New to fishing on the river - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2018, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New to fishing on the river

New to fishing in general. I live in Elgin pretty new to fishing have only caught a couple bass and catfish. But I want to fish more and not go so far so I see that the River would be my best bet. So anything anyone could recommend would be awesome. I have a Shakespeare tiger rod and some Berkeley mono on it. I have jigs, worms, couple different size hooks, and spinner baits... Still really have no clue to what I'm doing but I like being outside. Any tips or any info would really help.
NickR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2018, 06:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ed
Administrator

Wading the river is the best way to catch fish around Elgin.
You can definitely catch them from shore but you will do better wading.

Get some curl tail grubs. and 1/16th oz jigs.
Rapala's work well too as well as inline spinners.

Look for eddy's and current edges.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Wading the river is the best way to catch fish around Elgin.
You can definitely catch them from shore but you will do better wading.

Get some curl tail grubs. and 1/16th oz jigs.
Rapala's work well too as well as inline spinners.

Look for eddy's and current edges.
The Master has spoken

I prefer to Die on my feet than Live on my knees

Quote:
2sac is not bassalarro material.
2sac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you live in Elgin, I might recommend heading North to Algonquin Dam or South to St. Charles dam.

You'll want to read this guy's site:

http://www.fishthefox.com/

I don't think he usually says where his spots are, though.

I'm not giving away my super secret spots, but well-known ones which produce are:

Above the dam on Kimball St., East side of the river. There's fish below, but also a lot of snags, I usually avoid it.

Underneath the National St. Bridge, however you can get at it.

The stretch of Poplar Creek on Raymond St., where the bike path goes through.

South end of Walton Island for Carp and Drum, maybe some cats. Bottom rigs off the south end of the island, or in the deep channel on the east side. I almost never catch bass off Walton Island.

South end park in Dundee.

Bode lakes over in (Streamwood?). I've caught channel cats, yellow bass, smallies, etc. Seen some people catch small pike. There are MONSTERS there though. You see them at dusk, nobody ever seems to catch them. The signs for ice fishing claim there's Walleye in there too. I've never had a spot with so much promise produce so little, ha ha. Maybe you'll figure it out and let us know.

If you're a late night catfishing kinda guy, the place everyone goes for that is Trout Park. Mainly because of the parking lot by the river. Every night it's not too cold or rainy, there's people hanging out there with a few rods in the water.
habeebtc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

With all due respect to Ed and any others, I disagree with the crankbait and inline spinner suggestions, especially for anglers new to fishing and the Fox River, which is loaded with rocks, downed timber, weeds, garbage, and more. Anything with an exposed hook (especially trebles) will get snagged/hung up continuously and you'll lose them which is both annoying and costly. This is something you never hear about from anglers, all you hear about is the times they catch something and how great they think this lure or that lure is. There is definitely a time and place for cranks and they absolutely catch fish, however, there's a specific way to fish them based on type, weight, swim depth, etc. and the right rod, reel, and line plays a big part in fishing cranks properly. In my opinion and based on my experience fishing the Fox from Elgin to the Chain for 15 years, you will have much more fun and catch more fish (SMB, LMB, and Walleye particularly) with weedless/snagless rigs such as Texas rigged soft plastic craws, worms, and creature baits "tex-posed" or skin-hooked which is just barely putting the hook point in to the bait's surface. Lots of info on T-rigging online. Get different weight bullet weights and experiment which work best. Tungsten bullet weights are simply awesome. Option 2 is weedless/snagless jigs, there's several kinds but primarily skirted swim jigs or football head jigs with a weed guard, tipped with a soft plastic, usually a craw, creature, chunk, or other similar bait. Practice using cranks and spinners in open or deeper water on lakes 1st, then try them in the river after you have confidence fishing them AND gain an understanding of river currents, depths, structure, etc. Lastly, fish the seams as Ed suggested - anywhere pools or slack water meets the current are key, anywhere something breaks the current. Cast upstream in to the current and bring the bait in to the slack water, cast downstream and let the current take the bait in to the slack water. Wading will allow you to fish more of the seam in one cast. Deep shorelines, shaded areas, etc. Fish the areas you know are holding fish!
brownkr111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2018, 07:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ed
Administrator

That's very true!
That's one of the reasons wading the river is the best way to go.
Most of the time when you get snagged you can just wade over to it and get it loose.

Whichever lure/jig you use, you will lose tackle fishing the river.
I'm glad I prefer jig fishing, not as costly
Old 09-29-2018, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by habeebtc View Post
If you live in Elgin, I might recommend heading North to Algonquin Dam or South to St. Charles dam.

You'll want to read this guy's site:

http://www.fishthefox.com/

I don't think he usually says where his spots are, though.

I'm not giving away my super secret spots, but well-known ones which produce are:

Above the dam on Kimball St., East side of the river. There's fish below, but also a lot of snags, I usually avoid it.

Underneath the National St. Bridge, however you can get at it.

The stretch of Poplar Creek on Raymond St., where the bike path goes through.

South end of Walton Island for Carp and Drum, maybe some cats. Bottom rigs off the south end of the island, or in the deep channel on the east side. I almost never catch bass off Walton Island.

South end park in Dundee.

Bode lakes over in (Streamwood?). I've caught channel cats, yellow bass, smallies, etc. Seen some people catch small pike. There are MONSTERS there though. You see them at dusk, nobody ever seems to catch them. The signs for ice fishing claim there's Walleye in there too. I've never had a spot with so much promise produce so little, ha ha. Maybe you'll figure it out and let us know.

If you're a late night catfishing kinda guy, the place everyone goes for that is Trout Park. Mainly because of the parking lot by the river. Every night it's not too cold or rainy, there's people hanging out there with a few rods in the water.
Thank you for posting this.
pikechaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2019, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, TBH, I agree that cranks are a great option for a beginner in the river, especially if you're wading. Snags happen with any setup and texas rigging plastics is not for beginners (though it is my go to for big river bass). My 11 yo son catches good sized smallies (12-18") by casting a small shallow diving crank diagonally upstream through the deeper pools dotted throughout the shallow riffles downstream of any dam. You don't have to drag it on the bottom, they'll nail it at a foot deep or less.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in