ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Fox adrift in skunk

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  stefanmusky 
#1 ·
stefanmusky and I gave his new boat a workout, checking trolling motor runtime, checking out dead coyotes and illegal duck blinds.... taking pics of cool sculptures... everything but catch fish! Roaches, cranks, spinners... zilch. Worked about a mile of West Dundee, found every spot that should hold fish. While the finder lasted, it marked fish several times. Nothing biting! Found a couple of deep holes, both of us had hits on cranks late in the day but it was just, one of those days.

#2 ·
hookthis said:
stefanmusky and I gave his new boat a workout, checking trolling motor runtime, checking out dead coyotes and illegal duck blinds.... taking pics of cool sculptures... everything but catch fish! Roaches, cranks, spinners... zilch. Worked about a mile of West Dundee, found every spot that should hold fish. While the finder lasted, it marked fish several times. Nothing biting! Found a couple of deep holes, both of us had hits on cranks late in the day but it was just, one of those days.
yeah it was cool to take the boat out and overall im impressed with it, i think an extra battery is good insurance, when on a river in that kind of current, yeah dont know whats up with the fish finder, hope it works, will try it with new battery's, yeah i mean we were in some great picture perfect spots, i mean we seen a dead coyote, a deer carcass, alot (probably 20 live deer) a muskrat, lots of birds and some very pissed off geese, lol, seen some very very interesting shoreline decorations, but no fish, well i hate to say it but it is the first time all year i got SKUNKED lol, but we both know we could of took the easy road and got the guaranteed smallie at the spot, lol, we will find these damm toothy critters.

#3 ·
If you're looking for muskie or northerns, creek mouths are what I would target this time of year.
1 year I caught 20 pike in a 3 week period.
24" up to 38" fishing the same creek mouth from shore after work each day.
I would just toss out a large fathead 18" under a float.
I found adding the little red plastic piece from a swedish pimple to the plain hook helped.
The next year I added 2 muskie to the mix, again from shore.
1 was 38" and the other was 44".
2 great years fishing the same creek mouth.
The water warms quicker in the creeks and as it enters the river it attracts smaller fish which of course
become easy meals for the toothy ones.

#4 ·
my standard spot involves a hole near a creek mouth but it's got too much shallow flats to hold a ton of fish. I have my eye on several publicly-accessible creek mouths to beat on. We worked one today without success, spooked a couple of big fish but max depth was 3'. I threw a #5 Aglia in yellow/black bucktail, and a small Rapala worked in jerkbait style all up and down the creek and the sunken wood at its mouth, and even a large roach thrown into current breaks got me nowhere. I let it drift for probably 200' at a time, and Matt drifted one 18" over a 7' hole without a nibble. meh, plenty more fishin season to come. Some days you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant.

#5 ·
Ed said:
If you're looking for muskie or northerns, creek mouths are what I would target this time of year.
I found adding the little red plastic piece from a swedish pimple to the plain hook helped.
The water warms quicker in the creeks and as it enters the river it attracts smaller fish which of course
thanks ed, when the fish finder was working it did show the creek waters were about 53 and the river was about 48, :), hey ed judson? maybe? :)if you want to give me any clues to this particular creek mouth as all creeks are not the same, and it shows you found a good 1 ?

#6 ·
Ed said:
nice catches by the way :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.