not staying in one spot to target them and the bass are almost a fluke when caught. There are dogfish farther up north and I actually caught one in the stretch between 90 and Higgins. That was a surprise to me as well.
Up here pike are found around structure. Lots of pike and lots of structure. The average pike is nothing to brag about, but there are a few really nice ones swimming around. They are easily caught in the spring and summer with inline spinners, spinnerbaits , chatterbaits, cranks, spoons , flies, almost any bait in your box. When temps cool down in the later fall and winter slowly working cranks like jerkbaits work best . Shallow baits help keep snags down.
I can't help you with the southern stretch. But there is everything from gar to muskie to be caught .
Rich F is offline   Reply With Quote